snacks and the food/mood connection.

hafoy

So, as I am doing the whole 30, I am also doing a lot of research about the mood/anxiety link and food. Good news is that I am in Day 5, and after years of suffering from anxiety and depression, I have felt a definite lift in my mood. Turns out animal protein and balanced blood sugar is key in keeping your mood up. Many nutritionists have suggested a snack somewhere during my day that contains animal protein, and they often suggest yogurt/ cottage cheese. Obviously this is a no-go. I can't really think of anything quick besides hard boiled eggs. Suggestions?

I can only handle so many eggs...I like to make deviled eggs now and then instead of plain hard boiled. But still...so many eggs!!

I use the brining method from The Clothes Make the Girl (But typically skip some of the Moroccan seasonings. I'm good with S&P) to brine a bunch of chicken at the beginning of the week. Then I grill it, and have it readily accessible all week for pre- and post-workout meals, salads, quick dinners, or whatever. 

I'm thinking you could slice it nice and thin after it cools, and portion it into baggies for easy access. Use it in lettuce wraps, in a stir-fry, on salad, or even alone dipped in creamy balsamic with a side of cold veggies. 

Another quick and easy option is canned tuna mixed with compliant mayo.

Best of luck!

My new favorite sort-of on the go protein is canned tuna packed in olive oil... I believe the brand is Genova? The label is gold. It's really good! I sprinkle a little salt and compliant italian seasoning blend on top. Yum! Then you are getting protein/healthy fats all in one.

Archived