Mike's Log

namtrag

My wife and I started yesterday after spending Saturday reading the book, shopping, and looking at recipes. I think we will do great on the program, and we are happy to be doing it together. I am so lucky to have a wife who loves to cook...I'd cook, but she won't let me lol.

My goals are to lose some inches from my midsection, get my blood pressure down (130/85 even on lisinopril at 10mg per day), and just to feel better. In the past, I have done a bodybuilding exercise routine, but for the past year or so, have not worked out much. I think we are going to take a week to get used to the diet, and walk every day, then start back lifting weights in week 2 by going 3 times a week to the rec center. Eventually we might try crossfit, but we will have to figure a way to fit it into our budget. One other thing to mention: we love backpacking, and really want to get in shape for that as well. I will be interested in learning how to eat Paleo on a backpacking trip.

I weighed in on day 1 at 217.4 lbs and am 5'8". I am 52 years old. While I carry my weight well, I noticed in the before pictures my wife took, I don't look good at all. No wonder my bp is high! I will wait and put the pics up at the end.

Anyway, just to recap Day 1, I had:

Meal 1: 3 eggs fried in ghee, half a sliced avocado, and a sliced roma tomato

Meal 2: Chicken breast cutlets fried in coconut oil, brocoli slaw fried in coconut oil, and a sliced up apple

Meal 3: a bowl of grass fed ground beef fried in ghee, with sauteed onion and mushrooms mixed in.

Noticed a little bit of hunger, but not too bad...what was cool is the main hunger periods hit right at the time the next meal was supposed to be.

I thought I would die without being able to put a splenda and 2 oz of sugar free vanilla creamer in my coffee, but lo and behold, I found the coffee to taste quite good black. It could be the brand we use in our Keurig. We have a reusable cup and we use Cafe Bustelo in it. I think it is roasted slower and at a lower temp than American coffee. It wasn't the least bit bitter, and almost had a sweet taste.

I think the thing I will miss the most is cheese. I almost always ate cheese with my eggs and it was really good.

I will say that the food tastes so much better cooked in plenty of fat, and I think it keeps me full longer this way.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to mention that I'd like to improve my cholesterol profile as well.  I haven't had it done in a while, but last time I had 120 ldl and 35 hdl :(, although my vldl was very good at 10.   I'd like to get the hdl up a good amount.  It's never been above 45.

Yesterday, we had the leftover burger, mushroom and onion mixture for breakfast, leftover chicken, broccoli slaw and an apple for lunch, and pork chops fried in coconut oil, with asparagus for dinner. In addition, I ate 2 boiled eggs in the afternoon.

I am not sure how not to snack when our meals are so spread out. We get up at 5, and my wife leaves for work at 6. She sometimes works until 6, and drives 45 minutes to get home. So 6, 11, and 4 would be our meal times using the 5 hour gap. My actual meal times are more like 6, 12 and 7:30. No way to make it in the afternoon without having a hunger problem, unless I throw in a snack. Does anyone else run into this? Do you snack, or just wait to eat?

One thing so far is, no cravings, no headaches and no constipation. In fact I almost feel like I am overeating because each meal is so satisfying! Out of curiosity, I put my food intake into fitday and it was about 1700 calories, so no way was it too much! It just seems like a lot of food. So unlike the mantra you hear when you are bodybuilding, which is "you have to eat 6 times a day"

Other than a couple of slight 5 minute feelings that heartburn was coming on (which it never did), I have been free of it from the start. I was eating Rolaid's and the chewable antacids like candy up until I started the program.

I swear this program feels like cheating every meal, which I mean in a good way...everything tastes so good, and cooking things in oil really makes you feel satiated.  My wife, Paula, says she doesn't feel right because she doesn't feel deprived.  We are from the background of either losing weight by cutting way back, or gaining weight by eating way too much...no in between! 

So far today

Meal 1, 6 am:  3 sliced boiled eggs, with 1/2 an avocado and a handful of baby carrots

Meal 2 1130am: 2 small thin cut pork chops fried in coconut oil, a small sweet potato with a tiny amount of ghee and cinammon, and some broiled asparagus brushed with olive oil and italian spices.  And a whole apple cut up for dessert.

For my snack at 400pm: I will have 2 boiled eggs and a small closed handful of cashews.

Meal 3 at about 7:30: steak fried in olive oil, cilantro cauliflower rice (highly recommend this!) from NomNom Paleo,  handful of cherry tomatoes.  

I am reading a lot about eggs being the protein source, but come on, really?  Unless you eat 5 of them, you aren't getting much protein. 6g each is not a lot.  Just my observation as a former iron head.  The positive side is that the protein we do get from eggs is complete amino profile.

I am reading a lot about eggs being the protein source, but come on, really?  Unless you eat 5 of them, you aren't getting much protein. 6g each is not a lot.  Just my observation as a former iron head.  The positive side is that the protein we do get from eggs is complete amino profile.

Eggs have much MUCH much more to offer than just being a protein source so although they're not the most potent source of protein you could eat they are incredibly high in other nutrients. Some benefits of eggs include: 

"Egg yolks are one of the richest dietary sources of the B-complex vitamin choline, which is associated with better neurological function and reduced inflammation. There's also evidence that dietary choline helps with fetal brain development when pregnant women eat it. Another side benefit of a diet rich in choline is, well, happiness.

Choline breaks down into bethane, which is used during the methylation cycle, which in turn helps produce 'happiness' hormones like serotonin, dopamine, norephinephrine, explains Ramsey.

Egg yolks also contain two carotenoids, lutein and zeaxanthin, which protect against vision loss. And, as we've reported earlier, they have a big dose of sulfuEggs are also high in sulfur, an essential nutrient that helps with everything from vitamin B absorption to liver function. But sulfur is also necessary for the production of collagen and keratin, which help create and maintain shiny hair, strong nails and glowing skin."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/30/health-benefits-of-eggs-yolks_n_2966554.html

Also, by eating 4 eggs a day (more than the huffington post article recommends but I don't buy the recommended maximums for 1 minute and choose to eat 3-4 eggs a day), you would be consuming the following:

nearly 100% of choline, selenium, biotin, and vitamin B12

50% or more of iodine, pantothenic acid, and vitamin D

Along with many other nutrients. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=92

So, I get your point but looking at protein alone when assessing a food's value misses a huge component of what many foods has to offer. 

This morning I was constipated when I got up, and then an hour later just the opposite?  A co-worker had a problem Monday, so I either am catching the bug, or the changes to my system are catching up.

Today's meals

1: 3 sliced boiled eggs with half an avocado and some raw carrots.

2: Leftover steak cooked in olive oil, cilantro cauliflower rice, and a Cara Cara oranges

Snack: 3 boiled eggs, and handful of cashews

3: 4 eggs fried in ghee, zuchini and onions sliced up and sauteed in ghee also.

So far, I have had no heartburn lasting more than 2-3 minutes...sometimes I can feel like it's coming on after I eat, particularly eggs, but it goes away pretty quickly.

My heartburn before this program was weird...I would eat, then go about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then the severe heartburn would set in.  Like I said above, I was using antacids like crazy for the past couple of months.  From the first day on Whole 30, this pattern completely went away.  I wonder what was causing it.

Looking back at Day 4, I ate 10 eggs! So glad I love eggs, I really could eat them every meal, every day.

One thing I tripped up on somewhat is that I have been adding coconut milk to my coffee, but overdoing it I think. I went through a lot of coconut milk in the past 2 days!

Starting into Day 5, I have had none of the fogginess, nor wanting to snap anyone's head off that we are supposed to go through. I have noticed no tiredness until about 8:30-9pm, then I become very sleepy. Still no acid indigestion lasting more than a few minutes, and it's occurring within a half hour of eating, as opposed to the severe AI occurring 2 hours after eating that I was having before.

Today's meals will be filled in as eaten.

1: 4 eggs fried in ghee, microwaved sweet potato, 5 cashews.

2: My wife made us a yummy chicken salad of cut up chicken breast, mixed with avocado, celery, a big handful of spinach, and some chopped up green onions, topped with a few cashews.

Snack: 2 boiled eggs on spinach, and a small handful of cashews

3: 2 chicken thighs cooked in coconut oil, 2 cups broccoli slaw cooked in coco oil, and a handful of raw mixed nuts ( don't worry, no peanuts!)

Veggies might be a bit light. The meal template recommends 1-3 cups of veggies at each meal.

Also, the nuts serving portion is a closed handful, so it's ok to have more than 5 cashews at breakfast.  :)

Are you drinking water throughout the day? Aim for consuming half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Thanks, Chris, really need to concentrate on ramping the veggies up! And the 5 cashews were just what I ate at the end of the meal....I thought I'd had enough fat with the eggs and the coconut oil they were cooked in. I need to stop fearing the fats a little lol

Water is good, my method is to chug 16 oz glasses about once every hour or two

Feel great, I have had none of the "symptoms" so far.  No cravings, no headache, no fogginess, no "I wanna kill someone."  I am beginning to wonder if I am doing something wrong! lol  I am on day 6 and feel great.  The only thing I really, really miss is my coffee with sugar free french vanilla creamer and a stevia packet.  I don't miss cheese at all, and I think it's because I am getting plenty of fat...

For breakfast:  4 eggs fried in ghee, half an avocado sliced up, and a half a large sweet potato.

For lunch: leftover chicken thighs...these were so good fried in coconut oil, with lime juice and cilantro.  Paula fried them until they had a crispy coating to them.   Who needs chicken breast when you can have thighs cooked like this?

Anyway, will have 2 thighs, some roma tomatoes, a handful of cashews, and a cara cara orange.

Snack: 3 slices of Applegate Roast Beef, handful of cashews.

Supper:  grass fed ground beef bowl with asparagus stir fry frozen veggies (Pictsweet), cooked in Coconut oil, a few mixed nuts thrown on top.

Day 7, still going strong

Breakfast: 3 large fresh eggs ( a woman I work with has a friend with backyard hens...she sells the eggs!) , sliced up and fried sweet potato pieces, all fried in ghee

Lunch: leftover ground beef/asparagus stir fry, handful of cashews, large banana.

Snack: 2 slices applegate roast beef, small handful of mixed nuts

Had severe heartburn yesterday afternoon. Not sure what caused it, but it had to be the Kombucha. We got ginger berry flavor, and I had about half. The heartburn lasted all the way to bedtime. It lessened some when I ate dinner, but came back. So disappointed that I went so long without it.

Anyway, we had a paleo hash for supper last night and it was excellent. Compliant chorizo, butternut squash, cilantro, spinach, onion, red pepper, lime juice, all cooked in ghee

post-41090-0-12992600-1393767258_thumb.j

Yesterday was a great day.  We walked the dog for 25 minutes at a fast pace in the morning, and went and did a little bit of upper body work at our gym in the afternoon.

Meal 1:  

Meal 2:  Leftover hash with 2 eggs

Snack:  Epic Bar and some cashews

Meal 3:  Chicken curry with green beans, orange.  

I also cooked up a batch of chocolate chili and it tasted great, I had a couple of bites.  We are saving it for a midweek dinner when we won't have time to cook.

Today is Day 9. No problems at all so far other than the bout with severe heartburn Saturday...I am pretty sure it was the Kombucha. Apparently, drinking it on an empty stomach was my problem as the pH of it is very acidic...3.2. This morning is the first time it feels like my pants may be a little looser. I still am wondering what I am doing wrong, as I have had no headaches, lightheadnesses, or crankiness, nor have I had any cravings for forbidden stuff. My only issue is I get hungry occasionally when I shouldn't be...that is, 2-3 hours after eating. Still think this program is awesome as you just eat good stuff and don't have to be a calorie Nazi. Everything tastes so good cooked in ghee or coconut oil, and it makes you feel like you're getting away with something! lol

Meal 1: 3 boiled eggs, half an avocado, a cup of raw baby carrots.

Meal 2: Leftover chicken curry with green beans and some cashews

Snack: 4 slices of applegate herb turkey, small handful of cashews.

Meal 3: chocolate chili over cauliflower rice. OMG it was good, may have it with an egg on top for breakfast!

Leftover Day!

Day 10 and still no problems...no cravings of any kind. Never suffered any of the stuff called for in the timeline. I am wondering if maybe that timeline and some of the issues might be unique to women...either that, or I must be doing something wrong. Or maybe my body just craved me eating right, so when I did, it was fine with it. In any case, this is almost 1/3rd done already and it seems like just yesterday I started. If I were having issues, I would be thinking, "Damn, it's only Day 10????"

Meal 1: Leftover chocolate chili over cauliflower rice (smaller portion of chili), with one egg fried in ghee on top...runny yolk mixed into chili is so good.

Meal 2: Larger portion of chocolate chili over cauliflower, handful of cashews, banana

Snack will be 3 boiled eggs

Meal 3: baked whole chicken breast, Brussels sprouts with a little ghee, and a small sweet potato with a little ghee

Day 11

Breakfast: 3 fried eggs with diced chicken breast, fried in ghee. Missed having a veggie

Lunch: leftover chicken breast and Brussels sprouts, cashews

Snack: 2 eggs, small amount of leftover chocolate chili over cauliflower rice

Dinner: 2 applegate hot dogs fried in ghee, topped with sauerkraut, onion and apple chunks which were all sautéed in ghee

Feel great, still getting sleepy at 9 pm very night, but maybe this is my body rhythm

I tape measured my waist on Day 2, and it was 40" on the button.

Taped this morning and it is still 39.75."   Slightly discouraging,  although my wife says it looks like I am slimming down.  I guess it's possible that I am losing fat in the reverse order I put it on, so the waist would be the last to go.

I guess this is the same as weighing, so I probably should not do it, right?

I tape measured my waist on Day 2, and it was 40" on the button.

Taped this morning and it is still 39.75."   Slightly discouraging,  although my wife says it looks like I am slimming down.  I guess it's possible that I am losing fat in the reverse order I put it on, so the waist would be the last to go.

I guess this is the same as weighing, so I probably should not do it, right?

Yup, take a look at the rules again.

No stepping on the scale or taking measurements during a Whole30. You can do it!

Ok, yesterday was Day 12.

Breakfast: 2 eggs fried in ghee, with one leftover hot dog sliced up in it, and half a banana

Lunch:  Leftover hot dog, sauerkraut and apple, along with some raw baby carrots.

Snack:  went to a client, and while there, I had an Epic beef, cherry and habanero bar...made sure it was compliant, along with a handful of cashews.

Supper: Burrito bowl from here...  Highly recommend it!  

http://www.katrina-runs.com/whole-30-day-20-pass-the-cheese

Archived