Bloat, Constipation, could my meals be too big?

jhughes03

Hi All,

I am on Day 19 and I am having some GI issues.  This seems to be a somewhat normal thing, but I was wondering if anyone is experiencing the exact ones I am, and at this late in the Whole 30.

WARNING - this post is a bit graphic and gross, so I apologize in advance.

I am mostly having issues with bloating and constipation. Originally, around day 5 or 6 on Whole 30 I was becoming regular - going every day, and it was quite lovely.  Then, by day 12, I started having more constipation issues, and it slowed down to only going about once every 4-5 days.  I might go a little bit some days in between, but then after 5 days of that, it's like my body just eliminates everything from the past 5 days! Is this normal?

I am wondering if I am eating too large of meals at one time.  I know they aren't too large for my weight/height because I measured myself on Day 14, just to see any progress, and I had lost an inch on my waist and 1/2 inch on each thigh!

Before Whole 30, my body was used to eating 4-5 smaller meals per day, usually 3 main with 1-2 snacks.  But now, for breakfast, as an example - on Whole 30- I am having 3 eggs, cooked in ghee or coconut oil, 1/3 to 1/2 sweet potato, some mushrooms or other veggies, and coffee with coconut milk in it - much larger than it ever has been in the past.  But, since the Whole 30 says to try and eat large enough meals to ensure snacking isn't needed, I am kind of at a loss.  If I eat a smaller meal, I am hungry by within 2-3 hours. But if I eat a larger meal that might fill me up for 4-5 hours, I can easily end up really bloated, and I am guessing it is also causing the constipation.

Any advice here?  Should I just wait to see if my body will adapt, or should I just go back to eating 4-5 smaller meals?  I just really would like to remove this uncomfortable bloating feeling.  It is so obnoxious.

Thanks everyone!

Do you take digestive enzymes? I'd likely start there.

Or, consider if something you're eating is contributing to bloating. Nuts are the usual culprit, though there are other foods that your body may be reacting to, bringing your digestion to a grinding halt.

No, I have not taken them before.  I saw something about them on another post earlier.  I will see if that helps some, thanks!  I haven't been eating many nuts, so I am not sure if that is the case, but I will check to see how I feel the next time I eat them. 

I also considered this Natural Calm product everyone has been talking about - not sure if that would help, but I may try that too.  Thanks for the reply!

I more complete food log for a few days could help us give you more feedback. You only gave us a general idea of your first meal which seemed fine, perhaps light on vegetables.

Is there anything you are eating a lot of now that you were not eating a lot of before?

I think it's natural to feel bloated when eating larger meals. But you shouldn't go to more smaller meals. That will make it hard for you to reset your hormones if you are always in digestive mode. Taking magnesium does help with the constipation.

I more complete food log for a few days could help us give you more feedback. You only gave us a general idea of your first meal which seemed fine, perhaps light on vegetables.

Is there anything you are eating a lot of now that you were not eating a lot of before?

Ok, sure, here is a food log for a couple days:

Day 1:

Breakfast:

-3 eggs

-1/3 sweet potato

-1-2 TBS ghee

-1/3- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms

- coffee with approx. 1/4 can full fat coconut milk 

Lunch:

-chicken stir fry (about 1.5 cups stir-fry veggies - green beans, mushrooms, onion, red peppers and probably 6 ounces of chicken)

-cooked in 1-2 TBS ghee or coconut oil usually

- sometimes a piece of fruit (apple or banana)

Snack/Preworkout Meal

- 2 hard-boiled eggs

- 1 apple

Dinner

-Beef Meatballs (made with almond flour, spices, salt, and an egg) - probably about 4-5 ounces of meat total

-spaghetti squash - one half of a large one, so about 1.5 cups

- mushrooms

- olive oil, garlic for a sauce and some salt, pepper

DAY 2:

Breakfast:

-same egg scramble - (I make a few days worth ahead of time)

Lunch:

- salad with chicken, cucumber, tomato, mushroom, shredded carrots, olives ( I put a ton of veggies and greens to fill me up)

- balsamic vinegar & olive oil

- banana

Preworkout:

- 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 avocado

Dinner:

- a "chili" with ground beef, red & green bell pepper, onion, sweet potatoes and spices 

Most days are fairly similar to these examples - I try my best to be sure I get plenty of fat and veggies.  I also drink a TON of water - around 100 ounces up to 125 ounces a day, but sometimes only about 80.  I am 5'9'' and weighed 153 before starting this, so I think that is probably fine.  It still doesn't seem to regulate my constipation any, though.

Does my eating still seem light on veggies?  I just don't know if I could actually physically fill my stomach with any more than I do already. Sometimes I can't actually eat ALL the veggies I put on my plate and have to leave a couple bites on my plate - but I usually get pretty close. :)  As far as eating something different - I ate fairly clean before.  I think the biggest difference is no sugar, dairy, and MUCH more fat than I am used to - especially the coconut milk.  I just love that stuff though!  Also - I didn't eat nearly as many veggies prior to the Whole 30 (I'd usually have fruit and make almond flour pancakes, or something generally more carb-dense for breakfast), so maybe that is just something my body is still adjusting to. 

On the upside, I am sleeping SO much better than before and my workouts are definitely improving.  I do fairly high intensity workouts 5 days a week. So, I guess I just have to be patient and try the Enzymes and see how that helps.

I think it's natural to feel bloated when eating larger meals. But you shouldn't go to more smaller meals. That will make it hard for you to reset your hormones if you are always in digestive mode. Taking magnesium does help with the constipation.

Hi - thanks for the insight!  I recently went off hormonal birth control also - so perhaps that could be a factor with my hormones and constipation.  I didn't ever have issues with digestion before I got on birth control that I can remember (and I have read it can affect digestion for many women b/c it messes with the gall bladder).  I will check out magnesium also - or the Natural Calm everyone keeps talking about!  Thanks!

If this is a lot more vegetables and fat than what you are used to that can definitely cause some bloating and constipation. You can look into digestive enzymes as well as the natural calm but mostly just keep going and your body should adjust. You can also add some probiotic foods like raw fermented veggies (like sauerkraut), kombucha, kimchi. 

I'm having this issue too! On another board I found several suggestions that coconut is frequently the culprit, I'm trying this week without it in my coffee.  Makes me a little sad, but being that it's pretty much the only food I've added to my diet that I never ate pre Whole30 I figured it was worth a shot. Seems to be helping, but I also am going to look into the magnesium and digestive enzymes. :)

Archived