First Whole30 starts tomorrow 2/1/14! Who's with me?

Karinne

Whoop whoop! We're almost done! Day 27 for me and I'm feeling good. I wouldn't necessarily consider it "tiger blood" but my energy levels now are better now than in weeks 2 and 3. I've been on a weight loss journey since last November and prior to doing the W30 I had lost 15 lbs already, but people have only really started to notice me shrinking this past month. I think that speaks a lot to how much the W30 has changed my body.

What is everyone planning on doing to celebrate finishing the W30?

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yeah, I've already bought some yogurt to have for breakfast on Monday! I'm going to do dairy first, then non gluten grains, then legumes, then gluten grains (I think, in that order). In the past I never had issues with any of these foods really - except legumes (really only beans) made me feel bloated sometimes. I'm interested and nervous to see how the reintro goes.

I think I'll also do quinoa, oats, and rice as well on different days. I can't have wheat, corn, soy, or lentils so I'm not reintroducing those. I will also reintroduce black beans and chickpeas (hummus) ...I have some more allergy tests coming in so ill reintroduce beans after dairy, quinoa, oats and rice.

Oh I don't plan on going back to my previous grain and sugar filled lifestyle-but I do want to reintro all foods to see how I do with them after 30 days of elimination. My version of "paleo" will certainly include dairy in the form of cheese, butter and yogurt, and also the occasional splurge of chocolate and wine. I don't necessarily plan on including legumes and grains as a regular part of my diet, but I'd like to know if I am truly intolerant to any of these food groups hence the full reintro.

I have to stay on for another 30 to 60 days:(( I went out to eat yesterday and asked for every thing cooked in olive oil, no dairy, specific to what I need and something slipped in. I can feel it. It had to me traces of gluten or dairy but you wouldn't know it. I had a burger with green beans. So irritated. I now have a sore neck and my stomach and intestine are irritated. I did start to feel a shift in myself yesterday. I am feeling definitely more aware of my body and it's clearer. I don't know if that makes sense but I feel lighter and my body just feels different in a good way. My energy is a little better.

Hey everyone. I'm still around. I rarely have the computer on when I'm home because I work on one all day. And I've been so busy at work lately that I've not had time to zip over and post on the forum. Still doing this! I celebrated my thirty days last night with a piece of pound cake over at my friend's house. Also, another friend brought cookies. So.... guess what? I hardly slept all night! Who would have thought that sugar would affect me so quickly and clearly? The times I ate off-plan food before I didn't have such severe reactions. But wow. Was an interesting eye opener for me.

Plan to continue for another 30 with small modifications. Not quite sure how I'm going to structure it. For sure, sugar is my most difficult thing to deal with. So that will stay as "absolutely no" for another 30. I don't really care much about dairy or grains or legumes. Even find drinking my coffee without cream quite acceptable these days. Unimaginable just 30 days ago. So, I don't miss them much and think I'll mostly avoid all of them.

The two things that most impact me around eating clean food are

a)keeping on top of supply and food prep and

b)making other people have to meet my dietary needs

To work on a, I've ordered both Well Fed cookbooks. They look really helpful -- easy to use, good recipes within the framework of the food choices I want to make. Also, just try to keep clean food as a priority on my mental "to do" list.

To work on b, I'm thinking I will not "keep" my diet when visiting friends, parents, etc. If someone is feeding me, I don't want to make things a burden for them. It's easy to say no to desert with a quick "trying to stay away from sugar and lose some weight"! Everyone understands that and it's no big deal. But to have someone rearrange their preparation or stress out over feeding me is not something I want to do. I will simply make the best choices I can in the circumstance. I know this would not work for some people with definite food allergies and sensitivities. But as these situations are infrequent, I'm going to try this approach. And then go home and steam some chard!!!

I have dropped about 9 pounds over the month. That does give me some additional motivation related to eating well. But mostly it's about me wanting to make healthier choices overall.

Okay. Lunch hour gone and I'm gettin' back to it. I'll be reading posts even if I don't write often!!!

Esuzabeth--woohoo! congrats! I definitely like your approach. 

My approach will be basically primal when at home: 

• paleo treats allowed
  • full fat/organic dairy allowed
  • natural sweeteners allowed (dates/raw honey/maple syrup)

When there's a celebration or I'm out to dinner I'll be more flexible:

• allow non-gluten grains
  • allow all dairy (not just full fat/organic) 
  • allow normal sugar

I have a mega win to share...well, a win and "loss" i suppose. So, i woke up today rather snacky and ate my usual breakfast, then baked sweet potatoes with almond butter, and a grapefruit. noon rolls around and I'm at one of the law school buildings that has a vending machine in the basement-I decide to venture down and look for nuts. No dice. But there was trail mix...I rationalized and rationalized and wound up with a package of trail mix. I took them back up to the 4th floor where I was sitting and stared at them, read the back of the package, stared some more. I tossed them in my bag, packed up my stuff and headed home to find something compliant to "snack" on. I wound up making a chicken burger, roasted broccoli/cauliflower, and then a date/cocoa/coconut bar...much better than going the non-compliant route. I still had too much sugar but I prevailed and that's a win. So, the "loss" is that I still gave in to eating when I wasn't HUNGRY but I made a conscious decision to do so, prepared something healthy, ate real food, THEN indulged a bit on a compliant snack. 

I have a mega win to share...well, a win and "loss" i suppose. So, i woke up today rather snacky and ate my usual breakfast, then baked sweet potatoes with almond butter, and a grapefruit. noon rolls around and I'm at one of the law school buildings that has a vending machine in the basement-I decide to venture down and look for nuts. No dice. But there was trail mix...I rationalized and rationalized and wound up with a package of trail mix. I took them back up to the 4th floor where I was sitting and stared at them, read the back of the package, stared some more. I tossed them in my bag, packed up my stuff and headed home to find something compliant to "snack" on. I wound up making a chicken burger, roasted broccoli/cauliflower, and then a date/cocoa/coconut bar...much better than going the non-compliant route. I still had too much sugar but I prevailed and that's a win. So, the "loss" is that I still gave in to eating when I wasn't HUNGRY but I made a conscious decision to do so, prepared something healthy, ate real food, THEN indulged a bit on a compliant snack. 

I hate it when I don't have a compliant snack on hand. Congratulations on not caving in and eating the vending machine trail mix! Your home cooked meal sounded clean, substantial, and delicious regardless if you were hungry or not, it was the better choice.

What are some compliant snacks people leave in the car, purse, take to work, etc to have in emergency or just snacky mood?

Day 30 for me!!

I was considering going a few more days, but I will probably start reintroductions tomorrow. I'm proud of myself for sticking to the 30 days. I've had a couple of benefits, but I haven't had as nuch success as I was hoping for.

The good:

Lost 5 pounds (still have 10-15 to go, but 5's not bad!)

Have realized how important it is for me to have protein, especially in the mornings. It really helps with going longer between meals and not getting shaky/sick feeling when I'm hungry.

-I didn't notice that I woke up during the night as frequently as I did before.

The bad/not so good:

-I was hoping to lose more weight than I did!

-I still am having sugar cravings, but I feel empowered not to give in to them.

-My acne hasn't changed and may be even worse than before.

-I still have problems with neck pain/tmj. No real difference there.

-TMI warning: my bathroom cycle still hasn't normalized and I haven't had a good #2 the entire month. That was never a problem before. I do have less gas/bloating though which is great.

In terms of reintroductions, I'm not sure what to try tomorrow. These are the days I want to do. The problem is that I am snowed in today and likely tomorrow (longest coldest winter I've ever known...), so I'm not able to get to the store, so I may be limited.

1. Dairy (if I'm not able to go to the store, it will be milk in coffee, butter at meal 2, Parmesan cheese at meal 3- I'd rather do one day of full-fat dairy (yogurt, butter, and/or cream) and hard cheeses and another day for milk and soft cheeses.

2. Non gluten grains (white rice & polenta)

3. Gluten grains (barley meal 1, homemade long-rise white bread meals 2 & 3)

4. Legumes: chickpeas, lentils, white beans (all home cooked)

5. Fermented soy: miso and soy sauce.

Rach--5 pounds is over a pound a week nd if you're backed up then you've likely lost more than that. That's beyond great.

So, I've kind of been obsessing for the last few hours (for lack of a better description). I am CERTAIN I've gained more than I would've on my ordinary diet and I'm trying to be okay with that but it's quite difficult to be honest. No, I haven't weighed myself but I don't need to as I'm very in tune with my body and have an uncanny ability to notice weight changes. I'm estimating a 6 pound gain which isn't terrible but is substantially more than I should gain in such a short amount of time. I'm pregnant (as you all know...I think) and I'm terrified of gaining "too much" as weight is a sensitive thing for me and I don't want to be humiliated by my doctor. SIGH. I'm starting to wish I had exerted more control over my portions for the last 4 weeks but I didn't so I'm trying to just put it behind me and move on. I am thinking of doing another 30 days after I've had my frozen yogurt fix on Tuesday or whenever my husband has a day off next week but this time I thnk i will track my calories at the end of each day so at least I have hard data to evaluate without allowing it to impact my eating during the day. I'm not sure. I'm thinking aloud right now.

Thanks runninglawyer! That's a great way to look at it. :)

I'm curious if your perceptions if weight aren't being impacted by your pregnancy? Of course, it's normal to gain a bit, which you know. But if you haven't weighed and are just going by what you see, you might have an inaccurate perception because you are gaining weight in different areas or are holding fluid differently than what you are used to. The other thing could be that you are gaining muscle. The increase in protein you're getting could really be helping your workouts along! Just a couple of thoughts!

Rach--my protein intake hasn't increased considerably as ive always been conscious of getting enough. I would say that you're probably onto something with the pregnancy thing except I know that for a large chunk of my whole 30 I was overeating nearly every other day. I don't LOOK lots different actually...it's more of a feeling in my body. I feel heavy and weighed down, not bloated but heavy. I'm not really strength training either--I do some light resistance work but not enough to add muscle since the overload isn't significant. I really HOPE I'm wrong. I truly truly truly do because I don't want to feel like I have to resort to tracking my calorie intake in order to prevent overeating--that's not my idea of optimal health (at least not mental health).

If anyone is going to continue after the 30 days please let me know. I would like to team up and continue this forward.

Count me in, Madhatter!

I didn't even know I made it to day 30! Whoo Hoo! This is what my body needs. I'm still having colitis symptoms, but so mild,  I'm even thinking I need to add the autoimmune, as well.I promised my GI guy I would stay on it until my colonoscopy! I saw my reg. dr. and she told me, "I always knew you were going to be a health nut!"  We have a great relationship! 

I'm having a hard time with breakfast. I've been having a sweet potato, with ghee and salt and pepper and 2 links of pork sausage.  I fry the sausage on the weekend, so I just have to pop into the microwave.  It's getting boring, but I like the convenience. 

I just had to look at the scale.  I know it's not about the weight, but as an added benefit, I lost 13 lbs!!

Who else is continuing?  

I'm chiming in here to runninglawyer too... If you know you are eating healthy, clean food then in my opinion, it's best to concentrate on that part and not on the pounds issue. With a pregnancy, your hormones and weight are going to do all kinds of things. They don't necessarily reflect what's going on with your body "underneath" the pregnancy. The important thing is to be healthy. And, as with all things that involve kids (even ones that young!), sometimes you have to put aside your own goals or simply change their timetable in order to meet the needs of your child or children. Happens all the time! Doesn't mean you have to put aside your reasons for doing the Whole30 or even put it aside at all. Just mean that you will have to recognize that your child will impact it. And be okay with it. Cause it's just gonna happen! But on the bright side, you get to work on eating clean, healthy food AND grow a baby at the same time. Very wonderful!!!

I'm still keepin' on. I find some things interesting to observe. I think I used to put cheese on everything. Last night my husband made his own dinner (chile dogs, which he loves). He pulled out the cheddar cheese to shred it. There was so much mold growing on it. I laughed and said "I guess we're not meeting our usual quota of cheese quesadillas?!?!" Especially when the kids were here, I swear we lived on those things. I usually added stuff, like chicken and veggies, but cheese and tortillas have been a mainstay in our family for... well, forever! I haven't had a tortilla in weeks. And around here (in Santa Fe), that's VERY unusual. Everything gets wrapped in one. I don't really miss them the way I thought I would. Maybe it's just a process of getting used to something different??? And that after you've been doing it for a while, that new way just seems like the regular thing.

Anyway, off to saute some beautiful baby carrots I saw at the farmer's market yesterday. REAL baby carrots (as in long and slim, very young) as opposed to the shaped-down-to-thumb-size-from-actual-large-carrots that you get in the store.

Archived