Full and satisfied after lunch, then really hungry few hours later

I apologize if this question has been answered, i searched and could not find an answer. Here is my problem. i eat lunch and get really full, sometimes can't finish my meal. But 2 hours later I'm starving! I will usually have to save my veggies from lunch and eat them but I can not make it to dinner without a snack AND a pre-WO snack. Has anyone had this happen, what should I do. I have my logging my meals under the forum. 

If I'm hungry then I eat. A meal that follows the template is ideal. There's no categorical rule against eating more than 3 meals from my understanding--snacking is discouraged however. So, i'd say don't snack and plan another meal (or mini meal) based on the template. I think listening to your body is critical to the programv and no one would encourage you to not eat if you're legitimately hungry.

what is a typical lunch for you, carmen?  and breakfast?  since that is not leaving you hungry, it gives us a sense of how much food YOU need.

Here is a copy of my food log ( I've been logging under the whole 30 log). "Better late then never.."

Day 16:

Meal 1:

2 egg muffins (veggies), 1/4 avocado spread on muffins, 1/2 sweet potato, 1/2 grapefruit

Meal 2:

Well Fed Chocolate Chili, Spinach Salad (leftovers from previous day), Other 1/2 of sweet potato from morning

Snack:

Macadamia Nuts, Snap peas and carrots (raw) 

Pre-WO: 1 HB egg

Meal 3: 5 Turkey cranberry meatballs (Well Fed, a tablespoon a piece), kale sautéed with olive oil,

bowl of golden cauliflower soup (well Fed recipe).

Exercise: bike trainer for 60minutes

Day 17:

Meal 1: 1 1/12 chicken sausage, ¼ avocado, 2 egg muffins (veggie), ½ grapefruit, ½ sweet potato

I tried to eat the whole Sweet potato but I was too full

Meal 2: Chocolate Chili, Spinach salad w/beets, peppers, tomatoes and balsamic vinegar, ½ sweet potato

Veggies snap peas about 1 hour after lunch

Snack: Apple(couldn't eat at lunch because I was too full)  and macadamia nuts 

HB egg driving home from work (had to run some errands)

Meal 3: Spaghetti squash, 5 turkey meatballs (1 tbs a piece), coconut oil, green beans with slivered almonds, Bowl of Cauliflower soup

No exercise too tired.

Day 18: Today

Meal 1: 3 egg muffins, ½ avocado, and ½ sweet potato. I increased the egg muffin from 2 to 3 per GFChris recommendations. Will evaluate and see how this goes today. 

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.@GFChris has been commenting on my food log and has been providing useful information. I'm curious what other people have experienced and found helpful. 

Well I'm not an expert but I'd say you should add more fat.  I eat 1/2 an avocado with breakfast - I think this is what is considered a serving on the template so try upping that.

You also don't seem to be eating any fat with vinegar. Could you add 1 T of olive oil with your balsamic vinegar to your salad or add the nuts to your salad/eat with lunch?  That might help keep you full.

Well I'm not an expert but I'd say you should add more fat.  I eat 1/2 an avocado with breakfast - I think this is what is considered a serving on the template so try upping that.

You also don't seem to be eating any fat with vinegar. Could you add 1 T of olive oil with your balsamic vinegar to your salad or add the nuts to your salad/eat with lunch?  That might help keep you full.

Thanks! Great suggestion on adding olive oil to me salad. I will try this out tomorrow. I will increase the avacado to 1/2 as well. I've noticed that it's taking my body time adjusting to eating more at a meal than how I ate 3 small meals with snacking in between (especially after dinner which was not needed) pre W30. 

usually when I have avocado for lunch with my salad, I have a whole one...!

today I even had one avocado (ok, it was a very small size) AND olives AND olive oil as my fat source :)

Just to say : don't be afraid to overdo the fat! It is true that it's the fat that keeps us satiated longer...

usually when I have avocado for lunch with my salad, I have a whole one...!

today I even had one avocado (ok, it was a very small size) AND olives AND olive oil as my fat source :)

Just to say : don't be afraid to overdo the fat! It is true that it's the fat that keeps us satiated longer...

Thanks! I ate a 1/2 of an avocado with my breakfast this morning. I am definitely going to make sure I'm eating enough fat at each meal. 

• 3 weeks later...

I am having the same problem as the above poster (Starving everyday around 2:30 pm)

Today, I had

Breakfast: leftover rotisserie chicken and one banana ( I don't always have fruit with breakfast)

Lunch: Spaghetti squash with hamburger and homemade tomato sauce, and a small side-salad I didn't feel like finishing, that was dressed with olive oil and raspberry vinegar.

I feel like I had enough, and I don't know where I've gone wrong to be so hungry. Also, I don't know what to have for a snack... yesterday I ended up eating one little piece of chicken as a snack but I understand that you are supposed to make a snack into a mini-meal. So would a handful of raw almonds be a bad thing to have now, when I feel so hungry?

Thank-you.

I am having the same problem as the above poster (Starving everyday around 2:30 pm)

Today, I had

Breakfast: leftover rotisserie chicken and one banana ( I don't always have fruit with breakfast)

Lunch: Spaghetti squash with hamburger and homemade tomato sauce, and a small side-salad I didn't feel like finishing, that was dressed with olive oil and raspberry vinegar.

I feel like I had enough, and I don't know where I've gone wrong to be so hungry. Also, I don't know what to have for a snack... yesterday I ended up eating one little piece of chicken as a snack but I understand that you are supposed to make a snack into a mini-meal. So would a handful of raw almonds be a bad thing to have now, when I feel so hungry?

Thank-you.

If you need a snack because you're genuinely hungry in between meals, have a mini meal that includes a protein and fat.  So, have some chicken with those nuts, for example, as nuts are a fat source on a Whole30.

Do you have a copy of the recommended meal template?  Try to have each of your meals follow the template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and the appropriate amount of compliant fat.  Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

You may want to try including carb-dense veggies in at least one of your daily meals.

Are you staying sufficiently hydrated? Aim for drinking water, in the amount of at least half your body weight in ounces, daily.

Also make sure that rotisserie chicken is compliant: no gluten, soy, carrageenan or other nasties.

Archived