So I understand the general meal template (sizes of meal, protein,etc.). My problem happens when the meal is all together. I.e. on Saturday I made "lasagna" basically ground turkey with lots of veggies and homemade tomoato sauce with layers of eggplant, zucchini and sweet potato seperating the meat/veggie layer. Then yesterday I made "chili". Now my question is once it's all mixed together it's really hard to measure out a palm sized piece of meat, 3 cups of veggies, etc. How do I best judge how much to take. Generally I can stop when I'm full but when I have to pack lunch the next day its hard to judge just how much to take. Can I weigh it? Measure by the cup? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any advice!

I do this two different ways, one is to think about the total amount of meat in the dish. I know a "palm-size" is roughly 1/3lb of meat for me, so if I use a pound of meat in a dish I expect to get roughly three servings out of it. I also have containers that I use to pack my lunch, and over time I have learned which ones are the right size to fill for the type of food I am packing if that makes any sense at all  :).

One thing to watch out for: I've noticed lots of recipes do not have the right ratio of 'meat to other stuff' for me eating whole30-style, so keep an eye out for that. Sometimes I simply up the meat or reduce the "other stuff"in the recipe to get that ratio right, sometimes I keep the recipe as is, but plan to have some additional protein on the side. Otherwise, I might get full from a high volume of starchy veggies in the dish but find myself hungry later because the protein serving was too small.

Archived