Grams of carbohydrates?

Today I read an article on Yahoo Shine about a set of twins who tested two different diets to compare the results (one on low sugar, one on low fat).  (http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/twin-brothers-act-guinea-pigs-sugar-v-fat-190600102.html)

One exerpt in the article says "Nutrition expert Angela Lemond explained to Yahoo Shine, that high protein diets produce chemicals called ketones, which promote weight loss but can lead to kidney failure. "We recommend staying above 100 grams of carbohydrates per day to avoid going into ketosis,"

I am wondering if this is true? Should we be actively making sure we are consuming at least 100g of Carbs? I know, not in the form of bread or rice, but rather via veggies?

I know some other people do thinks like Atkins (20g or less a day) and some people religously practice a high fat low carb diet.

Just curious what the whole30 group thought about this.

HM

That's not accurate at all. Very high levels of protein can damage the kidneys. Ketosis does not equal high protein. Ketosis is a state in which the body burns fat and protein for energy in the absence of carbohydrates. There are many cultures in the world where the people live in a constant state of ketosis for upwards of 6 months of the year for thousands of years (Inuit of Alaska are a favorite example, relying on seal meat and blubber, and small birds that they stuff whole, feathers and all, inside seal skins and allow to ferment for their food source during the winter).

Ketosis is not dangerous at all, and does not damage the kidneys because you should be eating mostly fat with moderate amounts of protein. It is high amounts of protein that cause kidney damage (and when I say high, I mean REALLY high).

So yes, high protein diets can cause kidney damage, and they can also send you into ketosis, but you don't have to eat a high protein diet to achieve ketosis. Ketosis is more a marker of a low carbohydrate diet, not necessarily a high protein one. A low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet can also cause ketosis.

****Disclaimer***** I'm not a doctor, make sure to check in with your doctor before undertaking a ketosis diet, etc. etc. 

It may vary for others, but I don't think the carb levels on Whole30 are anything as restrictive as Atkins. I tracked my food, just out of habit, the first few days (on day 13 now and don't track anymore) and my carbs ranged from 50-85 grams/day. Not over 100g but not less than 20g.

I also felt terrible on Atkins (also was one the rare individuals that gained weight) and feel great on Whole30, but it could be just the better food choices not the ratios.

• Moderators

I read the nonsense on Yahoo Shine too. It was a complete waste. The twin doctors admitted they knew nothing about nutrition when they started their experiment. Then at the end, they offered advice about how people should eat. Actually, they learned nothing after one month because their experiment was based upon crap ideas. They are no more qualified to offer eating advice than any random individual off the street and I don't have any more respect for the person quoted as an expert either.

Listen, the world is full of crap ideas about what you should eat. These crap ideas are presented sincerely by doctors, nurses, registered dietitians, and individuals who once lost a lot of weight. You can go slap crazy and ruin your health turning from one expert to another, but you don't have to do that. The Whole30 works. Thousands of people have followed this free program and achieved lasting results. We ask you to follow the program perfectly for 30 days and see how you feel. For goodness sake, don't listen to some idiot for guidance in the middle of a Whole30. Just follow the program.

The Whole30 guidance in regards to eating starchy carbs is to eat as much as you need to support physical performance and comfort. Some people should eat fewer carbs and some should eat more. You should never measure or weigh your food. If you are physically active, eat a sweet potato or similar veggie every day. If you are less active, you can skip starchy carbs unless you feel tired. If you feel tired, eating some starchy carbs may make you feel better.

One of the points in the article that pissed me off was the idea that you need carbs to provide glucose to the brain. That is wrong. If your brain ran out of glucose, you would die. Our bodies are fully capable of converting protein to glucose. Your brain will not suffer if you don't eat carbs. Your body and energy may suffer terribly, but your brain will be fine.

Okay, I will stop ranting now....   :wacko:

Many people use the word ketosis to scare people. The condition that can be a problem is ketoacidosis, and even then it is a problem fairly exclusive to us diabetics. While ketoacidosis is deadly, I would love for those doctors to explain how I, as a type 1 diabetic, have provided fuel for my brain while going low carb.

While Whole30 is not designed as low carb, I make it so to fit me. For me, it is about glucose levels first and foremost. I eat loads of vegetables, just on the lower carb spectrum.

Archived