Whole 30 Friendly Meatloaf

StephannieL

Hi there!

Day 3 of Whole 30 and I'm suddenly wanting some meatloaf. I'm pretty sure that I can't make it the way that I normally do and of course I could tweak it easily (i.e leave out the bread crumbs! LOL) but I didn't know if anyone had any recipes that they liked and would mind sharing?

Thanks!

~Stephannie

Good morning everyone!

Thanks for the input I really appreciate it! 

Sharyn- I see that your recipe has almond flour in it. Can I have almond flour while on Whole 30 or do I just leave it out along with the maple syrup (being in Vermont, that's a tough one! LOL)?

And by the way, I LOVE your plate that your breakfast is on!   :D 

You can have almond flour on the Whole30, as long as you use it for a binder in making something like a meatloaf.  It's not OK to use it to make breads, cookies or other desserty-like treats while on a Whole30.

Hi all!

Just wondering if we're able to use Worcestershire sauce when cooking?

Thanks!

~Stephannie

Always check the ingredients list Stephannie - if sugar is listed then the answer is No! 

If you need a sub for bread crumbs for it to hold together.  I use an egg and then a mixture of cream of tar tar, water and baking soda.

2 tablespoons warm water
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Add that to a pound of meat and it holds it together!  I didn't think it would but it is a great texture.  I tried almond flour once and the texture was on the gross side.

Not a full recipe but I just tweeked my normal recipe to make it Whole 30.  Turned out great!

sjosey77- Thanks! I think I miss the flavor of the Worchetershire sauce even though it's only a Tbs in the whole recipe. I will have to try that though. Not sure if the almond flour really did anything or not. LOL

Does your mixture keep it nice and moist? Maybe that's what I was missing. LOL

It is really moist (I really don't like this word LOL )  I did put some compliant tomato paste in it for taste with onion and peppers.  You could try coconut aminoes for the zest of worchestershire sauce.  I also did make some ketchup from The Clothes Makes the Girl for the top. 

Trust me when I say that almond flour changes the texture and not for the better!

This is, hands down, my favorite meatloaf. I usually serve with balsamic brussel sprouts and sweet potato fries with homemade mayo, and leftovers are fantastic for breakfast with some sweet potato/parsnip hashbrowns.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/vegetable-meatloaf-with-balsamic-glaze-recipe.html

Yes, I modify the recipe...I eliminate the cheese, substitute almond flour for the panko, and I make my own ketchup (but you could substitute tomato sauce if you are not that ambitious). I did my Whole30 in January and have kept these modifications whenever I make this even though I "technically" don't have to.

It also freezes really well, so I use 2 pounds of turkey and make 4 mini loaves (when I'm really ambitious, I make a ginormous batch and freeze most of it).

Hey everyone!

Thanks for all of the replies! They are great! What I love most about recipes is most of the time you can modify them to fit any eating lifestyle.   :D 

I also love that so many people have so many different recipes for the same meal. Definitely gives great options!

Day 9 of Whole 30 and feeling pretty good! Ran 3 miles yesterday and did it faster than I did 2.5 weeks ago! Almost 7 minutes faster!!!! Woo hoo! Go me! LOL

And does anyone know how much it's killing me to stay off the scale? I'm so used to doing Weight Watchers and checking the scale every week! I really want to get on the scale and see what it says! LOL

Archived