Freezing cabbage?

**Ann**

when we got our grocery order, the store accidentally gave us two heads of cabbage instead of 1 cabbage and 1 lettuce.  My husband didn't recognize the difference when he put the groceries away, and I didn't notice it until the next day, so a little late to make the exchange since my husband also tossed the receipt.

We would never, ever, go through 2 heads of cabbage in a week.  I would like to freeze the other one, I'm thinking of shredding it and freezing it.  Anyone successfully do this?

I haven't done that, but.... I think cabbage stays good for a while in the fridge (uncooked). I bought some, I'm wanting to say a week or two prior, and thought, oh man I didn't cook that yet, I'm sure it's bad. It was fine! I just peeled off the outer edges. :) hope this helps.

ok, maybe I will just wait it out.  I don't buy cabbage often, only when I plan on making coleslaw, so its not something i typically will have laying around for more than a week because I bought with a recipe in mind.

I agree that cabbage can be kept successfully a really long time without going bad.  I've frozen it after cooking, never before - texture changes a bit, becomes softer, but not bad.

There are some great cabbage recipes out there, just sautéed with onion is a good side dish with any meat.  And many great salads beyond coleslaw.  

Archived