NRitchie77 Whole 30

Nritchie77

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apologize if you answered this question before, but what are the biggest differences between Whole30 and how you were eating before. That might help us make some suggestions. For example if this is a lot more protein than you are used to than you might want to try digestive enzymes for a while to help your body adjust its digestion. If you were eating a lot of dark chocolate before you might need to supplement with magnesium and/or up your dark leafy greens. Just some examples.

What kind of enzymes do you suggest? I replied to your post in my post above this one. I just learned how to use the quote feature so you knew I responded so I hope I did this correctly

What kind of enzymes do you suggest? I replied to your post in my post above this one. I just learned how to use the quote feature so you knew I responded so I hope I did this correctly

I've not taken them personally as I did fine with the transition. This post might help: http://whole9life.com/2012/09/digestive-enzymes-101/

Based on your response I do think you just need to give the transition more time and I think the enzymes might help. You are perfectly on with the timeline as Day 8 is "oh for the love of Gosling, my pants are tighter"

I might also suggest adding some fermented foods to the mix like raw sauerkraut or kombucha, consider sticking to cooked vegetables until the bloating calms down, and making sure you get enough water.

Really the first two weeks are the hardest especially if you are coming from as different a style of eating as you are. Hang in there!

Are these ingredients OK?  This is for the Klaire Labs Vital-zymes.

Sugar Specific Enzymes     spacer.gif    Lactase 1,500 ALU * spacer.gif    Sucrase (invertase) 135 INVU * spacer.gif    Maltase 200 DP (300 MWU) * spacer.gif    Pullulanase (debranching enzyme with isomaltase side chain activity) 25 PUN

Sugar Specific Enzymes     spacer.gif    Lactase 1,500 ALU * spacer.gif    Sucrase (invertase) 135 INVU * spacer.gif    Maltase 200 DP (300 MWU) * spacer.gif    Pullulanase (debranching enzyme with isomaltase side chain activity) 25 PUN

I'm going to poll the other moderators because I'm not entirely sure.

Here are some other ingredients for Klaire Labs.  It also does not say that it is gluten free.  Other Ingredients: Vegetarian capsule (hydroxypropyl methylcellulose, water), vegetable oil powder, and cellulose. 

I think I am going to just get the NOW Foods since this is the only brand that I can find that states that it is not manufactured with wheat, gluten, soy, milk, egg, fish or shellfish. 

Actually Thorne states it doesn't include those items either...

Suggestions....  What do others recommend for digestive enzymes:  Thorne or NOW Foods

Day 9 2/5:

I fell asleep faster last night and was in a deep sleep and than got woken up around 12:30 AM to my baby crying (and she always sleeps through the night). Fell back asleep around 1:00 AM only to be woke up again around 3:30-4:00 AM to the construction workers trucks dropping off grass this morning and my dogs barking like crazy about it. I was almost that crazy lady running outside to yell at them but was too tired. I fell back asleep around 4:30 AM (which was the time I wanted to get up so I can go work out this morning) and woke back up around 7:30 tired. I will be working out at 4:00 PM now.

I don't know if it's the cinnamon and nutmeg I've been putting in my black coffee every morning or if my digestive system is just starting to work better but I literally have to RUN to the bathroom every morning (well, yesterday and today) which I like (well maybe not the having to run part) because I have had constipation issues my whole life.. and being on all my other shake diets previously only made it worse.

I will say, I feel lighter today whatever that means... I don't feel as bloated...still bloated and gassy but not as bad. Maybe that my gut is healing itself. I'm hoping that once I get the enzymes and start taking them I will feel much better!

Meal 1: 2.5 egg muffins (I felt full, but thinking I should have forced myself to eat the rest of the last muffin because I am going to end up hungry). Still not hungry, so I guess 2.5 was good for me today.

Meal 2: 2 chicken tostidos that were left over from last night and 1/2 cup of the rest of my sweet potato chips.

Meal 3: 2 Macadamia nut crusted sea bass w/a mixture of fresh veggies cooked in 1 TBL spoon coconut oil.

Ok I'm adding a new goal to my above list! I need to cut back on my portuons. I think I'm doing good for meal 1 & 2 but meal 3 I'm eating 2 handfuls of protein and maybe 4 helping of fat (normally I cook with 1-2 TBL spoons of coconut oil, I add nuts fruit and avocado on my salad + my paleo ranch dressing maybe this is why I am gaining weight and not losing weight. I think I need to keep my protein servings to 1 handful and my fats 2 per meal!

I made it to the gym again today so far I'm 2/6. I'm on track to reach my goal.

Now if I can just get up at 4:30 am and go to the gym in the morning that would be stellar!

Good night whole30ers

What I got back was since these are enzymes and not sugars they should be fine. I see that you went with a different brand. There has been some discussion about whether the NOW ones are still compliant or not. Did you order from Amazon or did you buy in a store?

I haven't ordered yet.  I was waiting until you responded.  I like the write up on the Klaire labs and the thorne????

As far as I can tell looks like either will be fine. Like I said I'm not an expert on this subject. As long as the ingredient list doesn't have off plan ingredients though you should be fine.

Day 10 2/6:

I slept better than I have last night in a very long time. I didn't wake up once for any reason!!! I did wake up at 4:30 AM to my alarm clock but was still exhausted and did not get up. So I shut my alarm off and went back to sleep until what seems to be my norm 7:30 AM.

So it's good that I finally got rest last night, but not so good that I still don't pop right up in the morning and I'm on my 10th day. I did look on the timeline this morning and it says I should start feeling that burst of energy everyone is talking about starting on day 12. I am definitely looking forward to that!

Meal 1: 7:45 AM black coffee w/cinnamon & nutmeg.
8:00 AM 3 egg french omelette w/veggies that were cooked in coconut oil the night before. I used 1TBL of olive oil to cook my eggs in. This meal is perfect. fills me up, it's easy to make and I don't feel fat and bloated after eating it. Good portion of fats, protein, & veggies

12:00 - 1:00 PM elliptical for 1 hour :)  3/6... Only 3 more days to reach my goal

Meal 2:1:45 PM I had 1 piece of the macadamia nut crusted fish and 1.5 cups of veggies left over from last nights dinner. Very good. Feel satisfied.

Meal 3: 7:15 PM handful of grass fed sirloin with green bell peppers red bell peppers and onion with a salad with avocado, butter lettuce spinach handful of mixed nuts (cashew, macadamia, almonds) and dried cranberries and apples. 4 plums.

I'm having some cravings today
1) I want a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (which I never eat)
2) I wanted creamer in my coffee this morning
3) After dinner I really want something sweet bad

But I'm not folding. I just keep telling myself how bad they are and how it won't taste good anyways.

Day 11 2/7:

I slept really good again last night! That is 2 days in a row people.  I set my alarm for 5:45 this morning and low-and-behold I got up and made it to the gym by 6AM!  WAAAHHOOOO... Still want to wake up easier and feeling better.  It took a bit of effort to make this happen this morning.  

Today was my husbands birthday so I spent the day cooking and prepping meals for the party this evening.  We had a pre-marinated tri-tip.  The meat market couldn't tell me the ingredients in the marinade but I have had it before and can guarantee there is sugar in there somewhere so I also made myself a pineapple curry cauliflower rice and easy salmon patties.  So when everyone sat down to eat dinner I ate that :)  Piece of cake.  I also baked my husband his favorite cake and didn't even feel tempted to lick the spoon!  Normally half the batter is gone before I even bake the cake and end up with a mini cupcake in the end.  OKAY i'm not that bad, but pretty close! 

Needless to say I am pretty proud of myself and my willpower today.  Because I spent the day mentally preparing myself and precooked my meal it really was easy to say NO to the frankenfoods and say yes to my whole clean foods :)  Secretly I knew mine tasted better anyways and I made enough of the rice for everyone to try and everyone was raving over it and requested the recipe :)

6:00 - 7:00 AM RIPPED (4/6) on track!

Meal 1:  7:15 AM 3 egg omelette w/veggies

since I was running errands my lunch came later than planned but I stayed full and kept my energy...

Meal 2:  2:30 PM 1.5 hamburger patties (grass fed meat) and veggies.  I ate my food slower today and noticed I was full after 1.5 of my patty I waited about 10 minutes still felt full and wrapped up the rest of my patty and put it in the fridge for a just in case I needed a snack because of all the chips and crap from the party... OH AND THE MARGARITAS!!!  I said NO to the MARGARITAS.  I get a gold star!  

Meal 3:  6:45 PM 2 salmon patties, pineapple cauliflower rice.

My natural calm came in the mail tonight so I will be drinking that this evening.  

Day 12 2/8:

I didn't sleep through out the night as I did the last two nights? I woke up a few times, but don't remember why. I did have weird dreams too but not of food? But I did sleep hard if that makes sense? I set my alarm for 6:30 AM this morning and I have no clue what happened but I think I laid in bed simi awake this morning waiting for the alarm to go to finally just get up to realize it was 7:50!

Ya so when my alarm went off at 6:30 PM I realized that I didn't sleep walk and shut my alarm off this morning duh!

UGGGGHHH

Meal 1: 9:00 1 salmon patty and vegetables kept me full Tull lunch. I ate slow and I noticed I was full so I put the other patty back in fridge

Meal 2: 2:00 2 salmon party's and salad with orange vinaigrette.

Meal 3: 7:30 bacon wrapped meatloaf with sweet potato chips (homemade) frustrated because this is the second time and I can't get them crunchy! Still good though

The natural calm really has made me have to go to the bathroom all day is that normal? Still waiting on enzymes.

Day 13 2/9:

I slept so good last night but didn't wake up spunky like I wanted. I'm still waking up at 7:30 AM. I set my alarm for 6:30 this morning and shut off my alarm and went back to sleep! I am going to bed around 9PM. I can't go to sleep any earlier than 8:30 because that is my babies bed time. But if I wake up at 4:30 AM that is still 8 hours of sleep so I don't know what the problem is!

Meal 1: 8:30 AM black coffee and 3 eggs scrambled w/2 pieces of chopped bacon (nitrate free).

Meal 2: 1:45 PM cauliflower rice and 1.5 pieces of bacon wrapped meatloaf. Freeze dried cinnamon apples!Still hungry and I really really really really want something sweet!

I think I'm going to go make some kale chips right now. I am craving crunchy and I'm tired of reaching for my dried fruit because there is nothing else crunchy to eat. Not like I can have a chip! Today is a hard day for me.

Meal 3: I left it to my husband to make steak and he used garlic salt.  I did a double check of the ingredients real quick and it had starch, 4 different kinds of oils WTF.  So basically I scrambled some eggs w/green beans and that was my dinner tonight.  

My energy level sucks today, my cravings sucks today.  I went on the Whole30timeline and it talks about my clothes should be fitting better and my energy should be crazy!!!  But it is not.  I'm starting to think this isn't working on me at all.  

I do not have boundless energy, I'm not getting up super early in the mornings feeling refreshed, I'm definitely not losing weight.  I really haven't noticed one change except my pants don't fit anymore and I'm starting to be cranky all the time!  definitely losing my mojo!

Day 14 2/10:  TWO WEEKS!!!

Like I mentioned last night I do not feel the benefits yet at all except my pants are too tight now and I'm cranky all the time.  My acid reflux flared up again yesterday which concerns me because I thought all this stuff was suppose to stop.  The only thing I haven't had a problem with yet is that weird pain I keep getting in my wrist.  I stopped around day 2 or 3 of my first round and hasn't returned.  

I set my alarm for 5:30 and I woke right up I felt like I could stay up but it being a holiday and not having to go to the gym until 9:15 today there wasn't any reason for me to stay up (I should have just read a book) so I went back to sleep until 7AM.  I am noticing that my energy stays consistent throughout the entire day which is good!

Meal 1: 5 zucchini & egg stacks (I think this was my favorite breakfast so far, it was filling & I felt like I got the adequate amount of veggies and protein).  Which was 2 zucchini's and 3 eggs 1 tsp of coconut oil.

Meal 2: last bit of left over bacon wrapped meatloaf (now no more bacon) and 2 cups of green beans.

Meal 3: Chicken pad thai w/kelp noodles instead of the spaghetti squash w/homemade sunshine sauce (Well Fed).  I could only eat half of my dinner it was too thick and rich for me.  

Larabar & handful of dried plums

OK... so per the advice of my beloved Whole30ers to start my week 3 out with a bang I have tossed my plums and my trail mix.  My husband hid the larabars somewhere..

Goals for week 3:

1) lowering my workout goals to 5 x's a week vs 6.  

2) no snacking even if it's whole30 approved

3) no bacon

4) no larabars

5) no nuts

6) no dried fruits or fruits 

Week 3 starts tomorrow!

My energy level sucks today, my cravings sucks today.  I went on the Whole30timeline and it talks about my clothes should be fitting better and my energy should be crazy!!!  But it is not.  I'm starting to think this isn't working on me at all.  

I do not have boundless energy, I'm not getting up super early in the mornings feeling refreshed, I'm definitely not losing weight.  I really haven't noticed one change except my pants don't fit anymore and I'm starting to be cranky all the time!  definitely losing my mojo!

Everyone goes at their own pace. It took me more than 2 weeks just until I didn't feel WORSE than normal. This post helped me muster up some patience: http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

Best of luck. Hang in there. Nothing's done until 30 :-)

Day 15 2/11:

I slept a lot better yesterday and woke up a lot better this morning.  Still not the rise and shine I am going for but now that I am not so focused on the scale I am noticing the smaller changes.  Small improvements = big success later :)  I'm also noticing that I am full of energy and than right around now my bed time my eyes and mind realize its that time and I start unwinding :) Which is making it easier to fall asleep!  OH AND I PUT ON MY JEANS TODAY AND GUESSSS WHAT!!!! I NEEDED MY BELT HEHEHEHEHE

Today was the first day since my 3rd day that I DID NOT SNACK!  BIG HUGE IMPROVEMENT!

Meal 1:  4 zucchini pancakes (LOVE)

Meal 2:  the rest of the pad thai from last night 

Meal 3:  2 Cilantro lime chicken thighs with zucchini and summer squash.  

I also drank 96 oz of water today.  OH AND MY ENZYMES CAME IN!!!!!!  

It's only egg and zucchini?  I was looking at them the same way I look at a zoodle?  Can I have zoodles or no?  

Nevermind GFChris- I just read the Whole30 Can I Have Guide write up on Pancakes.  Dang... I liked them too.... OK no more zucchini stacks.  I liked them because it was fast and easy and gave me the perfect amount of protein/veggies not because I looked at it as a pancake.  I don't even like pancakes in real life.  But rules are rules and the only way this works is if we follow them.  And I've came to far to start bending them now!  Thank you for letting me know :)

I can't believe I'm on day 16!  I've never made it this far with any diet with out cheating.... This has been good for my soul as well as my body!  I do appreciate all the support I've been getting... I seriously don't think I would have made it this far without this Forum!  It helps with accountability, support, and tough love!!!!

Day 16 2/12:

It's 5:24 and I am up people!!!!  I actually woke up at 5:00 am :)  I have two big interviews this week that I am trying to be prepared for...so nervous!  I was going to run this morning but I think I may jump on my elliptical instead its way too cold outside!  I have been kind of tired this week so I haven't went to the gym at all.  I did good last week working out but this week I am lagging!  I need to get my bunz to work.  

Meal 1:  Scrambled eggs with left over veggies from last night.

Meal 2:  2 boneless skinless chicken thighs (cilantro lime style I love the flavor) w/salad and vinaigrette dressing.

Meal 3: Chocolate Chili (WF) can I just say this dish was AMAZING!!!!!  w/ a side salad and vinaigrette dressing. 

I worked out on the elliptical today for an hour really pushed myself.  I had a really bad headache and still have it the remainder of the day and by 3:00 my cravings were out of control and I felt exhausted.  I seriously could have went straight to bed.  As a matter of fact......good night.

Day 17 2/13:

I had the worst headache all day yesterday.  I went to bed around 9:30 and passed out!  I set my alarm for 5AM and literally ran into the wall trying to get up to shut my alarm clock off I don't even remember the last time I was that exhausted.  I set my alarm for 6AM and didn't get up till 6:55 AM and was still very tired.  That is almost 10 hours of sleep and I didn't feel rested at all.  This morning is probably the worst I have felt waking up since my college days!  I felt like I had the worst hang over ever!!!  From the timeline this stage should be long gone and I should be feeling the tiger blood!  I felt it yesterday until about 2 and than my day took a turn for the worst and I haven't bounced out of it???  I am still foggy, tired, head hurts, got on the elliptical this morning and 2 seconds later was exhausted and got off????  I feel like I'm going backwards.  And I am in the worst mood ever.  I am not a happy camper.  I just feel gross all over! I also felt dehydrated yesterday but I'm drank almost 100 oz of water which is weird.  I still feel dehydrated today.  I only drank 1 cup of coffee today (light roast) and so far I have had 48 oz of water so I know I need to drink more at this point.  I'm going to go fill up my water bottle now.

On the bright side I had my interview this morning and felt it went really well.  I have another one tomorrow... So maybe its my nerves???  I am drinking my natural calm now so hopefully that will settle things and make me feel better.  My husband and I are going out for dinner tonight which is the first time I have eaten out since being on my whole30.  We are going out for sushi and I am going to bring my coconut aminos so I am not tempted with the soy sauce for dipping.  And of course I will be ordering sushimi vs. sushi.  

Meal 1:  7am 3 scrampled eggs and diced veggies

Meal 2:  1:30 pm 1 large bowl of chocolate chili (I was very hungry) w/cut up spinach, red onions and 1/2 avocado mixed on top

Meal 3:  7:30 PM Chocolate chili over 3 turkey dogs (applewood free range no sugar) w/sweet potato chips

You worked out yesterday but I don't see any starchy vegetables in your food log. My guess is at least part of your exhaustion last night was from not enough carbs (and possibly not enough food period). That is exactly how I feel when I don't eat enough starch.

Archived