Whole30 to a T!!!

Talie1706

Well actually this will be a Whole30+ as hitting it for Lent.  Today is Day 2 and feeling positive about succeeding.  Have already refused cake and chocolate usually my downfall as it is permanently in the office and the reason I went off track, well more like off roading, cross country and hitting several trees on the way lol.  I acheived a Whole30 last July, have started several since but let myself be distracted by cheat foods and then bad foods which got too many (my definition is cheat foods are worth it, bad foods is not worth the cheat)

So yesterday's (Day 1) food:

Brunch: 2xHB eggs and blueberries/spinach/bannana/coconut milk blended together and eaten with spoon (can't eat blueberries or spinach on their own and cant taste them this way)

Dinner: 2 large chicken thighs, apple and almonds

Water: 3 large mugs decaff Green Tea(GT) and 1.5 Ltrs water

Exercise:none, wednesday is a rest day.

I know I didnt eat enough food but felt really full.

Day 2 (so far):

Breakfast: 2 x HB egg and small banana

Lunch: chicken curry (chicken breast, coconut milk, pureed spinach, tomatoes and passata, onion, garlic, ginger and various spices), swede&carrot mashed with ghee and black pepper

Dinner: beef bolognaise sauce with carrot and cougette(zuchinni)  zoodles (will also be tomorrows lunch!!!)

Water: 1xlge GT, sm black coffee, 1Ltr water

Exercise: Tonight is zumba class for 1 hour, considering adding some HIIT sessions daily into my plan but teach 5-6 classes a week so will let the food habits kick in first :)

I can do this, sugar demons be gone :P

I am in no position to offer advice, being another sugar dragon slayer myself, but your food log seems very low in the veggies. Check out the recommended template (which I would link you to. But don't yet have that skill!). I have found that big consumption in vegetables really helps the cause... And makes it easier to move along without feeling deprived.

Hi gardengirl and thanks.  yes trying to increase veggies and steer away from fruit which I would usually have.  today's is much better than yesterday.  The swede and carrot mash is a fave of mine and have huge portion.  Struggling to have veggies instead of fruit for breakfast, think i will resort to raw carrot sticks, maybe peppers too

I dont feel deprived because I am full, but am aware that sugar dragon will probably arrive tomorrow, have shield of carrots and sword of chicken drumstick ready to beat him off :D

Here is the template link for you if you need it: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Veggies at meal 1 was hard for me at first too. I like to saute some greens in compliant fat with sea salt and then scramble my eggs into them. Making veggie fritattas is nice as well. I often eat 1/4 cup of raw sauerkraut at my first meal (or other fermented veggie). Vegetable purreed soups are good too and a nice way to get bone broth in. Try committing to no fruit at your first meal until you can regularly include 1-3 cups of vegetables. 

Thanks Physibeth, I'm considering trying omlette's again, and stuffing with bacon spring onions and peppers with a side of mushrooms sauteed in coconut oil :)  I struggle getting out of bed mornings tho as I'm not a good sleeper so that may have to come with time :)

So yesterday's dinner was the bolognaise made with lean minced beef and tons of tomatoes and mushrooms.  I made the zoodles using 2 large carrots and 1 large courgette (zuchinni) and sauteed in coconut oil and mmmmmmmmmmmm they were soooooooo good :D  Also managed to get my water intake up, 2.5 ltrs yesterday, feel better for that as I'd got out of habit of drinking as much water

Day 3 the plan!!

Breakfast and lunch packed for work:

B: 2 x HB eggs, large carrot and large pepper cut in sticks

L: More beef bolognaise and a huge green side salad with half a lemon to dress it

D: beef bolognaise and zoodles again

W: 1ltr of water on my desk to drink this morning and large Decaff GreenT.  already drank a glass of water after getting up.  Need to drink a litre this afternoon also

Feeling positive :)

Your day 3 appears light on fat. What are you counting as fat?

The egg yolks are fat, Large eggs.  The zoodles will be sauteed in cocnut oil and the beef bolognaise has some fat in in as I used coconut oil when browning the minced beef and onions.  I have almonds and walnuts with me, do you think I should have a handful of these too???  I am full after meals and not feeling the need to snack.  Thanks

My advice would be to add a 3rd egg to your first meal (a serving of eggs is the number of whole ones you can hold in your hand...for me that is 3-4) which should be sufficient fat. You could also add some homemade mayo to dip those veggies in. For your 2nd meal you could add some olive oil or olives or nuts or avocado or mayo to your salad instead of just lemon. You are probably fine on the 3rd meal especially if you made the suggested modifications to the first two. 

Thanks.  I'm full after 2 large eggs and struggle to eat the veggies, im not a breakfasty person so this is one meal I have to make myself eat.  Unfortunately (and I'm called weird for it lol) I hate olives and mayo or any other dressings.  I only use lemon juice on salads.  Olive oil is a possibility but i can only use minute amount so as not to taste it.  As I had a class at lunchtime I ate a handful of nuts before that and had M2 after class.  Still feeling pleasantly full 3.5 hrs later.  I am buying lean meat but I can't afford or justify the extra expense of organic/grass fed so will endeavour to add more compliant fats to cooking to allow for this.  Thanks for the feedback :)

All valid things. We do encourage everyone to try and eat up to the minimum of the template. This is hard for some people at first but as your body heals and adjusts often gets easier. What I often suggest is making the minimum template sized meal and eating as much of it as you can stomach and saving the rest for a mini meal. Have you had homemade mayo before? Many people who don't like mayo like it when they make it themselves. I use extra light tasting olive oil to make mine and it is amazing. I don't think it has an olive oil taste at all. Nuts are a fine fat choice but should be used in moderation as they can cause stomach problems for some. Continue exploring other fat options as your budget and tastes allow. Many people find that their palettes change as they continue to eat this way.

Where did the weekend go!!!! Today is day 6.

So Friday went to plan as reported above, sugar dragon (cravings) kicked off but i ignored.

Saturday (day 4):

B: Omlette - cooked in coconut oil, 2 lge eggs, 3 slices bacon, spring onions and peppers.  I ate it didnt enjoy it so will have to fine other options

L: 2 large chicken thighs and a banana

D: Qtr chicken with Swede&carrot mashed with ghee and black pepper, also brussel sprouts

W: 2ltrs

E: zumba step class 3/4hour - new class to teach and was hard work, felt dreadful afterwards think it might be the no sugar kicking in as my body prob got used to having it for energy!!!

W: 1.5-2 ltrs

Sunday (day 5):

B: Fried egg, 3 thick slices bacon, mushrooms sauteed in ghee and tin plum tomatoes

S: Apple and almonds (whilst out hiking)

Mini-meal: chicken drumstick, small banana and orange (after hike)

D: beef bolognaise with courgette and carrot zoodles (i confess to eating a few cheese shavings, did it without thinking, i didnt have on my dinner was for my friends serving, minimal amount and I'm not losing sleep over it)

E: 12 mile hike, really hilly and still quite muddy but lovely to be out in sunshine

W: 3 ltrs

Today:

Breakfast 1 xHB egg and 2 large carrots (couldnt force the 2nd egg down today)

Lunch: huge green salad with toms, peppers and large chicken breast, tiny drizzle of olive oil.  orange for pudd

Dinner: beef bolognaise and zoodles (leftovers)

Exercise: teaching 1 hr zumba class

W: 2-2.5ltrs

Breakfast and lunch today are low on fat.  Will add bacon to salad next time, should cook some up to keep in fridge ready to add! Breakfasts  would be fine if i had time to cook of a morning, but I wouldnt eat so early.  need to find something i can eat cold or that will heat up at work easily.  HB eggs are going to get boring soon otherwise!!!

I would advice you to find a protein that you can eat a whole palm of in the morning whatever that is for you. Remember you don't have to eat eggs for your first meal. What about chicken or tuna salad? Also with the amount you are working out you probably should have a post workout mini meal of lean protein and starchy vegetable. 

Thanks Physibeth :)

Yes am thinking I will cook up some chicken to have for breakfasts, prob with carrot and pepper sticks as I have been enjoying those of a morning.  I teach 5-6 classes a week and try to fit in occassional lunhctime walk and some walking or going to classes (instead of teaching) on a saturday.  Its not really a lot.  If I eat before classes I feel like I'll be sick or can feel really lethargic so I'll make sure I have a bigger lunch (for evening classes) or breakfast (for lunchtime classes) to carry me through.  Last night i did have a chicken thigh when I got in as was getting peckish but had an hour before class for it to settle.  I did a whole30 last year and found I was struggling with 3 meals and often just had two good meals.  Real food is more filling than fake food and lasts longer.  Not eating sugar means i'm not craving more and getting fake hunger pangs.  need to think more M1,2 and 3 than breakfast lunch and dinner. 

Okay so day 7 - Have got over lethargy of weekend, last nights class I felt reallyon form and enjoyed it.  Evenings I have felt the need to go hunting for nibbles but that is because i'd got in the bad habit plus the sugar dragon is still stalking me.

M1:  Chicken & crispy bacon bits with large green salad and vine tomatoes and an orange

M2: 2 chicken drumsticks and 2 chicken thighs, 3 large carrots  and an orange

M3: beef bolognaise with zoodles

E:  45 mins zumba class lunchtime and 45 mins zumba step class evening

W: aim for 3 ltrs

I totally get the not eating too much before teaching. I always find it interesting that it has a greater effect on me when I'm teaching than when I'm participating. I know for me that the more food I can get in the morning the better I do the rest of the day so if all your classes are afternoon and evening than really focus on getting a big bang for your buck on meal 1. Today's plan looks awesome sauce! 

So Day 8!!!! i'm so proud i got this far especially as yesterday turned really stressful.  one of my cats still wasnt home yesterday morning when i left for work and I was beginning to think the worst.She finally turned up this morning at 7.15 for breakfast acting like nothing was the matter!!! i was so upset last night i wasnt hungry.  made myself eat a few sweet potato chips as i'd taught a class but it was forcefeeding. 

So today's plan:

M1: chicken and sweet potato

M2: cold sausage and carrot sticks and an orange

M3: steak, salad sauteed mushrooms and sweet potato chips (being cooked for me :) )

Day 9!! and we have a mountain (literally) of cakes in the work kitchen as someone is leaving.  Here they really do think you are rude if you dont partake.  will take an apple along and hide at the back and hope for the best!!!

M1: slices of cooked ham, carrots, banana

M2: slices of cooked ham, carrots, sweet potato chips

M3: beef bolognaise with zoodles

Exercise: 1 hour zumba to teach this evening

Tonight I need to cook up some salmon or some chicken when i get in for tomorrows M1 and M2

Feeling pretty good today despite not having had much sleep the last few nights.  Roll on sleep improvements and tiger blood :)

Don't give in to peer pressure on that cake. If someone calls you rude for not having cake remind them that what you choose to eat has nothing to do with manners. I mean if you had a severe gluten allergy and could die from eating that cake would they still find you rude? It has always baffled my mind how strongly people feel about other people's food choices in our society. 

Hope you find some good sleep soon. I know it isn't really negotiable when you are teaching but I try and value sleep over my personal workouts and not push myself if I'm not getting at least 6 hours of sleep. Maybe you can "accidentally" nap through the cake party. ;)

LOL napping would have been good, luckily i had a meeting and managed to avoid major cake pushing fom the dealers in sugar :D

Later i was in the kitchen and not really even feeling tempted as i salivated over my ham and bag of carrot sticks from the fridge.  My friend who intro'd me to ISWF et al was in the kitchen considering the gluten free options for a treat, this one tiny bite sized cake had 15g of sugar!!! so she had a handful of my carrots in stead.  the only other cake muncher about was like you two are mad why would you eat carrots when there is all this cake????? we both said carrots were yummy and sweet too :D

and today is day 10!!! double figures and nearly a third of the way through 30 days, although I'm hoping to make it through lent (have a holiday with young nephews and my parents in early april and it will be very hard to be compliant as will be a lot of eating out.  will face that bridge when i get to it but will begin to ponder ideas for getting by without going hugely off track.

M1: sausages cold, sweet potatoes chips and lots of carrot sticks.

M2: chicken breast, ham, more carrots, apple

M3: chicken breast with sauteed tomoatoes, peppers mushrooms and onions

Exercise: 3/4 hr zumba class to teach at lunchtime

You go girl! Dealers in sugar indeed! My new way of dealing with food pushers is the 3rd time they ignore my no I ask them why they are bullying me. I've gladly not actually had to do this yet, but it is in my back pocket if I ever need it. :)

The carrots are sweet too comment made me think of this article: http://whole9life.com/2010/04/crazytown2/ Not that I think you are on the carrot crazy train (far from) but because I think the article is funny and carrots being sweet made me think of it. 

Day 12 today.  yesterday was hard, still trying to get into new saturday routine wih the new class, and a visit to the vets for the cats boosters didnt help that, although could be considered a weight lifting exercise :) food wasnt well planned and was a bit hit and miss.

M1; tin tuna with olive oil drizzled  over it

E: 3/4 hr zumba step class

After workout: banana

M2: baked chicken thighs and drumsticks dotted with ghee.

Didnt sleep well again Friday night and so wasnt hungry during the day in the evening i jut wanted greasy food, and the chicken worked.  i did get a bottle of wine from cupboard to warm to room temp but managed to not open it in the end.  was very tempted tho. Took a tablet to help me sleep and feel a lot better for it today.  lack of sleep is a killer but is a  long time problem.  i didnt really improve last W30 so i'm not hoping for any miracles, however my body does seem to have dealt more efficiently with the drug and hasnt left ahungover/lethargic feeling (it isnt meant to but usually does) Feeling more positive

Today will be having a cook fest for the next few days food.  Have a huge chicken roasting and willl cook carcass down for stock after. also have sausage to cook to have cold for breakfasts and carrots and peppers to cut up for easy veggies, need to study and do some spring cleaning, so will prob listen to my chapters whilst i sort the dining room .... sounds like a plan !! :D

M1: leftover chicken pieces

M2: roast chicken with ham and salad

M3: salmon and veggies maybe????

Glad you're feeling more positive and chose to put the wine away before drinking it - you can stay the course!  Sounds like you have a good plan going forward.

I wonder if you're eating enough?  Your meals, while compliant, look small to me.  I know from reading your earlier posts that veggies are a challenge for you in the morning, but I'm not seeing them at all yesterday in any meals. It's so important from a nutritional perspective to get them in.  Can you experiment with different veggies that will work for you, and get at least a cup's worth in at each meal?

Also, is your ham compliant?  I realize you're in the UK; in the US, it's tricky to find compliant ham with no gluten, sugar, carrageenan or other nasties.

PostWO is protein and carb, no fruit. So, have the banana with or immediately after your main meals, and have a protein and veggie carb instead. 

Thanks for your message GFChris.  My portion sizes are def not small, I did get a bit veggied out over the week and didnt get very far with them at the weekend.  I am trying to eat veggies instead of fruit because of the sugar dragons.  I got the ham from the deli counter and it was a non-glazed one and wasnt meant to have any additives.  I'll freeze it till after the 30 days to be on the safe side.

Today I am surprised to still be on track at lunchtime!!  insomnia is no better with eating well/clean but last night i couldnt get to sleep at all even though i was physically exhausted from cleaning and moving furniture and taking stuff to the rubbish tip :(  my usual go to after such a bad nights sleep is sugar/chocolate / sugar laced coffee or caffeine filled soda's. I am so tired I feel woozy  I ate my lunch and am too full for chocolate etc but still feel totally wiped .... meh!!!

Today's plan

M1: whole chicken leg and large portion of carrots

M2: chicken with huge green salad and peppers

M3: salmon and mixed frozen veggies

E: 1 hr zumba class

Well I survived the day on no sleep.  Hit my Tulsi tea (holy basil herbal tea) and the relaxation techniques and did get some sleep last night although lots of weird and disturbing dreams, it would be nice if my brain would switch off properly at least occassionally!!!

today's plan:

M1: whole chicken leg and large portion of carrots

M2: chicken with huge green salad and peppers

M3: salmon and mixed frozen veggies

E: 3/4 hr zumba class / 3/4 hr zumba step class

Archived