Mayo WIN!!!

Kage

I would be jealous, but you have a ninja name, and obviously ninjas are better than accountants at mayo. There is much more patience involved in being a ninja.

Congrats, and I hope I can be successful at it soon too! Trying again this weekend, I think. DUN DUN DUNNNNN.

LOL!  If you search, you will find dozens of threads similar to yours.  Most of us have done the happy dance over mayo success. 

Alliath:  What method are you using?  Stick blender?  Blender? Food processor?  There are tricks to all of them.  Let us know if we can help.

Yay!! My partner, Cara, made her first mayo the other day - she was most impressed, and so was I, tastes so good! The first one she did in the blender, the second one with a stick blender, both worked fine. Well worth doing. We were just discussing it tonight and saying that homemade mayo is one of the things we'll probably keep doing after the 30 days because it's just so good.

I plan on trying with a food processor tomorrow. I'm eager to hear any tricks and tips!

I use my food processor.  If you put the little food pusher thingy in place, it has two very tiny holes in the bottom.  By pouring your oil into it, you can't mess up and pour too fast.

Hi Maryann! I use the stick blender, I don't have those two little holes in the food pusher on my food processor, so I can't use that method. I know a lot of people enjoy and take pride in being able to hand whisk and hand slowly drip the oil correctly, and it makes them feel even prouder of the mayo when they finish, but I am just not going to do that. I would rather set myself on fire.

I got a lot of tips on the stick blender method in another thread, so I'm looking forward to giving it another try (I'm not out of my failed mayo yet, and while it is not mayo, it is good enough for tuna salad/salad dressing work, so I'm using it up first).

Made my second batch, turned out beautiful again. I use my old, very cheap food processor on dribble by hand. I am currently loving mayo mixed with balsamic vinegar for dressing, yum.

I can't even get my head around how you could dribble and mix by hand, some people are just too clever.

Congrats! My first attempt was a major failure. I used a food processor, and I don't think there was enough volume in there for the blade to really mix. Planning to try again this weekend. I don't have a stick blender, but might try the regular blender.

Third time's a charm - used the stick blender method in Nom Nom Paleo and it is probably the easiest recipe I've ever made.  It probably took about three minutes from pulling the egg out of the fridge to mayo deliciousness!  I don't have the cup-thingy from my stick blender anymore, but a 1-pint canning jar worked perfectly.  I used avocado oil ($10 for a very big bottle at Costco!) and it has a very neutral taste.

(My first time was a total fail; second time was just "meh")

Mayo was a success today! I had never made it before and figured it would be a good way to break in my new food processor. Was unsure how long to leave the egg and lemon juice but left it about an hour since they had both been in the fridge... Cannot wait to taste it with some tuna and compliant dill pickles for a bit of tuna salad tomorrow! :)

Archived