Keeping it up, really.

Alliea

Okay, so clearly I need to stay on the forum for a while now that I've completed my second W30. The W30 itself was remarkably trouble-free, and my first day post W30 (yesterday) posed no real challenge. I added a glass of wine, some non-compliant olive oil mayo with my tuna, and about 5 bites of chocolate. Then, this morning I ate myself sick on the rest of the chocolate desserts I had hanging around in the freezer. The binge was probably the equivalent of 3 brownies total, but I seriously know better than to introduce even that much fatty sugar dairy garbage that quickly when I've been off of that stuff for a while. I had NO IDEA my control was so tenuous this time, but I was home for a repair person, and knowing that little tub of desserts was in the freezer, I couldn't leave it alone. Now I have heartburn, feel slightly nauseous, and mostly feel kind of stupid. Could just be the day--isolated thing and bad timing right after the W30, but I'm going to duck into this new thread to keep myself accountable at least for a bit longer.

Honest to Pete--chocolate! I have nothing else in the house that will particularly cause trouble I think. There was also a row of Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies in the freezer, which I handed to my daughter as she left the house. Giving myself a pat on the back for that one at least--voluntarily giving up Girl Scout cookies is an accomplishment. 

• Moderators

Ouch! But I bet you handle things better tomorrow.

About that olive oil mayo... When I checked that stuff in the grocery store, it had a trace of olive oil and a full complement of soybean oil as the main oil with which it was made. The olive oil label is mostly a marketing pitch, not a meaningful disclosure of the ingredients. 

About that olive oil mayo... When I checked that stuff in the grocery store, it had a trace of olive oil and a full complement of soybean oil as the main oil with which it was made. The olive oil label is mostly a marketing pitch, not a meaningful disclosure of the ingredients. 

Thanks, Tom, I'll have a closer look at the label. I've been pleased by how my homemade mayo has been turning out, and mostly wanted to use up the existing olive oil mayo to avoid wasting it (the environmentalist in me is at war with the W30 person in me). All the same, if the label suggests it's really heinous, I'll maybe strike a compromise and tip it into the compost pile and recycle the jar  :)

That sounds like bad timing to me. Being home waiting for a repair is not my idea of a good time, and depending on what's up, might be REALLY stressful! It's really hard to get out of that stress = binge rut, even when we know better!

Tomorrow will be a better day.

Full points to you, Tom--I had a look at the label and the second ingredient was--wait for it--soybean oil. The first ingredient was water, and olive oil was third. For some reason, they felt the need to also include potato starch. The other ingredients were not bad--nothing I couldn't pronounce, but still. I plan to keep making my own after this. 

Okay, a bit more centered today. Breakfast and lunch were both paleo with the exception of some noodles in my vegetable soup at lunch. For the moment, I've decided to think of yesterday as a quick, up-front lesson that I'm not as bullet proof as I think, and need to continue to be careful to keep no-brakes sort of foods less accessible. I'll also plan to pop in here a few more times over the next few days so I know I'm going to report on myself. With any luck, that will nip the problem in the bud. 

More positively, I'm enjoying how well my jeans fit this morning! I'm not really sure how much I lost during my W30 because I didn't write down the number before I started, but it was something like 6-7 pounds. I weighed myself on day 31, then picked up the scale and dropped it in the trash. Enough of that nonsense--I'm just going to go with how my clothes feel (and how I feel) from here on out. 

This morning I looked at the bag of Reeses Pieces sitting on the counter (from a gathering last night) along with the tortilla chips. I clipped them shut and shoved them in the cupboard, then cooked my usual veg-heavy breakfast. At this point I'm pretty sure I'll be fine and the thing with the brownies was some sort of aberration that I can get past (doubtless something like it will happen again, someday, but I mostly needed to know that I could recover and not use it as an excuse to-uh-lose my cookies. Or find a bunch more--whatever. Anyway, ducking back off the forum again until the next time. Cheers and best wishes to anyone who sees this. 

Archived