Who wants to start on February 9th with me??

Carmen Cosentino

It has been quiet! I had a *very* similar energy pattern today. I woke up feeling refreshed, but felt sluggish all afternoon. I even had a strong desire for dark chocolate, but it passed in about 10 min. No tiger blood yet. I made a seafood thai green curry last night with broccoli and kale, and ate it over roasted spaghetti squash. I truly love spaghetti squash! 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi- I haven't been following this thread carefully, but on kids: we don't generally expect them to meet the "3 meals/no snacks" ideal that we expect for adults. A snack after school is perfectly fine. I do think it would be best to make that snack a "mini-meal" format, though, so rather than just fruit (if that's what it's been) do something like hard boiled eggs, veggie sticks and guac.

For breakfast, the banana with almond butter suggested is lacking protein and I would worry about it lasting until lunch, especially for a kid! Breakfast protein doesn't need to be eggs, although hard boiled eggs and egg muffins work really well on the go, meat muffins, compliant sausages, leftover dinner, even compliant roast beef or turkey lunch meat would work if there is not time to cook. Serve that with some vegetables and fat. Again veggie sticks and guac or paleo mayo works great. I do steamed broccoli and red bell pepper strips most days, roasted and cubed sweet potato (just eat cold), steamed green beans, etc.

It has been quiet! I had a *very* similar energy pattern today. I woke up feeling refreshed, but felt sluggish all afternoon. I even had a strong desire for dark chocolate, but it passed in about 10 min. No tiger blood yet. I made a seafood thai green curry last night with broccoli and kale, and ate it over roasted spaghetti squash. I truly love spaghetti squash! 

mmmm Seafood thai green cury sounds delicious. I have left over spaghetti squash. What recipe did you follow? 

Congratulations on NOT giving into your craving! Way to go :-) 

I winged it! Sauteed some onions and garlic, and then added a bag of Trader Joe's frozen seafood mix (calamari, shrimp and scallops). After that had cooked a little while I added a can of coconut milk, a couple tablespoons of tomato paste, a small jar of Whole30 compliant Thai green curry paste. Adjusted the seasoning with salt & pepper, cayenne, etc. Added a full head of broccoli florets and chopped stems, and let the whole dish simmer for ~15 min. Added a couple cups of chopped kale at the end.

In retrospect, I wish I had made it hotter...but that's just me!

Tonight I roasted sweet potatoes with fajita seasoning, sauteed onions/peppers/zucchini in olive oil, and cooked NY strip steak in my cast iron pan. Delicious+leftovers=success.

Hope everyone had a great day.

I winged it! Sauteed some onions and garlic, and then added a bag of Trader Joe's frozen seafood mix (calamari, shrimp and scallops). After that had cooked a little while I added a can of coconut milk, a couple tablespoons of tomato paste, a small jar of Whole30 compliant Thai green curry paste. Adjusted the seasoning with salt & pepper, cayenne, etc. Added a full head of broccoli florets and chopped stems, and let the whole dish simmer for ~15 min. Added a couple cups of chopped kale at the end.

In retrospect, I wish I had made it hotter...but that's just me!

Tonight I roasted sweet potatoes with fajita seasoning, sauteed onions/peppers/zucchini in olive oil, and cooked NY strip steak in my cast iron pan. Delicious+leftovers=success.

Hope everyone had a great day.

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like how I cook. I usually go by what tastes good and what I have on hand. Sounds delicious. I will have to buy the Tj's seafood mix, never had that before. 

Ok, I'm making a Bj's run tonight. So far I know I'm buying bison and sweet potatoes. What else does everyone get from Bj's/Costco/Sam's?? 

Thanks for sharing. Sounds like how I cook. I usually go by what tastes good and what I have on hand. Sounds delicious. I will have to buy the Tj's seafood mix, never had that before. 

Ok, I'm making a Bj's run tonight. So far I know I'm buying bison and sweet potatoes. What else does everyone get from Bj's/Costco/Sam's?? 

My local BJ's just started selling tubs of coconut oil. I snagged it the other day - cheaper per ounce than what I can get at Trader Joe's.

I also get San Pellegrino or Perrier by the case.

Grass fed ground beef is at a good price as well.

If I'm in the mood for it, I'll also get some compliant prosciutto.

We have a Costco here (in K.C.). They have huge bags of dried apples - delicious and not as messy as whole ones if I am out somewhere. I also buy flank steak, shrimp, and bison and produce. I don't know if anyone has a Fresh market Store nearby but that is my new favorite place to buy healthy food.

We have a Costco here (in K.C.). They have huge bags of dried apples - delicious and not as messy as whole ones if I am out somewhere. I also buy flank steak, shrimp, and bison and produce. I don't know if anyone has a Fresh market Store nearby but that is my new favorite place to buy healthy food.

I have a Fresh Market, Whole foods, Trader Joes, all within 5 miles from my house.  I consider myself a very very lucky girl ;-) 

At my Fresh Market they have a weekly sale on Tuesday's. Last month certain meat was 2.99/lb. I'm sure you know this, but it's a good way to save money and help plan meals. Speaking of planning meals. I need to start planning for next week. Suggestions? 

I wish I had a Fresh Market near me! Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are accessible by subway, but those deals sound amazing!

Maybe next week we should all commit to making something we either have been hesitant to make, or haven't taken the time to learn how to make? A new soup, or new meat, or new vegetable? I'm thinking about trying to learn how to do either lamb or liver...I find both very intimidating. As always, I plan on roasting loads and loads of sweet potatoes :)

I have a Fresh Market, Whole foods, Trader Joes, all within 5 miles from my house.  I consider myself a very very lucky girl ;-) 

At my Fresh Market they have a weekly sale on Tuesday's. Last month certain meat was 2.99/lb. I'm sure you know this, but it's a good way to save money and help plan meals. Speaking of planning meals. I need to start planning for next week. Suggestions? 

I wish I had a Fresh Market near me! Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are accessible by subway, but those deals sound amazing!

Maybe next week we should all commit to making something we either have been hesitant to make, or haven't taken the time to learn how to make? A new soup, or new meat, or new vegetable? I'm thinking about trying to learn how to do either lamb or liver...I find both very intimidating. As always, I plan on roasting loads and loads of sweet potatoes :)

I LOVE this idea of trying something new! Challenge accepted! :-) 

I am sure I will be making something new next week. I just got Well fed 2 and I can't wait to start making those recipes. I'm kind of nervous about the weekend. We are on our way to visit my son at college so we will be eating out tonight and tomorrow and going to a basketball game.

I am sure I will be making something new next week. I just got Well fed 2 and I can't wait to start making those recipes. I'm kind of nervous about the weekend. We are on our way to visit my son at college so we will be eating out tonight and tomorrow and going to a basketball game.

Good luck with this weekend. Hopefully you took along your book to plan out some delicious recipes to make.

Last night I whipped up the Moroccan dipping sauce (Well Fed) and spread it over my chicken. Today I used some leftover sauce and added it to my sauteed kale. Delicious!

How's everyone feeling and doing so far? Any challenges this weekend? Keep up the great work, We're on the home stretch :-)

I am loving Well Fed 2. My daughter has made recipes from it over the weekend. We tried spaghetti squash fritters yesterday and today we Sweet potato soup with bacon. I loved it and will be perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. We are also experimenting with sauces and seasonings. I'm going to try pan-fried sardines sometime this week. (I have never been very excited over the thought of sardines, though).

I am loving Well Fed 2. My daughter has made recipes from it over the weekend. We tried spaghetti squash fritters yesterday and today we Sweet potato soup with bacon. I loved it and will be perfect for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. We are also experimenting with sauces and seasonings. I'm going to try pan-fried sardines sometime this week. (I have never been very excited over the thought of sardines, though).

mm spaghetti squash fritters sound delicious.

How was everyone's weekend?

I have to extend my whole30 by another full week. I'm running a marathon the Sunday after we finish and I don't want to make any dietary changes pre-race. Whole37, who else wants to join me? Finish date is March 17th :-)

mm spaghetti squash fritters sound delicious.

How was everyone's weekend?

I have to extend my whole30 by another full week. I'm running a marathon the Sunday after we finish and I don't want to make any dietary changes pre-race. Whole37, who else wants to join me? Finish date is March 17th :-)

I'll stay for Whole 37. I'll probably stay with it until the 22nd as I have a mini-vacation starting the 23rd. I'm afraid when I stop I will immediately revert to bad habits.

Pan-frying sardines! Ingenius. I had some just over sauteed greens and added some mustard because...kinda boring otherwise. Will try pan-frying in oil with garlic.

I have to admit some Whole30 failure over the weekend - had some friends in from out of town and made the choice to stray from total compliance. I have been pleasantly surprised that it hasn't triggered any desire to revert to old habits. I really do feel much better with veggies, proteins and good fats. Sugary foods...no thanks. I recognize that my Whole30 isn't really a Whole30, but I'm going to keep on trucking in the name of overall lifestyle change. I will definitely stick around for longer. Onward! 

Woohoo! Yay for joining me and THANK YOU. I know I will need the support. i'm here for anyone else as we begin to come near to the end. 

I'll stay for Whole 37. I'll probably stay with it until the 22nd as I have a mini-vacation starting the 23rd. I'm afraid when I stop I will immediately revert to bad habits.

Happy Wednesday! Congratulations to everyone for making it this far! Be proud and take a moment to reflect on the changes your body has encountered. I know for me I FINALLY am feeling energized. I will be truthful, for about 3 weeks I had NO energy, I felt so lethargic. I also started my period a week early and felt drained, I couldn't work out, I went to bed super early. I didn't have any desire or cravings for sweets or breads (I consider myself lucky as I've read a lot of people have). My roommate made the comment yesterday, that she doesn't like me not eating sweets because there aren't any good "healthified" sweets in the house. haha. I love to bake and pre Whole30 i would make what i thought were "healthy" desserts. Whole-30 has made me realize that I function better without gluten and sugary sweets. Now, am I going to be 100% compliant when my 30+ days are finished? absolutely not, I'm human. When I'm finished Whole-30 I'm going to find the most luscious piece of dark chocolate and enjoy with a glass of wine. 

My next goal is to become more open about the paleo lifestyle with friends and family ( I don't like saying diet because people have a negative perspective with "diet"). It's funny how our society has changed the meaning of words. I want to educate and support others in making healthy lifestyle choices and changes. 

So let's finish strong and keep supporting one another, we CAN do this :-) 

It's the weekend. Technically our last weekend, unless you're joining me for one more week. Let's end strong!

I'm going to be faced with some challenges this weekend. Will be out all day tomorrow. Hopefully I can eat the food I take along, not sure yet. Sunday I have a bridal shower. I plan on eating something light beforehand so when lunch comes I can nibble at salad and fruit. I'm sure the food will not be whole30 compliant so rather take the risk I'm going to enjoy my homecookings :-)

What's everyone making this weekend?

It's the weekend. Technically our last weekend, unless you're joining me for one more week. Let's end strong!

I'm going to be faced with some challenges this weekend. Will be out all day tomorrow. Hopefully I can eat the food I take along, not sure yet. Sunday I have a bridal shower. I plan on eating something light beforehand so when lunch comes I can nibble at salad and fruit. I'm sure the food will not be whole30 compliant so rather take the risk I'm going to enjoy my homecookings :-)

What's everyone making this weekend?

It is always so stressful to me when I eat out,but it sounds like you have planned for it. We had some grilled salmon tonight seasoned with ginger, coconut aminos, green onions and garlic. It was delicious! I have rainbow trout for tomorrow night (never eaten this before) that I might make with a nut coating. I have spent a lot of time looking at cookbooks and Pinterest recipes over the weekend and am looking forward to trying more of them.

Hi all! Congrats on making the 30. I think what has been most instructive to me over the past month is just how much better I feel when I eat "paleo" or Whole 30 compliant foods. I didn't make it the official 30 days, which was certainly a learning experience...I know exactly what makes me feel good, and what makes me feel gross. Suffice it to say that my eating patterns have changed for the better, but I need to read more about re-introduction. In a couple of months I will likely opt again for another Whole 30, but in the meantime will be incorporating much of this into my day-to-day.

As for that new recipe last week, I tried the Honey Ginger Apple Pork from PaleOMG (http://paleomg.com/honey-ginger-apple-shredded-pork/). Omitting the honey=Whole30 friendly. Keeping the raw honey=paleo friendly, but not Whole30 compliant. It is delicious! And best of all, preparation is easy, and if you let it cook overnight then it's practically painless and makes your kitchen smell fantastic.

Archived