Tarheelpo's Log 1/23/14 Start

tarheelpo

OK. So I'm 12 days into this thing.  Don't have time to go back and put all of what I have eatne in here but here is a typical day thus far:

Breakfast:

Smoothie (Almond butter, Spinach, Carrots, 2 strawberries, 1/4-1/3 cup frozen mango)

OR

Homemade Sausage and 2-3 eggs with bell pepper

Lunch:

Grilled chicken (or once or twice ground beef) spinach salad with tomatoes, bell pepper, bacon (yes I found sugar free in the grocery store!!!), and homemade mayo

Dinner:

Whiting or Chicken

Baked okra with olive oil or sauteed zuchini

Snack:

Haven't snacked much AT ALL thus far but when I do it's a palm full of almonds or I chew on some sunflower seeds

Looks like I may not have enough carbs.  Energy's pretty low.  Feel bloated all the time.  Any advice would be great.  About fell off the bandwagon last night.  Kids and wife eating totatlly different meals is not going well.  Thanks!!

I think we've had the chat before about smoothies being discouraged  :), so I suggest committing to dropping them for the remainder, especially since you're low in energy.

Snacks, if needed, should be a mini-meal containing a protein and fat.

Are you getting at least 7-8 hours of sleep per night?

Yes, I would suggest adding 1-2 carb-dense vegetables daily. They include sweet potato, winter squash, beets, carrots, jicama, plantains, rutabaga and parsnips.

Raw vegetables can cause bloating for some. Perhaps try switching to all cooked vegetables and see if that helps?

Also, are you staying sufficiently hydrated?  Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Chris,

Thanks for your help.  We're going to have to agree to disagree on the smoothies.  I've got 5 kids all under the age of 11.  There's not enough time and or money to prepare breakfast EVERYDAY the way I'd like.  Sometimes, smoothies are the only way I can get it done.  Again, no milk or anything but veggies almond butter and a small bit of fruit in smoothies.  It's better than the altrenative which is not eating breakfast at all!  :-)

Hydration is usually not an issue as all I drink is water. 

7-8 hours of sleep, CHECK! 

Carrots I eat.  None of the other thigns on your list I have ever tried (yes, that includes sweet potatoes).  Are white potatoes ok?  I kinow that's a dangerous question but I'm not a big french fry person anyway.

Thanks!

Chris,

Thanks for your help.  We're going to have to agree to disagree on the smoothies.  I've got 5 kids all under the age of 11.  There's not enough time and or money to prepare breakfast EVERYDAY the way I'd like.  Sometimes, smoothies are the only way I can get it done.  Again, no milk or anything but veggies almond butter and a small bit of fruit in smoothies.  It's better than the altrenative which is not eating breakfast at all!  :-)

Hydration is usually not an issue as all I drink is water. 

7-8 hours of sleep, CHECK! 

Carrots I eat.  None of the other thigns on your list I have ever tried (yes, that includes sweet potatoes).  Are white potatoes ok?  I kinow that's a dangerous question but I'm not a big french fry person anyway.

Thanks!

White potatoes are out on a Whole30, so try some other things on the carb-dense list.

If you're not willing to drop the smoothies (and therefore the raw veggies), I would suggest adding a digestive enzyme or fermented foods (e.g., sauerkraut, kimchi, or kombucha) to help with your bloating.   When you choose to have the smoothie, be sure to add a compliant protein on the side to meet the meal template. Nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Last night dinner- One pice of whiting, can (i know cans are bad) of green beans 1.5 pieces of bacon for fat

Breakfast- tangerine (At least it wasn't a smoothie this time)  :lol:

Lunch- Spinach (piled on the plate) salad with one sliced roma tomato, 3 chicken tenderloins, 2.5 thick cut strips of bacon (for the fat).  Olive oil mayo as dressing.  (What am I missing in this lunch?)

Dinner- Plan is to cook a sweet potato (don't know how to do that as I have never eaten one) to go with some fish/chicken and bell pepper.

Any thoughts?

Last night dinner- One pice of whiting, can (i know cans are bad) of green beans 1.5 pieces of bacon for fat

Breakfast- tangerine (At least it wasn't a smoothie this time)  :lol:

Lunch- Spinach (piled on the plate) salad with one sliced roma tomato, 3 chicken tenderloins, 2.5 thick cut strips of bacon (for the fat).  Olive oil mayo as dressing.  (What am I missing in this lunch?)

Dinner- Plan is to cook a sweet potato (don't know how to do that as I have never eaten one) to go with some fish/chicken and bell pepper.

Any thoughts?

Lunch and dinner look good. Breakfast could use some protein, veggies and fat. ;) 

Re: cooking a sweet potato - lots of options. You can bake it in the oven or microwave, or cube it up and roast it, or cut in slices or shred and sautee, or you can mash it after roasting.

Update from Sanibel Florida on vacation. It's been difficult to stay on track on vacation. I have done so eating mostly salads. For my lovely wife I went to the donut shop this morning, have gotten cake for some friends who were eating with us, watched my wife eat an awesome looking Sausage rigatoni entree. Hard times! It's day 18 and I'm determined to push through. I bought ISWF for the plane ride. It's been good so far. Hopefully I can get through this thing on track.

Thanks for listening!!

• Moderators

Anybody got a Sauerkraut brand that doesn't have sulfites? Every bag of kraut I look at has sulfites. I can't make my own.

HELP!

Wildbrine is another brand, but it's even harder to find than Bubbies. It will also be refrigerated, I've found it at my local health food store and at Central Market (I think that's a regional store, though, so you may not have those).

As far as sweet potato recipes, you might try a few of these (I haven't tried these exact recipes, but they look good, and really, unless you burn the sweet potato, they're pretty forgiving):

great for breakfast:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/19886925277/sweet-potato-hash-with-fried-eggs

A bunch of sweet potato recipes here (this is moderator Tom Denham's blog, they're all definitely W30 approved):

http://www.wholelifeeating.com/?s=sweet+potato

This is butternut squash, not sweet potato, but I've made it and it was good, and would also qualify as a starchy/higher carb veggie, or you could probaby make it with sweet potato instead if you preferred:

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2011/11/17/velvety-butternut-squash/

sweet potato fries (I like mine dunked in homemade mayo):

http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/2013/11/07/crispy-oven-baked-sweet-potato-fries/

Day 20.  Theme for the day: "Two out of Three Ain't Bad"  Sing it Meatloaf!!!

Breakfast:

Lara Bar and handful of almonds for breakfast (3 hour meeting and snowing!!)

Lunch:

Penzey's Bavarian seasoned Stir fry Chicken on top of spinach with tomatoes.  Oil and vinegar dressing.  2 pieces of bacon as my fat. Dessert- small tangerine

Dinner:

Sliced beef,on spinach salad with bell pepper and raw Zucchini topped with mustard.  

Dessert- four grapes

In the context of my pre-whole30 life, today would have been a wonderful day!!  Now, I was compliant, but not as good as I could have been.  It's all about perspective people.

I need something crunchy.  All of the chips at the store have some kind of ghetto canola oil in them.  Anybody have a sweet potato or veggie chip you can buy that's W30 approved?

Day 21:

B: 4 eggs, bacon, bell pepper

L: Spinach, rosemary chicken, tomato, bacon, bit of homemade mayo

D: Homemade sausage, Sauteed zuchini, sweet potato "chips"  I baked them and they were a little moist still.  Think I'm going to try and microwave them next time.

• Moderators

Have you tried kale chips? they get nice and crispy, although they won't stay that way for long if it's humid. Here's one recipe you could try:

http://nomnompaleo.com/post/2648091289/baked-kale-chips

I don't make them often because it seems like a lot of work for no more than you end up with, but if you're wanting something chip-like, it's a nice option.

Edited to add the link that somehow disappeared....

One of my fav sweet potato things to do:

Bake sw potatoes in a 400-425 degree oven for over an hour - they should be nice and squishy when gently squeezed - I bake 10# at a time on cook-up day and refrigerate - some for me and some for the dogs. Then they are ready to eat cold or what ever. I especially like to take the skins off and then slice and fry in ghee. They get a bit carmelized around the edges and go well for breakfast with eggs, greens, bacon and salsa. Great as a side for dinner too!

Here's a fabulous butternut squash recipe. Got a Costco near you? They are stocking butternut right now, already peeled and diced!

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/roasted-butternut-squash-with-sage

Day 22:

Getting snowed in the last 3 days has put some pressure on my eating plans.  Managed to get through ok.  I've been a bit grumpy the last week or so.  Probably, just anxious about getting finished.  I've always been a great starter and poor finisher.  Trying to see this thing through.

B: 2 eggs, 2 breakfast sausage, smoothie to drink (carrots, celery, bell pepper, 2 strawberries, half banana, 4 small grapes)

L: Baked okra, piece of lemon pepper whiting, bell pepper with almond butter

D: Chicken breast (Penzey's Turkish Blend), 2.5 cups of green beans, 1 tiny piece of pineapple and small banana.

AND I made brownies for my wife today! :-)

Day 23: Back to the grocery store!!!

B: 2 eggs, 2 breakfast sausage, spinach

L: Sauerkraut (I found the Bubbies!!) I also did something wild.  I just chopped a bunch of veggies, threw them in a pot, added salt and some Penzey's Turkish Blend, let that simmer while I cooked some skinless chicken thighs in the Penzey's Turkish Blend.  Added those to the veggies for some chicken stew.  Needs a little more salt but I can heat and eat it for dinner as well tonight.

Nobody responded to my brownie comment?!?!?! :-)

Day 26.  Another travel week.  Again, good intentions.  Ask as many questions of the restaurants as I can.  Be intentional, but not overanxious about knit-picking things to death.  Again, it's all about the spirit of the plan. :-)  Going to be hard to stay on plan eating the continental breakfast at Hampton Inn.  That's a wheat-fest.  Anybody got any ideas about breakfast? Chain restaurants that we KNOW have a whole 30 option?  Thanks!!

Day 26.  Another travel week.  Again, good intentions.  Ask as many questions of the restaurants as I can.  Be intentional, but not overanxious about knit-picking things to death.  Again, it's all about the spirit of the plan. :-)  Going to be hard to stay on plan eating the continental breakfast at Hampton Inn.  That's a wheat-fest.  Anybody got any ideas about breakfast? Chain restaurants that we KNOW have a whole 30 option?  Thanks!!

For the continental breakfast: Hard boiled eggs and fruit?

Other restaurant: A place where you can get a veggie omelette cooked in compliant oil.  Or, get poached eggs and veggies cooked in a compliant oil.

Stay away from sausage, bacon and ham - all likely to be non-compliant.

Archived