Sabotage!

It's really my own fault. I was 14 days in yesterday, and I ate something at work that could have derailed my Whole30.

I work in a gourmet resort restaurant that does a buffet on the weekends. Eating off the buffet at the end of the lunch shift is one of the benefits and I can usually find something to eat, normally meat and salad. Yesterday, however, the chef put breadcrumbs or cheese on almost everything. We did have salmon (although it was on dumplings), prime rib, lamb and Brussels sprouts so that's what I ate. I was working an extended shift so didn't have the opportunity to eat anything else. I started feeling bad about 30 minutes after I ate and I thought it was the salmon since I tried to only eat the top part and leave the part that was touching the dumplings, but I could have still ingested a slight amount of dumpling residue. Nope, I found out today that he cooked the lamb in beer and didn't tell me. Which really pisses me off because I stuck to the plan at a Mexican restaurant the night before (and I do love Margaritas and chips).

So, I know technically this means I have to start over. However, I've been Gluten free for six months (I already know I have an intolerance) and I know gluten/grain was the only thing that got into my belly. My husband might kill me if I extend whole30 another two weeks! Kidding kind of, but not really.

My gut feeling is to continue for two more weeks because I haven't broken my whole30 with anything I have eaten within the last month, and then doing another whole30 after the resort closes for summer on Easter Sunday. What would you do if you were in my position?

Yikes, sorry to hear this happened to you. It's really tricky to stay compliant on a Whole30 with a buffet.

You're right, in that ingesting gluten technically calls for a restart. 

If adding 30 days from yesterday isn't possible for you, I would continue eating 100% Whole30 for as many days as you can, to get as close to 30 consecutive  Whole30 days as possible (it's not like you're going to reintroduce gluten at any point).

• Moderators

Since you already know you have a problem with gluten, you could keep going and then do reintroductions of other foods to make judgements about other foods that might be troubling for you. That would allow you to complete your experiment of one neatly enough. What you would miss if you just keep going without a restart is knowing how you feel with 30 days in a row of eating only foods that make you more healthy. That is an amazing part of the Whole30 - realizing how good it is possible to feel. 

Thank you! I know I can extend my whole30 as long as I need to but my husband thinks I'm no longer any fun. LOL it was bad enough being gluten free! I'll finish out these 30 days and then maybe more. I already feel so good so I don't really have much I'm looking to reintroduce, so maybe I can postpone reintros a little :)

Archived