Should I start over?

I met some girlfriends at panera and I had asked for no dressing (among other things like cheese) on my salad because I had come prepared with my own! Unfortunately when I got my salad there was dressing on it and I felt bad asking them to fix it because they were busy and I didn't want to make my friends wait so I ate it as is. There was chicken, tomatoes, a hard boiled eggs and avocado so everything else was good but I'm sure the dressing has sugar at the very least. Is this a reason to start over? I'm on day 8.

I am not a moderator but I don't think this is cause for a restart, although hopefully you can avoid this in the future. I avoid restaurants and other peoples cooking during my whole30. Although people try to cook you compliant food they don't understand the rules and sometimes put non compliant things in your meal without realizing it. Such as flour to thicken the sauce, red wine, honey, milk, butter, cheese. Keep going you can do it!

Your question reminded me of words in the program info that say that you can always say no.  Putting yourself first and holding your commitment to the challenge equal to or above others is a big step.  http://whole30.com/step-two

P.S.  I can't find the nutrition info on the Panera site, but it has been posted here before.  I seem to remember more ingredients (like the eggs and chicken, maybe) having off-plan ingredients, than not.  Eating out is possible, but it takes some effort and creativity.  That could even mean only having a cup of coffee (careful for the teas at Panera) and eating before or after.

To get the ingredients from Panera build your meal here: http://paneranutrition.com/ and when you add to meal and view you will see a link under the item for the ingredients. I checked a salad dressing (white balsamic apple) and it had soybean oil as its primary ingredient. Soy tends to constitute a restart where sugar doesn't as soy tends to be a common gut irritant. I would check your meal against the website and at the very least wait the additional 8 days before testing any of the off plan ingredients. 

Always remember that as the customer you have the right to get what you ordered even when it is busy. Just be polite about it. 

We, meaning my family, can't eat salads at Panara at all because of MSG ingredients.  Be careful of hidden ingredients, just because something doesn't say Monosodium Glutamate does not mean it's not in there.  So I would avoid Panera all together... just sayin'

Archived