Spreading my wings

Julie Sassaman

So, I still didn't make the taco shepherds pie! LOL Tonight darn it! I went to crossfit today. Wow. I love it, even when I hate it. :) I am having a really hard time balancing the eating/working out thing, which is why I didn't start it during my W30. Here it is, 11:13am and I have not had anything but coffee with coconut milk before my workout and an orange after my workout. My workout was done by 930am. I am just now starting to feel hungry. It's very frustrating. And I'm pretty sure I just need to plan better, but I'm not stellar at that either! It will all come together.

Bacon and eggs, here I come.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no! What happened? What can I do to help? I'm a little off the rails myself over the last few weeks with being sick, trying to get a workout routine down, and some stresses I've been under lately! I don't think I'm ready for another W30 yet, but I will do whatever I can to help you girl!

Today I had bacon and eggs with coconut milk/oil in my coffee. I also had an orange right after I got done with my WOD. I'm not sure about the rest of the day yet. I'm pretty tired today so I don't have a lot of motivation. I'm super sore so I don't have a lot of inclination either! ;) It will probably be a garbage bowl dinner. Ground meat, veggies, voila! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Hey - I haven't been around as much either. Life is like that. I also notice I use the forum when I need it and seem to leave and come back - kinda like "spreading my wings"! The main bummer is that I always feel guilty for "ditching out" on others and reading their posts.

Those garbage bowl dinners really are the best. We had one last night and the night before and (smiling) the night before that!

Yes, I feel super guilty sometimes for not being here as much as I was, which kind of defeats the purpose of this lifestyle and is really just silly! I probably won't be on here much right now, as I am busy and I have just been really sick! I do miss all of my friends though! If you all want you can friend request me on my facebook page. I use that quite a bit more as I have most of my family out west and that is how we stay "connected". Until the next time! :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Kryztle! I'm sorry I've been MIA....I sent you a message I hope you got it! I am not doing well either friend! :( But I know we can get back on track, especially if we start using the tools W9 gives us! That and staying in better touch to help with accountability, will surely help! I know I do better with accountability!

My health took a nose dive around March. I got really sick, then I thought I was getting better, only to get really sick again. I had walking pneumonia. Took a good 2-3 months to get all the way cleared up. I went WAY off the W30 and Paleo trail! I had absolutely no energy to do anything and slowly but surely, I resorted to shortcuts for getting me and my kids fed. :( Of course, that did NOT help me get better faster! During this time, my blood pressure spiked again, which I'm sure had to do with my food choices, but also I was taking a lot of Nyquil to help with cough and sleep, which is not really a good thing when you already have a blood pressure issue. I finally went to the ER when my blood pressure was 218/157!!! Yikes, I know. They got it down, and prescribed me a new medicine. I am not a fan of taking medicine, but sometimes, you just don't have a choice. I went and seen my new doctor a couple of weeks later and I was swollen everywhere! She said the blood pressure medicine I was on could cause edema and that is likely what it was from. She stopped that medicine, put me on a new one and took my blood to run some labs. I had ran out of Levothyroxine for my hypothyroidism a while ago, which didn't really bother me because it makes me feel worse than the thyroid does alone! When I talked to my new dr. (who I absolutely love!), she listened to what I had to say about my experience with the thyroid medication, and without hesitation agreed to let me try Armour thyroid medicine, which has worked wonders for so many people that have the same problem with Levothyroxine that I do. When I got my labs back, it was pretty clear why energy was a huge problem for me and why I just keep losing my hair! My TSH was at 39.9!!! It is supposed to be between 0.3 and 5!!! (By this office's lab anyway) Again, yikes, I know. My T4 was low as well. (She is also the dr. I've had that has done more than just the standard TSH test.) Anyway, because my numbers are so bad, she wanted to start me off slow on the Armour and work it up. Even though my eating went bad, I did try to continue with my CrossFit, which I did, but not nearly like I wanted to.

So, fast forward to today. Some of the lab work showed my kidney's were a little 'off', but a new blood draw shows they are a-ok. So here I sit, wanting to get back on track with everything. I honestly don't know if I am ready to jump into a W30 right this second, but I am setting my sights on August 1st. I have a lot coming up in July, and I just do not know how realistic a strict W30 would be for me during that time. But I am going to re-read the book and try to make a plan to have a super-successful W30 in August. During July I am going to definitely try to at least stick with a Paleo/Primal approach to eating. Hopefully that will make the first week of the W30 not so bad! ;)

I am hoping to get back to CrossFit on Monday. I had a 2 week hiatus from that because of trying to make sure my kidneys were ok. Oh the soreness to be had from a 2 week break. :(

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! :)

Sometimes, it just seems like the Universe is trying to tell you something. I had all sorts of good intentions to go to CrossFit yesterday. Then I went to my dental appt. at 11am. Two teeth needed extracted. After an hour of trying/numbing, it was determined that I had an infection in one of the root tips that was not allowing the anesthesia to work well enough to extract the teeth. So I was sewn up and told to report back Monday after a round of antibiotics. :( Oh the pain. While I do feel a little better today, I am so frustrated.by all of these setbacks and how I've allowed them to undermine my goals.

I refuse to give up. I'm telling the Universe to go mind its own business. The Universe is not the boss of me. Setbacks are just that....setbacks. I started CrossFit in March. I have been horribly inconsistent with it, but I still try. I still go when I can. And I will continue to go, until it is something that is as normal as breathing to me. Same goes for my nutrition. It will happen, because I want it to happen. It is a choice I am making. And no one, not even the Universe, can take my determination away.

Stay healthy my friends!

Taking antibiotics for my tooth is wreaking havoc on my body. I have heartburn and upset stomach all the time. I have been trying to eat yogurt with it, but I don't think it is enough, especially since my gut was already not that great off. It's a process I know. Today is my day of frustration that things aren't working out as smoothly as I want them to. I know it rarely does, and normally that's ok, but today it's hard. I am looking forward to the holiday weekend though, family time, BBQ, and then going to the race in Daytona on Saturday!

I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend! :)

• 3 weeks later...

So the big day is coming up fast, I really want to do another W30 starting August 1st. I'm glad white potatoes are in now, but I'm not sure how good that is for me! LOL I've tried choking down sweet potatoes for years now, still do not like them. I wish I did.

I have two more teeth I am having pulled tomorrow, then all that bad bacteria and infection will be gone, and I will be able to start healing before my W30 starts. While I'm not looking forward to the actual procedure, I am looking forward to the pain being gone. I also will be getting a bigger dose of my thyroid medication starting Thursday because my numbers still are not right. I knew they wouldn't be though. My doctor started me on the smallest dose possible of Armour so my body could adjust gradually. Hopefully with my next increase, I will be closer to feeling the energy I have been missing for years now.

My last crossfit class was June 10th. I've missed that in my life. As I stated before, I thought something was wrong with my kidneys, but it turned out they were fine. I was diagnosed with back spasms and instructed to take muscle relaxers and get rest. No working out. The muscle relaxers seemed to make things a little worse, so I stopped taking them. I thought maybe rest would heal them, but it seems like the longer I am out of crossfit, the worse it gets. So I am going back tomorrow to talk to my coach and see if I can scale a scaled routine....LOL At least I will be doing SOMETHING. I sit at a desk a lot during the day too, so I am looking into making my workstation a standing desk.

As an added bonus, I have recently relieved myself of some very heavy burdens I was carrying around. It is amazing how much more they weigh when they are not even yours to begin with! ;) All in all, I feel like things are at least starting to move in the right direction, and even though that actually scares the hell out of me, I am excited for it too. I am a very lucky and blessed woman.

Archived