50,000 IU Vitamin D

CRCBN

I just got a call from my gynecologist. I had a bone density scan three weeks ago and it indicated that I had osteopenia so my GYN wanted me to have blood work done to check for my Vitamin D levels (also my cholesterol-but that's a different story :( ) Anyway, she said that my Vit D level was 20 so she wants me to take a prescription Vitamin D 50,000 IU once a week for 8 weeks then they will check it again.  Yikes!  She said it sounds like a high dose but is safe.  I told her to go ahead and call in the prescription but I am seriously wondering if this is a good idea.

Has anyone else here taken that high of a dose of Vit D? Do you think it's safe or necessary?

Thanks!

I just got a call from my gynecologist. I had a bone density scan three weeks ago and it indicated that I had osteopenia so my GYN wanted me to have blood work done to check for my Vitamin D levels (also my cholesterol-but that's a different story :( ) Anyway, she said that my Vit D level was 20 so she wants me to take a prescription Vitamin D 50,000 IU once a week for 8 weeks then they will check it again.  Yikes!  She said it sounds like a high dose but is safe.  I told her to go ahead and call in the prescription but I am seriously wondering if this is a good idea.

Has anyone else here taken that high of a dose of Vit D? Do you think it's safe or necessary?

Thanks!

I am not an expert but I did have low Vit D also. I take 1,000 IU per day. According to Earl Mindell's Vitamin Bible, "a dosage of 25,000 IU daily for an extended period of time can produce toxic effects in adults." I am not sure if 8 weeks would be considered an extended period of time. "Vitamin D promotes absorption of calcium, a large excess of stored vitamin D can cause too much calcium in the blood." I think you have good reason to question this. Is there another doctor you can talk to? I would love to know what happens and how you feel if you decide to take this recommendation.

Tina, since the prescription says to take this once a week, and my searching today on the internet leads me to believe that the dose is probably safe; I'm going to go ahead and take the suppliment and just monitor any reactions for now.  I have an appointment with my family doctor in two weeks to discuss my cholesterol numbers (which I'm dreading) so I plan to ask her what she thinks about the Vitamin D when I see her.

Warning - Whiny Spoiled BabyRant: I freaking hate going to the doctor! Here I was feeling strong and healthy for the first time in a really long time and some stupid numbers from some stupid tests are making me feel like some sort of invalid :(

Tina, since the prescription says to take this once a week, and my searching today on the internet leads me to believe that the dose is probably safe; I'm going to go ahead and take the suppliment and just monitor any reactions for now.  I have an appointment with my family doctor in two weeks to discuss my cholesterol numbers (which I'm dreading) so I plan to ask her what she thinks about the Vitamin D when I see her.

Warning - Whiny Spoiled BabyRant: I freaking hate going to the doctor! Here I was feeling strong and healthy for the first time in a really long time and some stupid numbers from some stupid tests are making me feel like some sort of invalid :(

I feel your pain about doctors. I love it when you go to them with an issue and they look at you like you are crazy. I like my natural path for my nutrition advise and my regular doctor for the regular stuff. I think once a week for that dose of vitamin D is much better. I thought you were taking this every day. Good Luck!

I work in a pharmacy and I have seen this kind of dosage before. Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin, so your body stores what it doesn't use immediately in your fat cells and pulls it out when it needs more. I take 5,000 IU a day in the winter when I'm not getting any sunlight and 1-2 thousand IU in the summer. Your dosage would come out to something a little over 7,100 per day, so not excessive.

I was Vitamin D3 deficient a couple of years ago and prescribed the same.  I'm currently on 5,000IU daily. I started out with 2,000IU then increased it from there to 5,000IU daily just this year. I also take Calcium Citrate daily. There's just not enough sun, milk or OJ you can take in to make up for what you're lacking right now. You'll actually notice a difference in your energy level soon too. Best of luck!

Archived