Day 2: Turns out I really like things that go crunch!

BoCa

I have a friend who has done this before, and she's pointing me toward recipes, very kindly, but I am still not able to produce crunchy things, and it turns out I really like things that go crunch! 

Today I ate poorly, I think, but I was technically compliant, except on the subject of what you eat when and the combinations of things, which I didn't give much thought to.

Breakfast: Fruit is on the list of course, but a breakfast of a banana and a cup of black coffee isn't right. It's what I found time for. 

Lunch was an ad hoc thing in which I tried to make the menu at the restaurant work. I had salmon and roast vegetables. I do not know what kind of oil they were cooked in. I hope it was okay. I really haven't the slightest idea though.

Snack: I'm not supposed to snack? That's sort of, uh, I don't know, not very likely for me. I'll try as I proceed to be better about that, but I really like to eat flavors. Love food. And I don't even mean crappy chippy things. I like real, good food. But I also like small portions all day, kind of the "graze like a cow" philosophy. So this is a difficult adjustment. I was always told you should eat smaller meals more often... So the snack was frozen chunks of mango. So good. And I probably ate too many of them too. 2 cups of them? Yeah, that was probably too many.

Dinner: still up in the air. Need to cook one thing for the kids and one thing for my husband and me. This is going to get stale pretty fast. I am doing a hybrid meal for all of us. I eat some parts of it, they eat those parts and the added starch that they want (rice, potato, whatever). Yesterday I baked bread for them. It looked delicious. They say it was delicious. I didn't eat any of it. As it was day 1, I was fine, motivated, early days and all. On say day 15, I may not find that quite to easy not to eat. The house smells so good when I'm baking their bread! Guess I'll make that steak in the fridge and a salad. 

Beverages are fine. I drink unsweetened ice tea that I make, and I also make a drink of water with ginger and lemon. Coffee until noon or 1. I don't care for tea for the most part. Hot tea, I mean. But I never drank milk and never put milk in my coffee, so the only beverage challenge is that I REALLY like my red wine. Oh well.

Welcome!

For food with crunch, there is a recent thread on crunchies - check it out here: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/15301-crunchies/

Here is the meal template. Every single meal should meet the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies, and the appropriate amount of compliant fat. Fruit is optional: you get 1-2 servings of fruit a day, where a fruit serving is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist. Don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate.

Yeah, the Whole30 philosophy is against grazing.  Really try to stick to the 3 meals a day.  Play with portion sizes until each meal satiates you for 4-5 hours. If you are genuinely hungry in between (hungry = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal that contains a protein and fat. Avoid having fruit as a snack.  Fruit should only be consumed at or immediately after your meals.

On the oil used to cook in restaurants, ask before ordering. It's important. You don't want to end up with a non-compliant oil like soybean oil (frequently used in restaurants).

Thanks. I guess if I don't want to be "that person" at a restaurant, going through a 5 minute ordering ritual and sending the waiter back in for detailed info (I find this embarrassing), I'll just avoid eating out this month. But on thinking about this problem, I've resolved to have more parties at my house instead! Why not? I can control more, serve what I can eat, and just top off with wine for the guests, but lots of other beverages I can have (the iced teas, ginger and lemon water and such).

Archived