Protein shakes

UCslug

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has come up before but I'm new to the site and not sure how to search all the topics without actually going through all of them.

I am starting my first W30 in 2 weeks and have convinced my finace to do it with me so it'll be easier and I'm less tempted to sneak some of his food. One thing that will be hard for him is his giving up his morning protein shake. Right now he makes it with banana, almond milk, (peanut butter but will switch to sunflower butter with the W30) and a chocolate protein powder. He doesn't do breakfast so he needs something and I'd rather him have a shake than nothing. Are there any W30 compliant "protein shakes". All the ingridients (banana, almond/coconut milk and sunflower butter) are compliant but are they as a shake?? And since I'm sure protein powder isn't W30, is there anything else he could add to the shake to make it more of a "meal"

Thanks for any advice!

Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this has come up before but I'm new to the site and not sure how to search all the topics without actually going through all of them.

I am starting my first W30 in 2 weeks and have convinced my finace to do it with me so it'll be easier and I'm less tempted to sneak some of his food. One thing that will be hard for him is his giving up his morning protein shake. Right now he makes it with banana, almond milk, (peanut butter but will switch to sunflower butter with the W30) and a chocolate protein powder. He doesn't do breakfast so he needs something and I'd rather him have a shake than nothing. Are there any W30 compliant "protein shakes". All the ingridients (banana, almond/coconut milk and sunflower butter) are compliant but are they as a shake?? And since I'm sure protein powder isn't W30, is there anything else he could add to the shake to make it more of a "meal"

Thanks for any advice!

Welcome! The best advise I can give is read the rules and then read them again. Also read your labels and then read them again. You may find that you have to make everything from scratch because there are so many non compliant packaged foods.

The best place to start is on page one of the Whole30, "I am new to the Whole30". If you want to search for something type it at the top of the website and you should find some answers to your questions.

Protein shakes are not recommended on the whole30. Check out the  "Can I Have" for more information on this and other frequently asked questions. http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/

Also I don't believe there is any compliant almond milk unless you make it yourself. Most almond milk that I am aware of has carrageenan in it which is also out for the whole30. There is one compliant boxed coconut milk that I know of called Aroy-D otherwise you will have to use canned. Check your labels to make sure your canned coconut milk is compliant.

You may want to look at the meal template so you will have a better understanding of what your meals should look like. http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf.

Good Luck!

Here is the specific portion of the "Can I Have" post that deals with protein shakes:

Almost all protein powders (like whey, casein, soy, or pea) contain off-limit ingredients. Besides, anything you can get from protein powder (except maybe chemical extractives, added sweeteners and strange-sounding isolates) you can get from whole foods during your Whole30. In addition, formulated and processed meal-replacement shakes like Shakeology or Visalus are always off-limits. These products don't even come close to our definition of real, whole food—and they're packed with off-plan ingredients like pea protein and stevia.

However, protein powder from approved ingredients like crickets (in Chapul bars) or 100% egg white are allowed on the Whole30, provided they contain no sweeteners. As always, though, liquid food is still not encouraged. Got it?

Tip: We want you to spend a month learning to appreciate real food, how it tastes, the work it takes to prepare, and how it works in your body. You can have your shaker cup back in 30 days; for now, focus on starchy veggies and lean protein after a workout. Hard-boiled eggs, compliant deli meat, smoked salmon, or tuna are easy, portable protein sources to take with you to the gym.

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/#sthash.g6kb875G.dpuf

Archived