Help: Found non-approved ingredient in coconut milk

Hi there. I am on Day 17 of my second Whole30. Feeling amazing, better than ever before. No snacking, no moodiness, workouts are awesome... I'm ecstatic.

When using coconut milk, for the most part, I've used the bottled kind (100% compliant -fresh, non-commercial). But I also had some soups frozen before I started the Whole30 (prepping in advance), and totally forgot that I used canned coconut milk in them. When I remembered, I checked the label and it contains "sodium metabisulphite". I then checked on the forums and found that it's not approved (here).

So my question is -does this call for a total restart? Or should I add more days to it (I was already thinking I wanted to do that anyways). 

Thank you!  :D

Unfortunately it does because that is a common stomach irritant. Whether you start over as day 1 or make it a Whole 30 + number of days to make it 30 days without sulphites is a matter of wording that could affect how you feel about it. If the last time you ate the off plan coconut milk was day 6 though (or any day other than today really) the adding days is probably the easier choice. Did that make sense?

Yes, makes perfect sense actually, and exactly what I thought was going to be the answer. Thank you so much for responding so quickly! My last day would be today, since I had another soup with that canned coconut milk this morning, so I will add at least 17 more days (it would be a hassle to start from Day 1 because I've been keeping track of each day in my blog, and as you say, it's only a matter of wording, I will still make sure I get my clean 30 days).

Thanks!!  :D

Archived