Day 30...now what?

Lisa L

Warning - extreme whining ahead...

Today is Day 30. I cannot WAIT to eat a few things (rice, corn, beans). I have been sharing my experiences with a friend (who is on day 16 and feels amazing) and she suggested I may need even more time...ugh. This is seriously a torturous way to live. I thought I would share how I'm feeling and see what you all think. 

My typical day looks like this:

Breakfast: 3 egg frittata with sausage, zukes, red pepper, spinach and mushrooms with marinara sauce. 

Lunch: 2 "no fuss" salmon cakes with homemade mayo and 3 cups broccoli with some ghee (or leftover dinner from the night before)

Dinner: 2+ cups spaghetti squash and meat sauce with a few almonds (or 2-3 cups roasted veg with pulled pork or steak)

I have started a daily kombucha habit because...

I have pooped a total of 6 times in the last 30 days (normally I go once a day). Kombucha helps me at least get a partial elimination but I'm still very "full" and I just cannot go. I have tried enzymes and probiotics to no avail. 

I am exhausted. I have worked out twice on this plan (normally 3x week). 

I have fallen asleep at work more than once (never before).

I have pulled over driving to get my bearings (so tired)

I do not have any diseases or conditions that would impede my healing. 

I have had a headache for 4 days now.

I just want this all to stop. As much as I hated it, I stayed faithful and ate every meal with the best intentions. Some days I was not perfect on the template but I was there 100%. I thought this would be perfect for me. I am dreading having to do another meal (or 5 days or 10 days) because I feel like I'm getting worse every day...not better. What if I do a Whole60 and still feel like shit? At what point do I move forward??

On a positive note, I do NOT crave sugar anymore. My main goal for this was to conquer the sugar issue and to no longer use food as an alternative to dealing with emotions. I have cried at work many times during this Whole30 but I have never reached for food. Those are positive steps - didn't want it to be all negative up in there. 

I'm sorry you feel so poorly.

I wonder if adding carb-dense veggies daily would help your energy and help alleviate the crying?  Sweet potatoes, winter squash (acorn squash, butternut squash, kabocha), beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga, turnips?  Would you be willing to give it another 5-7 days with this change?

Are you staying sufficiently hydrated by consuming at least half your body weight in ounces daily?

Whenever you decide that you are done, I advise you to do a controlled reintroduction of non-gluten grains, legumes and whatever else you want to eat again or are curious about.

Thanks Chris -

I just don't know what I will do. I have plenty of Whole30 food so I think I will see how I'm doing in the morning and go from there. 

Drinking plenty of water. 

Also, have been eating lots of carb dense veg. Last night was roasted parsnips, rutabaga, and sweet potato at dinner. Yum!

Upon further thought, we have been under some major stress at home. My hubby was gone for a couple of weeks for work and we are trying to sell our second home. It's been a nightmare. Not changing my relationship with food (like I have this last 30 days) would have put me in a horrible situation. I can say that my body is better for going through this but now I wonder if the stress is dampening my results a little. Scheduled a massage for this weekend and I will continue to focus on relaxation etc. As far as reintro goes...we will have to see. 

Looking at your typical day, I think you need more fat in your meals.  The Standard American Diet has everyone so afraid to eat fat and it's hard to get past knowing that things like EVOO, avocados, and coconut oil are actually really good for you!  Fat is your friend!   :D

I find that if I eat too little, I get grumpy and tired.  I pretty much eat an avocado a day and cook with ghee, lard, and tallow.  And no measuring!  I love it!   :wub:

How often are you eating starchy veggies? They didn't show up in your typical day, and that leads me to believe that you're not getting enough.  I'd suggest a serving at 2 of your 3 meals every day for 3 days. 

Also, a glass of hot water with lemon helps many people get things moving in the morning :)

Archived