First Whole 30 - an experience

Lrjones

I started my first Whole 30 on January 1. I have been eating pretty strict Paleo before this, with a bit of falling off during the holidays. :( it has been going pretty good, but I am at Day 15 and the past few days I have been extremely hungry or maybe tired, I have the problem of confusing the two. I also have serious sweet cravings, it is terrible! I have also found myself eating a few too many nuts and creeping up the amount of fruit. I am trying to cut these back, but it is hard to fight the cravings.

I was also very meticulous about measuring food before I started this, but have tried to not weigh anything during this Whole 30. I am very active, I work in a fitness facility and am training for some long distance races upcoming in the next few months. I also strength train 5 days a week. I haven't logged any meals but I want to begin doing this and hopefully get some feedback on how I can improve. I also am very paranoid of accidentally eating something I shouldn't! I have dreamed I did that and was so upset about it. So, here is today's plan:

M1: spinach and 2 eggs, half an avocado, small portion of leftover text mex casserole and coffe with 2tbsp coconut milk and cinnamon

Post Workout: acorn squash, organic chicken, topped with a homemade cranberry/apple/banana sauce

M2: spaghetti squash, bison meatballs, homemade tomato sauce, and acorn squash

M3: lettuce, guacamole, shredded pork, Pico de gallo

When I have been totally sweet craving I have had berries(blue, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) mixed with a few pecans and coconut milk. I try to avoid doing this, but sometimes I just give in!

Any feedback would be appreciated, and I will keep posting my meals. Why have I not been doing this!?!?!

I started my first Whole 30 on January 1. I have been eating pretty strict Paleo before this, with a bit of falling off during the holidays. :( it has been going pretty good, but I am at Day 15 and the past few days I have been extremely hungry or maybe tired, I have the problem of confusing the two. I also have serious sweet cravings, it is terrible! I have also found myself eating a few too many nuts and creeping up the amount of fruit. I am trying to cut these back, but it is hard to fight the cravings.

I was also very meticulous about measuring food before I started this, but have tried to not weigh anything during this Whole 30. I am very active, I work in a fitness facility and am training for some long distance races upcoming in the next few months. I also strength train 5 days a week. I haven't logged any meals but I want to begin doing this and hopefully get some feedback on how I can improve. I also am very paranoid of accidentally eating something I shouldn't! I have dreamed I did that and was so upset about it. So, here is today's plan:

M1: spinach and 2 eggs, half an avocado, small portion of leftover text mex casserole and coffe with 2tbsp coconut milk and cinnamon

Post Workout: acorn squash, organic chicken, topped with a homemade cranberry/apple/banana sauce

M2: spaghetti squash, bison meatballs, homemade tomato sauce, and acorn squash

M3: lettuce, guacamole, shredded pork, Pico de gallo

When I have been totally sweet craving I have had berries(blue, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) mixed with a few pecans and coconut milk. I try to avoid doing this, but sometimes I just give in!

Any feedback would be appreciated, and I will keep posting my meals. Why have I not been doing this!?!?!

I wonder with the level of activity you have, if you should be eating more?  

I'm not clear on your portion sizes, but maybe try eating the upper end of the meal template (2 palms of protein, 3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat per meal)?  Your M3, in particular, looks light on veggies.

An egg serving is the amount of eggs you can hold in your hand. For some folks, that's more than 2.

Also, pre and post WO meals should not include fruit. Limit your 1-2 daily fruit servings (serving = size of your fist) to have with or immediately after your main meals.

Finally, are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

• Moderators

A useful thing when you are battling cravings is to eat more protein, fat, and veggies so that you are genuinely full. Like Chris said, eat at the upper end of the meal template guidelines. The idea is to be so full of meat and veggies that you can easily pass on fruit and nuts. And like Chris said, you need to eat seriously when you are training as much as you report. By eating light and training like this, your metabolism slows, which inhibits your recovery and your ability to release fat. 

Thanks for the feedback, I think I do need to drink more water. Some days are better than others, but I'm not sure I'm getting half my body weight in ounces. I will also make an effort to keep including more protein and eat more towards the top end of the template, especially while training. Hopefully this will help with getting away from the fruit and nuts and my hunger status.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for fueling during a long run/race while that is W30 approved? I have been using LaraBars, but looking for options that are easily portable during a run.

Thanks!

Does anyone have a good suggestion for fueling during a long run/race while that is W30 approved? I have been using LaraBars, but looking for options that are easily portable during a run.

Thanks!

Search through the W30 for athletes forum as this has been talking about a lot there. Personally I don't add any fuel when doing long runs/races. I train at the half marathon level. I usually do cut my water with coconut water on long runs and race day especially if it is hot. Other than that I get a first meal of primarily protein and fat an hour or two before my run and that seems to be fine for me. 

Okay, so I was highly frustrated yesterday about being darn hungry ALL day. I am pretty sure I ate enough, but just couldn't get rid of the hungry feeling. I almost wanted to just give up...but I decided not to do that and try to make some tweaks today to do better. Here's today's outlook:

M1: 2 cups spinach, 3 eggs, 1/2 avocado, coffee with 1 tbsp coconut milk and cinnamon

Strength Training and Cross Training Workout today

Post Workout: 3-4 oz chicken, 1/2 cup acorn squash

M2: 6oz homemade meatloaf, 1 cup of each: cauliflower, kale, and buttercup squash

M3: 1 split chicken breast with almond meal breading, zucchini ribbons, and homemade Italian tomato sauce, 2 cups salad with tomatoes, peppers, 1tbsp guacamole and 1tbsp olive oil and vinegar for dressing

It's only M2 time, and so far today is going better minus I only got in 5 hours of sleep last night :( I am also being more conscious on my water intake for today. 75oz is the goal!

Archived