Well, this is me on whole 30

meon30

Good evening, end of day 2 on the whole 30 challenge.

I've started yesterday: saw the site, read the manual and decided that no wait is needed - let's do it!

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, have been so since always - just don't like meat. my regular diet includes lots of fruits, veggies, yogurt, cheese, legumes and my own home-made rye bread. By all means, considered a healthy eater, with great health.

Day 1 was easy: after a morning work-out (1,5 hours interval training, cycling) had a breakfast of a grapefruit, 4 eggs omelet with parsley and some strawberries for dessert.

it kept me happy and full until the evening. for supper I've had a salmon (yes, fish will be added to my meals, but don't count on any other sort of meat) and carrots, baked in the oven.

Day 2 started with more cycling (1:40 hours with interval training) and the funny thing was that I was not hungry at the end. at all.

had some strawberries post work-out (could not eat more).

Lunch was challenging: had a business meeting at a restaurant. after a thorough study of the menu, had a green salad, a hard boiled egg  and 65 grams of seared tuna, with no need for anything more.

with a slight headache in the afternoon, had some nuts as a snack then a big salad for supper with another green omelet (lots of parsley).

Tomorrow will be a challenge of a whole day out, so I've prepared hard boiled eggs and veggies, as well as more nuts (pecan, almonds & macadamia)

Good night

:)

A.

Good evening, end of day 2 on the whole 30 challenge.

I've started yesterday: saw the site, read the manual and decided that no wait is needed - let's do it!

I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian, have been so since always - just don't like meat. my regular diet includes lots of fruits, veggies, yogurt, cheese, legumes and my own home-made rye bread. By all means, considered a healthy eater, with great health.

Day 1 was easy: after a morning work-out (1/5 hours interval training, cycling) had a breakfast of a grapefruit, 4 eggs omelet with parsley and some strawberries for dessert.

it kept me happy and full until the evening. for supper I've had a salmon (yes, fish will be added to my meals, but don't count on any other sort of meat) and carrots, baked in the oven.

Day 2 started with more cycling (1:40 hours with interval training) and the funny thing was that I was not hungry at the end. at all.

had some strawberries post work-out (could not eat more).

Lunch was challenging: had a business meeting at a restaurant. after a thorough study of the menu, had a green salad, a hard boiled egg  and 65 grams of seared tuna, with no need for anything more.

with a slight headache in the afternoon, had some nuts as a snack then a big salad for supper with another green omelet (lots of parsley).

Tomorrow will be a challenge of a whole day out, so I've prepared hard boiled eggs and veggies, as well as more nuts (pecan, almonds & macadamia)

Good night

A.

Congratulations! Are you following the meal template? Your meals don't look like they have enough veggies or fats. Maybe you just didn't want to write a novel. Here is the link if you need it. You can do it! http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

Thank you, Tina!

Yes, I do eat my veggies.

I actually think that I'm eating too many of them, with a huge bowl of salad at least once a day and greens on every meal.

Today's challenge was great - survived a day out on a conference: brought my hard-boiled eggs and greens with me (cucumbers, snow-peas (raw), peppers) and faced all the junk food (cookies, danishes, sandwiches) without even blinking.

had another bowl of salad for late lunch and some nuts, now preparing a piece of salmon and squash.

The guide said that it may be a rough day - it was not!

(perhaps because my earlier diet did not include lots of junk to begin with.)

2 main advantages so far:

1 - not feeling hungry or craving

2 - no flatulence. at all. not even a small one!

hoping that the next days will not bring anger

A

Day 4!
the guide (http://whole30.com/2013/08/revised-timeline/) promised anger - but it seems as if I've skipped 2 days, because it was a very easy day - perhaps a bit tired, but this may be due to a late night.

After a morning ride, had some fruit (apple and persimmon) and a green omelet for breakfast.

that kept me happy until the afternoon, when I ate an orange, 2 cucumbers and a fist of nuts.

for supper - a big bowl of green salad with olive oil and another green omelet in coconut oil.

should try an early sleep tonight - tomorrow is a busy day! 

a new day, a new challenge - welcome to day 5!

the challenge: MTB cycling race.

pre workout - 3 macadamia nuts.

had a warm-up pre-race and knew (also from reading other posts) that I should not expect topping my level. as the race started, felt heavy, ledded legs and a bit of dizziness. 

I've finished the race first in my category (yeah for me) but much slower than would normally do. and it felt much harder, with muscles nearly cramping.

post workout - 4 hard boiled eggs, 2 cucumbers, a carrot and a red pepper. and I had to force it dow, as I was not hungry at all.

got back home, had a nap for 1 hour, ate some fruits (kiwi & tangerine) and will have salmon, cauliflower, broccoli and a green salad for dinner.

There is another race tomorrow - gonna prepare more hard boiled eggs..

On the Post WO, the recommendation is lean protein and carb, no fat. It's not about feeding hunger, it's about refueling your muscles and helping your body recover. So in the future, instead of hard boiled eggs, you might try egg whites (lose the yolks because of their fat) or another lean protein like chicken with carrots as your carb.

Check out this thread on what to eat during long runs in the Whole30 for athletes section.  I'm thinking this would also be applicable to cycling? Lots of ideas http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/12995-what-to-eat-during-long-runs-need-replacements-for-gels-and-gummies/

Thanks, Chris

I've read this thread and am used to taking dates. yet, it seemed to my like "cheating" on the whole 30 concept.

I want to see if my body adapts to no-carb racing, get over the heavy feeling and dizziness.

will just give it more time.

Day 6 - it's all about winning!

another mountain bike race today!
woke up feeling better. had few macadamia nuts pre-race and took 3 dates with me on the race.

still feeling slow & heavy, not as strong as used to.

HOWEVER - have decided to eat the dates only in case of emergency (meaning - not to touch them at all).

even though they may be "whole30 approved" food, if my goal is to teach my body to use fat as an energy source, then no other choice shall be given.

"stop being weak and start burning fat!" I told my body. "Why the hell do I carry all this supply of available energy, if you don't use it?"

at the end of the race, the dates remained un-touched. hooray!

post race meal was a carrot, cucumber, some snow-peas and 2 egg whites. later had 4 tangerines and soon will make supper - spinach with eggs and a green salad.

all in all, not such a bad day, but I need the "tiger blood" for next week, as a bigger race is coming. 

total hunger level today: slightly noticed, a bit higher than yesterday, but much much lower than I'm used to, especially after 2 races.

Day 9 of the whole 30 -

I thought that I've managed to skip the "nasty" part, but I've met it today. other than that, strength seems to return to me but the tightness in clothing is also here.

interesting.. 

Had a morning right-out-of-bed breakfast of a green omelet and strawberries and went to work.

took some food with me, but had no appetite.

then had some macadamia before a great interval training in the early afternoon.

got back and had greens with egg white (boiled), then felt hungry as if a hole was dug in my stomach, so I ate another 2 hard boiled eggs and a fist of nuts (almond & hazelnuts) and a grapefruit for dessert.

when it was time for supper, had hardly any appetite. prepared a big salad, drowned it in Tahinni sauce and added some olives. it took me a lot of effort to finish it all, and I could not eat anything else.

one more thing: my skin feels better - much smoother and not as dry as it was before!

Great!

Day 10 

- one third of the journey, passed as cool as a breeze.

going into the supermarket to buy more butter (for making a new batch of ghee) - no problem.

nothing looks tempting. not the candies, not the dairy products, not the baked goods - not even the gums next to the cashier.

just walking in, getting butter and out. what's the big deal?

today felt like a blessed, sustainable routine:

a grapefruit to start the day, followed with a green omelet (spinach, parsley, coriander and red peppers with 4 eggs) and a cucumber.

lunch - another omelet, this time with pumpkin and squash, and a handful of nuts.

supper - baked salmon with garlic, squash, carrots and pumpkin, covered in coconut oil.

no snacks at all in between, just a happy feeling of eating well and not feeling hungry.

my muscles are a bit sore today from yesterdays workout - feels like recovery is slower on this diet. didn't cycle today - only core exercises in the morning.

read some encouraging reports of endurance cyclists on low carb and it gave me extra motivation: let's see what will happen on Saturday at the marathon

Hi littleg

Sorry for the confusion

I'm racing mountain bike - yet some of the races are called "marathons" - it means longer races with less technical sections

Day 11 -

I'm getting used to being on the whole30 - it seems so natural and cool

even when supper was 3 spoons of ghee and half a lettuce..

Had a long day at work with lots of walking around - general feeling is good, hoping my legs will feel good tomorrow.

Day 12  ^_^

early rise to get to the race - had 2 hard boiled eggs 1.5 hours pre-race.

I'm still a bit heavier than usual, not yet able to kick ass the way I normally would and my time was slower than usual.

therefore I'll rate the race as B-

However, speaking of the whole30 perspective, it should be an A+ race: felt better  & stronger than last week.

after 2.5 hours (warm-up, race, cool down) had a small beet, 2 hard-boiled egg whites and one red pepper.

snacked later with 2 kiwis and some strawberries then had lunch based on eggs in tomato-onion-garlic-red pepper sauce and some lettuce.

not scared any more from no-jell races!

(will see tomorrow if this will hold for a longer race..)

The time line promises this:

"Fact: you are most likely to quit your Whole30 program on Day 10 or 11. By this point, the newness of the program has worn off. You've made it through most of the unpleasant physical milestones, but you've yet to experience any of the “magic†the program promises. You're still struggling to establish your new routine (read: you've eaten eggs prepared ten different ways over the last ten days), and while you've been trying really hard to have a good attitude, today you are incredibly aware of all the foods you're “choosing not to eat right now.† Everywhere you look, you see the things you “can't†have: the melted cheese on a greasy burger, the creaminess of that double-scoop cone, the cold beer in your best friend's tailgate cooler. Dammit, this is hard! And right now you're wondering if the results will really be as good as “they†all say it is.

You're cranky, you're impatient, and you're really, really tempted to just eat the stupid cheese. strawberries!"

had a nap, and as I woke up, wanted to enjoy fruits. lots of them. strawberries, grapefruit, kiwi, tangerine - all are piled in the kitchen, all are my "post race treat".

read the timeline and it gave me the strength needed. Thanks!

OK

that was a rough day.

very rough.

my muscles were still sore from yesterday and did not have enough time for a decent pre-race warm up.

I started strong - not as strong as a month ago, yet much stronger than last week and better than yesterday.

thought to myself - well, ,if this is a prelude to the boundless energy to come - way to go!

But then my muscles cramped, and I did not go into the second round.

my legs are sore, my spirit is low

race wise - today was a failure.

Whole30 wise - today was hard but perhaps important step. I've read somewhere that the muscles are cramping because they're used to get easy sugars.

I gave them none. had a bag with 3 dates, but ate none, as right now the whole30 and getting one step closer to my goal of teaching my body to use fat as an energy source is more important than winning this race.

in my mind, I've sacrificed one race, to win many many others.

oh, almost forgot - had a sweet tooth dream

^_^

cannot remember what it was, but in the dream I've had a feeling of "oh no, I've spoiled my whole30"!
glad to wake up and realize that it's all a dream  :rolleyes:

Sorry today was so tough.

On another note, it sounds like you're keeping your eyes on the bigger prize, which is an empowering perspective. FWIW, I bet if you did this race a month from now, when your body has become more fat-adapted, you'd experience a much more positive result.

Hang in there!

DAY 15 - middle of the road ?

here are my thoughts on day 15:

who sees better results from the whole30 experience - one that was way off track (eating junk, carbs etc.) or one that was "slightly off" - eating lots of good, real food, with some addition of bread/chocolate/fruit ?

it seems to me that the body will notice the first option and will react to it with a stronger response, yet perhaps being on a better diet beforehand may lead the body to easier transport.

on that note, my muscles are still a bit sore this morning, after a rest day yesterday.

my appetite seems to decrease (or perhaps it's the lack of activity) so my supper yesterday was a bowl of salad - with olives and olive oil, of course.

today also decreased the food amount - can not eat that much. Fritata for breakfast, a carrot, a cucumber, 3 HB eggs, pecans and 3 tangerine for lunch and I'm feeling full.

where is my tiger blood?

where is it?

give me the tiger!

Day 16

have I got the tiger blood?

can't tell. 

instead of jumping on my bike, I'm stuck in a whole day meeting at the office.  <_<

tried to get up early to cycle before breakfast, but was too tired and slept instead.

and here I am, at the office, slide is chasing slide.

On the table is the typical meeting food: cakes, cookies and (after lunch) - chocolate treats.

I'm sitting here, seeing people shove one empty pastry after another, thinking to myself - "this is not food"!

we've had lunch - took a piece of salmon and vegetable salad with tahinni sauce and some olives, while the others heaped rice / noodles on their plates, next to a processed meat slice.

no wonder they needed a piece of candy right after lunch, while I was happy and content.

I may not yet feel the benefits of the program, but already know what my body does not need in order to be happy

Tiger blood - real or a myth??

perhaps it's the busy week at work

perhaps my timing is delayed

or perhaps the tiger blood is not suppose to jump on me, rather creep slowly & settle within.

Day 17 - woke up tired (after 8 hours of sleep) for the 2nd day in a row.

after a busy morning, got the time for a workout in the afternoon.

my legs are still slightly sore (a very long recovery - or maybe the fault lays on yesterdays interval training)

felt good, but it was "better than the weekend good", not "better than usual" good.

starting to consider the option of going a whole40, as it seems like my body ticks in a slower pace.

it may also be because of my racing, maybe not providing enough easy time in the beginning was too stressful and my body reacted in a defensive way. 

whatever the reason may be, taking longer time does not scare me, I can wait 10 more days before eating my beloved yogurt again

:wub:

now let's go and boil some eggs for tomorrow - it's going to be another long day on the road

Day 19!

I'm glad that I write this log, otherwise I'd have no clue as to which day of the whole-as-many-days-as-it-would-take challenge it is.

every day is easier, more fun and even slightly stronger during cycling.

also - I feel much more focused, with better coordination, stability and balance.

cannot affirm that we're talking "tiger blood" yet, but I can sense the difference. we'll get there, body, we'll get there!

in the last 2 days, I'm settling back into my daily pre-whole30 routine, in which breakfast is the largest meal of the day.

Hence, for breakfast will have a fruit, 4-5 eggs leafy green omelet, with a spoon of ghee on top

lunch will be slightly smaller - salad/antipasti with salmon q 3 eggs

then dinner would be a nice salad with 1-2 HB eggs and olives/olive oil/tahinni etc.

this manner allows a better sleep, easier day and a slight feeling of hunger upon waking up.

(found that if I'm still hungry after a meal, a fist of macadamia / pecans / hazelnuts will do the job. that's happening the day after a hard work-out.)

today I've searched the "can I have" forum, to discover that magnesium is OK - why didn't I do it earlier? (facepalm) :blink:

wishing you all a nice weekend

A.

ps - is it possible that I've got taller? certainly feels like that  :D

Day 20 -

suddenly it scares me that I'm already 2/3rd of the way - feels like there's still much to achieve!

therefore, have decided to extend the experience until the end of April, which means a whole45

(and I don't have to check which day it is anymore)

I might be starting to lose weight - or at least circumferences.  since I did not check my weight before starting, all my reference is pants & feeling.

and right now my feelings are "why do I still have candies & chocolate at home? I will never eat them, not even a month from now. might as well give them away"

on another note, watched this today

a good summary to the book I'm currently reading, "Good calories bad calories" by Gary Taubs.

Have a great week!

Did you hear that?
that was day 21, passing me by smoothly and quickly

;)

busy day on the road - no workout today, hence smaller meals.

a later than usual supper - got home late

and that's all for today.

upon day 23, I've got a confession to make:

only few people know about my participation in the whole30 - none of my close friends and none in my family.

Why didn't I tell them?

mainly because this is a private experiment/journey that I'm taking. maybe because I'm cautious about the results, or maybe because in my world, actions speaks louder than words and results are the best argument.

if (and when) I'll get comments, then it will be time to share my trial.

on my 23rd day - half of the way (as I've decided to go for the 45 days mark), it seems as the change is happening: starting to feel more energy, clothes may be slightly looser, strength starts coming back to me.

Had an easy workout today - cycling with friends.

at the end of the ride, we sat down and cookies and sweets came out. not for me, thanks, and somehow we ended up all going for lunch at a nice seafood place, where I took fresh salad in olive oil and a nice grilled fish.

Then I went to the market and got some olives - 3 different kind of them, and tasting them was my dessert.

back home, made a fresh jar of ghee with a twist: added a branch of fresh oregano to the jar. should add nice flavor. (as if ghee is not good enough as it is)

my supper was - yet again and highly welcomed - green omelet (4 eggs, lots of fresh parsley and coriander, fresh garlic) and a hand of nuts.

what a nice day it was!

Archived