Autoimmune Disorders + Lymphocytic Colitis

Hello everyone! I am going to begin my Whole30 journey tomorrow. I should follow the Autoimmune Protocol, but I am going to ease into it (AIP next go-around).

I have Premature Ovarian Failure, Hashimoto's Disease, and Psoriasis. I have recently gone through two episodes of Pericarditis and have been recently diagnosed with Lymphocytic Colitis.

The reason for my post is because I am hopeful that the LC is a misdiagnosis, and would like your thoughts. Also, i need advice for my journey around fruits and veggies.

For three years I have eaten no corn, soy, dairy, gluten or preservatives. I also ate few grains (cooked rice was about it). I lost about 80 pounds and felt pretty good. However, my weight loss was stagnant and I knew I could feel better. So, I decided to go VEGAN! I was never much of a veggie eater before, so I thought it would be tough. I ate ONLY beans, nuts, seeds, veggies and fruits for 1 month. I felt fantastic! I lost 15 pounds and felt like I could maintain it forever.

In week 5 I got VERY sick. Diarrhea 7x a day. My doctor told me I needed to eat rice and chicken to get better. I did get better, but anytime I ate something healthy (a carrot, an apple) I would get sick again. So, I began eating mainly meats and starches (rice bread, rice cereals, flax seed brownies, etc). I have gained 35 pounds since May!

It seems as if I cannot "bind" without some sort of starch.

When they diagnosed me with Lymphocytic Colitis, they said that white blood cells were coating my intestines and colon. What I am wondering is...could it be that I caused some damage when I overloaded my system with fiber, and my body is trying to heal?

Also, since I am sensitive to fruits and veggies, I was hoping to find suggestions for my W30 journey to ensure I get enough good nutrients and fiber.

Any help, support or encouragement you could offer would mean the world to me.

Annie

Hi Annemarie, I have IBS/Chrohns, so I understand the desire to eat 'binding' foods. They seem comforting and non irriatating, but they really aren't. In addition to causing an AI response, they are full of sugar, which isn't that good for you.

I don't know that much about LC, but from what I've read, it can be cause by diet (AI) or also over use of NASIDS like advill and ibuprofen and acid reducing drugs. I had bad leaky gut and had to stop using NASIDs and I stopped acid reducing drugs because they inhibited the acid in my system so much, I had a bacteria infestation. And they don't cure GERD, only mask the symptoms.

If you are sensitive to fruiits and veggies, you should look into the FODMAP list. These are fruits and veggies that have certain sugars in them that can cause intestinal problems (including watery diarrhea). Eliminating them has resolved most of my IBS/Chrohns issues) Interestingly enough, grains including rice are FODMAPS.

Also, watch out for too much fiber. As you have guessed, it can irritate the bowel, which may be another cause of your colitis. Keep insoluable fiber to a minimum. You can get all the fiber that you need from veggies. You should probably stick to veggies like sweet potatoes, squash, green beans, carrots etc. Until you can heal up your gut and then you can add in other veggies. You can also make stews where the veggies are well cooked and that will help you digest them well. Good quality meats (grass fed beef, pasture raised pork and poultry) are best. And look into making bone broth! It is extremely healing for the gut and really easy to make.

Since you have hashi's (me too!) and psoriasis, it's obvious that you need the AI diet. It's ok to ease into it. I was eating pretty clean before I started W30, so I did the AI. And I found that eggs were a bit trigger for joint pain. I've also given up nightshades for the most part.

Good Luck!

Hi Annie, I am doing well on W30. I did get sidelined during the holidays (who doesn't!) but it just served to remind me that I need to eat clean to stay healthy. I'm going to start another W30 on Feb 1. When I'm off roading, I do eat things like chocolate and wine, so I want to clean it up a bit. I did lose 8 lbs on my first W30 and another 5 on my 2nd, so I'm hoping to repeat that.  The thing I love about the program is the change in the type and quality of food I'm eating. I feel I am nourishing my body properly for the first time in my life. After having so many problems for so long, I know this is the way to go. I was facing going on immunosuppressent drugs for Chron's, but I didn't want to do that. Controlling it by diet is much better for me all around.

Hi!  I do not have the same AIs but have some similar issues and wanted to second the recommendations about cooked veggies and avoiding binding foods.  When your  gut is upset, lots of roughage is just too much for it but that doesn't mean you have to go back to meat and starches to get better.  Meat and cooked veggies is more nutrient dense and less likely to feed the inflammatory response in my experience.  I hope you find healing soon!

Alrj

Hi Annie, I am doing well on W30. I did get sidelined during the holidays (who doesn't!) but it just served to remind me that I need to eat clean to stay healthy. I'm going to start another W30 on Feb 1. When I'm off roading, I do eat things like chocolate and wine, so I want to clean it up a bit. I did lose 8 lbs on my first W30 and another 5 on my 2nd, so I'm hoping to repeat that.  The thing I love about the program is the change in the type and quality of food I'm eating. I feel I am nourishing my body properly for the first time in my life. After having so many problems for so long, I know this is the way to go. I was facing going on immunosuppressent drugs for Chron's, but I didn't want to do that. Controlling it by diet is much better for me all around.

Good luck.  I will check in with you periodically.  

I hope that I can feel better also!

Hi!  I do not have the same AIs but have some similar issues and wanted to second the recommendations about cooked veggies and avoiding binding foods.  When your  gut is upset, lots of roughage is just too much for it but that doesn't mean you have to go back to meat and starches to get better.  Meat and cooked veggies is more nutrient dense and less likely to feed the inflammatory response in my experience.  I hope you find healing soon!

Alrj

Thanks Alrj!

Just some notes on apples & carrots.

Apples are high FODMAP, but carrots are not.

Both are reasonably high GI, general sugar load.

Do you get the same reaction to apples & carrots when they are raw & cooked? 

Apple skins are an irritant for some people, whether that's pesticide related or the skin itself I'm not sure, but cooked and raw without peel would be worth experimenting with.

Both apples and carrots play havoc with my blood sugar, but carrots in particular seem to have an unusually high impact on my blood glucose, given their content (gi 47, plus or minus 16 - still 63 max). I get less of a reaction from pineapple (which is crazy - GI for pineapple is 66). Purple carrots are worse for me than the orange ones. Cooked carrot isn't much better with my blood sugar, but is supposed to be lower GI (cooked carrot gi is 39).

praxisproject -

Thanks for the post.  I have been having some success eating applesauce, so I am wondering if you are correct about the skin.  I am struggling with making cooked veggies, because I am a terrible cook and don't know how to make them tasty.  However, I am going to work on that!  I am REALLY hoping that I do not have to eat low FODMAP, as I love so much of the stuff on the list.  I am getting frustrated by how much I cannot eat.  I am starting week 3 of whole30, and it isn't as difficult as I thought.  A little bored with my food, but I try to say to myself that I eat to live not live to eat.  That helps!  How are you doing?

:)  Annie

praxis, I only eat cooked carrots. I cook all my veggies well. I usually do the carrots in the slow cooker with a stew. I have a slice of fresh pineapple every day after lunch. It has digestive enzymes in it and I feel it helps with digestion.

Speaking of veggie recipies, I roasted a head of cauliflower with coconut oil and it was fantastic. I know cauliflower is a FODMAP, but I can tolerate it in moderation.

Archived