Seasonal allergies and sugar reintroduction

wendelina

Hi,

The primary reason I did a Whole30 was at the advice of my acupuncturist, who believes that giving my system a break from all the pro-inflammatory foods before my allergy season (any day now ... whenever the weather in the northeast decides it's finally, actually spring).  Since over-the-counter allergy drugs don't work for me at all (I might as well not be taking them), I've thrown a lot of effort into trying what feels like a last-ditch effort to control my allergies.

Frankly, I've loved my Whole30.  I want to eat like this (most of the time) forever, just add a few things back in as occasional foods to allow me to be social and eat out with friends.  Reintroductions haven't given me any real surprises (gluten makes me slightly nuts, and I knew beforehand that dairy and I have a tenuous relationship at best).

However, my acupuncturist wants me to start adding in 1t - 1T of local honey (possibly with turmeric for extra immune boosting) every day, to start seeding some tolerance to local pollens.  I need to do my sugar reintroduction, but I'm afraid of the possible side effects.

Is this much honey likely to trigger responses, or start up the cravings?  Have other people tried this and had some success?

Just want some other perspectives.  I don't want to derail my Whole30-based progress.

Thanks!

I live down in the south east where the pollen counts are sky high.  I have heard about the 'local honey' treatment to help with seasonal allergies.  I have yet to meet anyone that it has alleviated the symptoms by any significant measure.  Kids love it though and swear it makes them feel better (shocker huh??)  What helped us the most is no wheat, limited dairy and no added sugar....so uh basically going whole 30 with regards to those 'food groups'.  So far my husband and I have not seen any symptoms that require medication.  In year's past, we've taken benedryl, and zyrtec type medicines to help.

Thanks, AllyB.  The trees blooming here totally flip my body out, so, as much as I hate winter, I don't look forward to what comes after.  :/

Zyrtec, Claritin, and Allegra all do nothing for me at this point (most of them worked for a season or two before ceasing to work), and even Benadryl just makes me sleepy / loopy but does little for the sneezing / congestion.

I intend to stay pretty Whole30-clean during the allergy season, with off-roading kept to a minimum, to try to minimize whatever I can.  I just want to hit this with every possible avenue, since I feel like I'm otherwise out of options.  If this doesn't work, my other choice is to basically stay indoors from March - June ... and that sucks.

The other (awesome) option I forgot to mention last post is a nettie pot.  I use one regularly during pollen season.  They work great.  They basically clean/flush out your sinuses.  The trick is to use it before you really get stuffy.  Otherwise, the water can't flow where it should be going.  Be sure to use distilled or boiled (and cooled) water though.

When I mow the lawn in the spring, you can see yellow dust clouds of pine pollen floating around the yard.  It's brutal.  After mowing, I go straight in the house and run a few cups of water and salt through my nose.  The next day, I'm fine.  Prior to the nettie pot, the next day I would wake up with a puffy face and headache from all the pollen stuck in my schnoz.

You can buy them online or at bed bath and beyond.  They are like $10-$20 and worth every penny!

Archived