Lent is a Great Time for a New Start

LindaLee

Hello! I've done a successful Whole30, fell off, then a terrific Lurong Challenge for 56 days, then truly fell off. I have been struggling to get back into something consistent; tomorrow Lent begins and that is a great time for many things - abstinence, self-reflection, and a commitment to satisfying true cravings, rather than using sugar in any form as a substitute.

I usually give up Facebook for Lent but I desperately need the support, so I've decided to approach this Lent in a different, less self-serving way. I'm not going to elaborate, but I pray to be able to do it well.

I'm not posting this as a Whole30 since my most successful sustained effort was the Lurong, which allowed my pre- and post-workout protein drinks (I know these are less than ideal, but I've found they work for me and otherwise I don't have anything). I want to adopt this as a lifestyle with Whole30s in-between.

If anyone would like to join me, I sure could use the community. It helped me tremendously during my Whole30 and I credit my success to that. 

So, effective with after dinner tonight...here we go...

Today's verse is perfect: Isaiah 30:20-21, 23:

"Though the Lord may give you the bread of adversity and the water of affliction, yet your teachers won't be hidden any more, but your eyes will see your teachers; and when you turn to the right hand, and when you turn to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, 'This is way. Walk in it.' He will give the rain for your seed, with which you will sow the ground; and bread of the increase of the ground will be rich and plentiful. In that day, your livestock will feed in large pastures."

This is the way. Walk in it.

PS - I used to know how to upload photos to my profile/posts, but I cannot for the life of me remember, and cannot find the link to it. Can someone point me in the right direction? Thank you - 

Click on your current photo which will take you to your profile. Hover over your picture and you will see a box that says "change", click that and follow the instructions. :)

As to the rest...could you right out what your boundaries/rules are for your personal challenge so that we can help keep you accountable (assuming you want accountability). I know for me that it helps a lot if the people reading my log know what I'm trying to adhere too.

Thanks, Physibeth! I was able to change my profile picture, but I can't recall how to upload other pictures to My Media.

My goals are:

Nutrition: Lurong challenge rules but with no sugars other than fruits and the stevia that is in my Fuel and Recovery drinks. No dessert subs like my frozen banana with coconut milk and cocoa powder (this also is my Lenten abstinence)

Fitness: 4 WODs a week plus at least two days extra strength work and one day active rest (walk, stretches, yoga)

Other body care: stretches, chiropractic exercises daily, yoga one day per week

Self-discipline: one hour of recreational technology per day - I.e., general Facebook, games, etc. Facebook posts will brag and be supportive of others - no self-promoting :) Posting to our closed Lenten Warrior group for support is okay for now, but I'll watch myself. Also reading on my iPad is okay.

Devotional: daily devotional/reflection, be it Lenten meditation, Rosary, Stations of the Cross, etc. 30 minutes a day (prayer)

Alms-giving: put aside $3 per day to contribute to my church at Easter

My other goals are to watch my words and speak kindly of others, and to give to my husband joyfully.

These are tall orders, so I am hoping for some sisterly assistance!

Those are some tall orders but they seem important to you. I've given up Facebook in the past few Lenten seasons, I am currently not on Facebook at all but do play too much on av club and other websites so I will join you in the one hour rec technology a day! I think one hour is reasonable. I guess that includes this forum?

This is my 3rd whole 30 & I really want to make this one stick. I am like a kid in a candy store within days of finishing the last two and while every week I would start working at eating within the template but after three days or so, I've caved and eat crud. This cycle continues for a few months. Until I hate how I feel so much I have the initiative and drive to commit to it again. Healthy, huh?

Love the bible verse and appreciate it this morning. Hope day one is a success!!

Very tall orders, I agree! So far today has gone reasonably well. It's Ash Wednesday, and I carefully packed my one normal meal in my lunch bag...then realized while I was on my way to work that I had packed my breakfast. Which is made with pork. 

So...I had to make do with what else I could find. Had a protein drink, carrots, and olives for breakfast. Lunch was two hardboiled eggs and another protein drink. Then I had my normal meal for dinner - salmon cakes, sweet potato hash browns, part of a cucumber salad, and two mandarins. I had a bad headache and am tired! But day one is done. And I made it to Mass this morning - I was late, but I was listening to Mass on EWTN while I was driving. I made it just in time for the distribution of ashes. It felt so good to start the day that way.

I also made it through without Facebook today, which wasn't hard during the day...it's been a little tougher tonight!

I'm not counting this as my hour of technology...YET. If it gets out of hand, I may change my mind.

How's everyone else doing?

Today's verse: Psalm 119:101-102, 105:

"I have kept my feet from every evil way, that I might observe your word. I have not turned aside from your ordinances, for you have taught me. Your word is a lamp to my feet, and a light for my path."

Some verses just soothe..."A lamp unto my feet, and a light for my path"...

Archived