Post-Workout Drinks

Dominik

Hi everyone. Day two of the Whole30 (by the way, I made mayonnaise for the very first time yesterday and even if I didn't eat Paleo, I would NEVER go back to store bought mayo!). But this post is about something else.

I lift weights and usually I would have weigh protein post-workout. Any recommendations for Paleo friendly post-workout powders or would an egg or two suffice? What is the best way to replenish protein and BCAAs on the Paleo diet?

I've seen some Paleo friendly shakes out there but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions. Thanks!

• Moderators

Shakes and powders don't measure up during a Whole30. After a workout, eat some lean protein - chicken breast is the gold standard. I typically eat tuna packed in water when I eat a post-workout meal because it is convenient to take a can to workouts and not have to worry about refrigeration. The idea is to avoid fat after a workout because it slows digestion, so eggs are a poor choice. You can eat one or two eggs before a workout as a pre-workout meal. Here is the Whole9/Whole30 meal template that outlines how much to eat for regular, pre- and post-workout meals: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

I went to a StrongFirst kettlebell training that lasted over 8 hours yesterday. An instructor made me move down to lighter weights twice during practice sets because she said it was a long day and I needed to save something for later. I set new personal records in getups and presses. I am literally the strongest I have ever been in my life and I have not drunk a shake in years. Eating real, whole foods is amazing for supporting serious training. 

I went to a StrongFirst kettlebell training that lasted over 8 hours yesterday. An instructor made me move down to lighter weights twice during practice sets because she said it was a long day and I needed to save something for later. I set new personal records in getups and presses. I am literally the strongest I have ever been in my life and I have not drunk a shake in years. Eating real, whole foods is amazing for supporting serious training. 

Totally high-jacking this post, but way to go Tom! Great work!  :)  :)  :D  :D

Archived