EvaK's Whole 30 Log

EvaK

This is my firstmWhole 30 and I was supposed to start on January 6, but was hit with a nasty stomach flu the night before and was so sick that I had to postpone my starting date to Friday, January 10.

As I was so sick for four days because of the stomach flu I experienced fever, chills, headaches, tiredness etc I did feel pretty well once I started my Whole 30, despite major lack of appetite.

It hasonly been in the past two days or so that I have experienced being really tired despite going to bed early, but then I never sleep very well around a full moom. We'll see jow things progress.

I'm a bit late with my food log, but I wanted it documented to be able to see if there is room for improvement!

Day 1:

-2 eggs, spinach, yellow pepper, a small onion, half an avocado

-shrimp veggie stir fry with cashews, one kiwi

-salad with tuna, cucumber, tomatoes, half an avocado and half a pomegranate

Day 2:

-2 eggs, spinach, pepper, onion, sunflower seeds and a tangerine

-salmon, carrots, Brussel sprouts, mushrooms, cashews, coconut milk, few pieces of pineapple

-chicken, sweet potatoe with coconut oil, cauliflower, broccoli, mushrooms, carrots

Day 3:

-2 eggs, mushrooms, zucchini, half an avocado, 1 tangerine and black,teamwith a little bit coconut milk

-2 eggs, mushrooms, carros, broccoli, cauliflower, sweet potatoe with ghee and a few cashews, half a pomegranate

-pork fillet, leeks, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, half an avocado

Day4:

-2 eggs, mushrooms, zucchini, cashews

- chicken curry with peppers, onions, zucchini, green beans, mushrooms and cashews

-chicken, sweet potatoe, veggies and Brazil nuts

Day 5:

-2 eggs, 3 slices prosciutto, spinach and Brazil nuts

-Well fed chicken, sweet potatoe, Brussel sprouts, carrots and cashews

-chicken curry from yesterday

Day 6:

-2 eggs, 3 slices prosciutto, spinach, cashew nuts and a banana

-chicken, Brussel,sprouts, carrots, cashews and a small apple

-chicken curry, cumin roasted carrots and a kiwi

Day 7:

-2 eggs, 2 slices prosciutto, carrotsmand Brazil nuts

-salmon, stir-fried veggies and cashews

-cauli rice pilaw from Well Fed, chicken and half an avocado

• Moderators

Two eggs means you are eating a small breakfast. The meal template standard is as many eggs as you can hold in one hand. You might want to move up to three eggs. 

The amount of fat you are getting seems good, although nuts figure in a lot of meals for you. I personally eat two Brazil nuts every day as a source of selenium. Handfuls of Brazil nuts, however, are not a good choice because they deliver too many omega6 fatty acids. Cashews are better on that front, but I would like to see you diversify to some other fat sources. 

Two eggs means you are eating a small breakfast. The meal template standard is as many eggs as you can hold in one hand. You might want to move up to three eggs. 

The amount of fat you are getting seems good, although nuts figure in a lot of meals for you. I personally eat two Brazil nuts every day as a source of selenium. Handfuls of Brazil nuts, however, are not a good choice because they deliver too many omega6 fatty acids. Cashews are better on that front, but I would like to see you diversify to some other fat sources.

Thank you very much for your feedback Tom, I appreciate it!

I use coconut oil and ghee for preparing my meat, eggs and veggies, and just add some nuts, not handfuls, but will follow your advice and upp the quantities of oils and leave the nuts out. I started with two eggs after my stomach flu, as I am regaining my strength and appetite I will increase the number eventually.

Day 8:

-2 eggs, spinach and half an avocado

-chicken, carrots, cauli rice pilaw and cashews

-tuna, cucumbers, pepper and 1 tangerine as salad with evoo

Day 9:

-2 eggs, prosciutto, onion, zucchini,,spinach and coconut oil

-tuna, cucumber, pepper, olives and evoo, carrots, pilaw, 1 banana and half a clementine

-pork fillet strips, red pepper, onions, Brussel sprouts, ghee, half an avocado and some pomegranate

Day 10:

-scramled eggs with prosciutto, pilaw, carrots and ghee, half an avocado

-chocolate chili, zucchini noodles, pistacchios and a tangerine

-pork fillet atrips, onion, green beans, ghee, pomegranate

The weekend was ok, I missed my one glass of wine I have on Friday night.

I won't miss having to eat so much meat though, I hope I'll be able to pull through to the end.

Sometimes I just want to eat a big plate of veggies, and just veggies and nothing else, sigh.

That's the only complaint I have so far in my journey!;)

it is funny how many people complain about eating so much meat.  You could eat more fish, grilled salmon is easy.  I also use ground turkey instead of ground beef in lots of things (spaghetti sauce, chili, mix with a sweet potato for breakfast).  enjoy all those veggies though!

it is funny how many people complain about eating so much meat.  You could eat more fish, grilled salmon is easy.  I also use ground turkey instead of ground beef in lots of things (spaghetti sauce, chili, mix with a sweet potato for breakfast).  enjoy all those veggies though!

Thanks for stopping by and for your tips!:)

I have a general meat and fish fatigue I guess, I meant everything protein!

I had salmon twice last week and really enjoyed it, it is just a general blah about having to eat a protein and so much of it at EVERY meal.

I'm sure (well, I hope!) that it will get better!!!

PS the ground turkey you can buy here in Germany is full of additives and hardly ever available, no comparison to the US!:(

Yes, there aren't a lot of protein options for vegetarian meals :(  Sorry about the ground turkey.  One thing I do is make a curry with leftover meat (pork tenderloin is my favorite choice).  Lots of veggies and flavor with less meat.  You don't have to put too much meat in the chili either.  I quarter button mushrooms, slice carrots into coins and grate a zuchinni along with canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder.  I throw it all in the slow cooker, crazy yummy.  And you can serve it over "cauliflower rice" if you want it thicker and more veggies.  Good luck!

Yes, there aren't a lot of protein options for vegetarian meals :(  Sorry about the ground turkey.  One thing I do is make a curry with leftover meat (pork tenderloin is my favorite choice).  Lots of veggies and flavor with less meat.  You don't have to put too much meat in the chili either.  I quarter button mushrooms, slice carrots into coins and grate a zuchinni along with canned tomatoes, tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder.  I throw it all in the slow cooker, crazy yummy.  And you can serve it over "cauliflower rice" if you want it thicker and more veggies.  Good luck!

Thanks alot for even more great tips!:)

I think I will make a curry tomorrow! I finished the chocolate chili this evening, as well as all the veggies from the crisper drawer, so I'll hit the supermarket tomorrow and see what they have what "smiles at me", lol!

Day 11:

-2 eggs, peppers, carrots, ghee, one banana

-pork fillet strips, onion, zucchini, Brussel sprouts and ghee

-chili, Brussel sprouts, green beans, half an avocado

Day 12:

-2 eggs, green beans, half an avocado

-chili, zucchini, peppers, coconut oil and 2 tbsp pistachios

-chili, leeks, carrots, broccoli, ghee, 1 kiwi, a small clementine

I have been craving cheese, but that might be due to the fact that our fridge is still full of raclette cheese from the holidays.

My husband can even eat pretzels (he always asks first and is very supportive in what I do and steals my chocolate chili, lol) and I do not mind. Also when baking the bread for my family I do not necessarily want to eat it, which helps.

I do not notice very much of a difference yet to before, no comparison to what others are describing. Maybe due to the fact that we do not eat sugar, have no sodas except for birthdays and then a small glass as a treat, do eat out maybe once every three months, I rarely drink alcohol and we do not buy things with additives, colouring etc.

Oh, and at a Turkish grocery store I found sweet potatoes for 2,99 € a kilo, which is the lowest I have ever seen!:) Normally they are 4,99 € a kilo. They are more of a special ingredient than an everyday food.

You are so brave to bake bread without falling to temptation--I could never! The only things I'm cooking for others are Whole30-compliant (although I have the luxury of a childfree Whole30). That's great that your husband is supporting you. A lot of people get weirdly threatened when someone makes a major improvement in their eating habits.

No difference for you in energy?

You are so brave to bake bread without falling to temptation--I could never! The only things I'm cooking for others are Whole30-compliant (although I have the luxury of a childfree Whole30). That's great that your husband is supporting you. A lot of people get weirdly threatened when someone makes a major improvement in their eating habits.

No difference for you in energy?

Thank you for dropping by!:)

Oddly enough I really don't mind about the bread and other things.

What makes me sad though is the fact that I am eating different meals from my family all the time, personally I think it is not a good example to the children to eat different foods. Some times we do it, but that is on leftover night rather than a normal thing.

My husband is cutting back on other things like coffee, sweets and chips and focused on eating more greens and fruit, so in a way we share the goal to improve our health.

Oh, and regarding my energy levels, I still feel pretty normal as I do most of the time. Still waiting for the burst of enery I was promised, lol!

I have been reading the forums but not posting anything, but here is my food log update.

Day 13:

-2 eggs, Brussel sprouts, olives

-chicken veggie curry with cashews

-not written down, I think tuna and veggies

Day14:

-2 eggs, veggie mix, half an avocado

-shrimp curry, mushrooms, zucchini

-tuna, veggie mix, half an avocado

Day15:

-2 eggs, mushrooms, Brockoli, olives

-curry, red peppers

-sardines, cucumber, peppers, carrot, evoo

Day 16:

-2 eggs, mushrooms, zucchini, half an avocado

-half a sweet potatoe with coconut oil, Bolognese sauce and carrots

-half a sweet potatoe, half an avocado, Bolognese sauce, peppers, cucumbers and carrots

I had my first coffee (more like an espresso) since January 5.

Day 17:

-2 eggs, mushrooms, zucchini, olives

-tuna, peppers, carrots, olives, evoo

-fish veggie soup, extra evoo

Day 18:

-2 eggs, spinach, peppers, half an avocado

- fish veggie soup, extra evoo, dash coconut milk in my coffee

-Ratatouille with beef, extra evoo

I am still,waiting for any big changes to happen. Maybe this week?!

Day 19 today!

-2 eggs, mushrooms, spinach and half an avocado

-Raratoille with beef, extra evoo, apple and five grapes, coconut espresso

-chicken curry with cashews

I think I am coming down with a cold, my throat started hurting this afternoon.

Normally I'd take echinacea drops as they always help me, but I am wonderingmwhether they are allowed as they contain alcohol? On the other hand if it turns into a full blown cold I might have to take other medicines......will see how I feel after the children are in bed which should be in about an hour. I made the curry extra hot so it burns the bacteria out of my throat, lol.

Still no difference. I am getting so tired of all the protein, I have eaten more meat in the last 19 days than I have probably eaten in the last two years combined. I do not have cravings and can deal well with food temptations, but I am looking forward to not having to eat so much meat after I am done. Right now I do not see that it is in any way helpful for me. But I will pull through my 30+10 days reintroduction!!!!!

Day 19 today!

-2 eggs, mushrooms, spinach and half an avocado

-Raratoille with beef, extra evoo, apple and five grapes, coconut espresso

-chicken curry with cashews

I think I am coming down with a cold, my throat started hurting this afternoon.

Normally I'd take echinacea drops as they always help me, but I am wonderingmwhether they are allowed as they contain alcohol? On the other hand if it turns into a full blown cold I might have to take other medicines......will see how I feel after the children are in bed which should be in about an hour. I made the curry extra hot so it burns the bacteria out of my throat, lol.

Still no difference. I am getting so tired of all the protein, I have eaten more meat in the last 19 days than I have probably eaten in the last two years combined. I do not have cravings and can deal well with food temptations, but I am looking forward to not having to eat so much meat after I am done. Right now I do not see that it is in any way helpful for me. But I will pull through my 30+10 days reintroduction!!!!!

Feel better soon!

Try hot water with a tbs of raw apple cider vinegar for your throat. I also like hot water with lemon. Up your fluids and try to get some homemade bone broth if you can. Struggling through a cold myself right now so I feel your pain.

Thank you for the tip!:) I did try it out and at least my cold did not get any worse! I drank it in turn with fennel-aniseed-cumin tea which is my go-to remedy.

Hopefully you'll feel better soon!

Thank you for the tip! :) I did try it out and at least my cold did not get any worse! I drank it in turn with fennel-aniseed-cumin tea which is my go-to remedy.

Hopefully you'll feel better soon!

That fennel-aniseed-cumin tea sounds yummy. Is that something store-bought, or is it a home made concoction? Would love to hear more about it.

Day 20 finished!

I did not sleep very well due to my sore throat, so was pretty tired today.

No exercise today as the wind was really cold and I was miserable. Walked my daughter to kiga and back, so at least some fresh air.

-2 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, half an avocado

-Ratatouille with beef, some grapes

-chicken curry with cashews, cucumbers

That fennel-aniseed-cumin tea sounds yummy. Is that something store-bought, or is it a home made concoction? Would love to hear more about it.

Hi, thanks for stopping by!

Fennel-aniseed-cumin tea is a staple in German households, used for colds, stomach upsets, for inhaling when you have a cold and just so during the day or the evening as it is actually pretty tasty.

It is also used after birth to help to produce more milk for the baby. Then we call it nursing tea and it has other herbs mixed in as well.

You can get it in pretty much every store, but can also have it mixed at the pharmacy. It is 40% fennel, 40% aniseed and 20% cumin.

We buy organic from Alnatura:

http://m.alnatura.de/Alnatura%20Produkte/Produktsuche/Fenchel-Anis-Kuemmel%20Tee%2020%20Beutel

Hi, thanks for stopping by!

Fennel-aniseed-cumin tea is a staple in German households, used for colds, stomach upsets, for inhaling when you have a cold and just so during the day or the evening as it is actually pretty tasty.

It is also used after birth to help to produce more milk for the baby. Then we call it nursing tea and it has other herbs mixed in as well.

You can get it in pretty much every store, but can also have it mixed at the pharmacy. It is 40% fennel, 40% aniseed and 20% cumin.

We buy organic from Alnatura:

http://m.alnatura.de/Alnatura%20Produkte/Produktsuche/Fenchel-Anis-Kuemmel%20Tee%2020%20Beutel

Thanks. Unfortunately US pharmacists don't mix tea.  :)  I wonder if an herbalist in the US would be a good source.

I see something equivalent on Amazon, but it says pack of 2. Can you translate what it says at the top of the box after the number 25? I'm hoping it might contain 25 tea bags. http://www.amazon.com/Goldm%C3%A4nnchen-Tee-Fennel-Anise-Cumin-Pack/dp/B0012GSCCE

Thanks. Unfortunately US pharmacists don't mix tea.  :)  I wonder if an herbalist in the US would be a good source.

I see something equivalent on Amazon, but it says pack of 2. Can you translate what it says at the top of the box after the number 25? I'm hoping it might contain 25 tea bags. http://www.amazon.com/Goldmännchen-Tee-Fennel-Anise-Cumin-Pack/dp/B0012GSCCE

Yes, one pack contains 25 tea bags, and each tea bag contains 2 g tea (0,07 ounces).the price is pretty high for 50 tea bags, but you always pay so much more for things that have to be imported.

Day 21 finished!:)

I had:

-2 eggs,,spinach, mushrooms, half an avocado

-chicken, stir-fry veggies, sweet potato, coconut oil

-chicken curry with cashews, sweet potatoe

This morning I was feeling better and I walked for an hour, but right now (9 pm) my throat is hurting a lot more.

For the first time since starting the Whole 30 I felt a bit leaner, not bloated. My stomach still feels uncomfortable with three rather big meals a day. That feeling passes after one to two hours, but I hate feeling so stuffed.

Tomorrow evening we have a parent kiga teacher meet up in my favourite Thai restaurant. I went there today to ask about options for me, but they said to just hand the waiter a note with what I cannot have and they would accommodate me. Hmmmmm, still not sure if I can trust them,or not. I might eat at home and just have sparkling water. I am going for the social aspect, more than for the food. I really wanted to discuss it quietly today and avoid doing it at the table with all eyes on me. Over here it is just not common to customize your orders like you can do in the US and like I have read here on the boards.

*sigh*

Day 22:

-2 eggs, spinach, mushrooms, half an avocado

-Ratatouille with salmon and extra evoo

-chicken with veggies at a Thai restaurant.

I was actually scared concerning the restaurant visit, but it went quite well and I'm glad I was there!:)

I handed the head waiter a little post-it with what to avoid, he came back after talking to the chef and said they would cook it acvording to my requirements but it would taste pretty bland.

It was not the best I have ever eaten there, but totally ok and I went for the company.

I was actually quite astonished that people were rather understanding about eating in a special way!

I felt slimmer inmthe morning, but had a stomach ache after eating the ratatouille that lasted well into the early evening. Not pleasant at all. I took 25 drops Iberogast and was ok after that and some fennel tea.

Archived