Question about weight loss after Whole30

ssau

My wife and I have both just completed the Whole30 and had some really positive results including weight loss.  It has now been 10 days after finishing and the only cheats I have had are a few drinks on 3 different days and a couple of Doritos, but only 2 or 3 chips (who knows why I used to like those).  On the whole, we have been very good about staying away from grains and dairy as those are definite triggers for both of us.  Meals are essentially the same now as they were when we were doing the Whole30.

The concern is that for the last 10 days, our weight has not changed.  In fact, mine has been the same every morning down to the tenth of a pound (it is different in the PM so I am assuming the scale is functioning OK). I know that weight loss isn't the goal of Whole30, but it is important for us. 

Is it normal to have a stall in weight loss while following the Whole30?  We did step up our Crossfit workouts up to 5 times a week coming from going 3 times per week and we have been going there for a few months so I don't think there would be that much lean body mass increase after this much time.

Thanks for any thoughts you guys might have!

• Moderators

You can't lose weight looking at the scale every day. It scares the fat when you check frequently and it holds on tighter. 

I'm kind of joking and I am also completely serious. 

And increasing your workouts from 3 hours to 5 hours per week means you have seriously disturbed your system. It is not going to release fat until it knows you will feed it enough to support the extra work. You did start eating more when you upped the number of workouts, didn't you? And you increased the amount of time you devote to active recovery? All this matters. 

Food wise probably isn't much different other than an additional protein/fat snack about an hour before the work out and for active recovery we are foam rolling, stretching, doing yoga and things like that.  It just seems odd to me that after getting great results in a month's time, there has been little to no change in over a week.  Just trying to stay motivated...

Did you step on the scale during the 30 days or only after?  10 days seems too soon, especially with the change in activity.

Any chance you are underestimating the power of off-plan ingredients you have had?

I want to start my comment by saying that I totally understand that weight loss is more important to some of us than others. I love that Dallas and Melissa have tried their best to distract us from this because in my experience when OTHER goals are at the forefront the weight seems to fall off much more efficiently.With that being said Ive definitely lost weight on my whole 30. However I have never stepped on a scale since a few weeks before starting. Ive been done for about week and half and have definitely gone off road. I never meant to, that addictive shit just grabbed a hold of me again. With that being said I haven't fallen off completely and am almost %100 back on whole30 living since my week off track made me feel so shitty!

After just a handful of meals off track I feel like Ive gained 10 pounds back. This where I am soooo thankful that I don't have a scale!

I guess what Im saying is try using a pair of pants to track your progress instead of the scale. Clearly you're addicted to your scale. You and your wife should take it outside and light in on fire! I didn't realize why getting rid of it was so vital to whole30 but now it makes so much sense. Keep a little notepad journal of how you're feeling physically/emotionally and how your certain pair of pants are fitting that day. Think about how you would feel if you didn't know how much you weighed? You would base your progress on so many MORE IMPORTANT things. I was looking forward to weighing myself after my whole30 but now there is NO WAY I would step on a scale. Why. so it can say a number that's higher than I want, then I feel bummed, discouraged, stressed ( stress hormones hold onto the fat)?

I know for sure that if I had stepped on a scale while off track that I would've either kept eating poorly if I hadn't gained weight and would hate myself if I had, Which for me is just another excuse to stay down. Because I haven't weighed myself I have been able to completely focus on how Ive actually felt while off plan. I am back on track because of how I feel now and I know that if I stay committed those pants will get looser and looser:)

On a side note: Cut down on fruits, nuts & salt but make sure you make up for LOTS of veggies!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived