on Day 17 and not feeling much better ...

I have stuck to the Whole30 religiously. I'm just not feeling any noticeable improvement in the ways that my Whole30 Daily says I should.  E.G., no more energy, sleep not improved, still having cravings, more headaches than usual, etc.  

I am determined to stick with it, but wonder if it took anyone else more time to really feel better.

Thanks!

Can you tell us what your day looks like in terms of food? The first time I did it, I thought I followed it religiously but realized the second time doing it that I got a few things wrong. 

Also worth noting, that while the timeline works for most individuals, for some people it takes a little bit longer for the effects. 

I have stuck to the Whole30 religiously. I'm just not feeling any noticeable improvement in the ways that my Whole30 Daily says I should.  E.G., no more energy, sleep not improved, still having cravings, more headaches than usual, etc.  

I am determined to stick with it, but wonder if it took anyone else more time to really feel better.

Thanks!

Some of us take longer to heal. It is a whole30 not a whole17, be patient. I know it is not easy especially when you see people posting on facebook that they have lost 12 lbs on day 10, they also shouldn't be on a scale. Some people don't see huge changes until day 25 or more. Have you noticed anything? Is your skin clearer? Are you not snacking in between meals? Is your acid reflux gone? Some of the changes are very subtle. I am on my 3rd whole30 and haven't seen any drastic results. I ate fairly clean before I started so that could be why. Keep going, you can do it. And like Ivorwen stated above, post some of your meals so the moderators can help make changes that could help improve your results. Good Luck!

Thanks for replying. Well, I've cut out all dairy, grains, soy, sugars, legumes, etc. I have been cooking every meal from scratch, using organic, grass fed ghee, or virgin coconut oil, when sautéing or baking.

This morning I ate blueberry banana muffins (made with egg, banana, blueberry) and baked with chopped macadamia nut on top.  Lunch was a salad topped with roast beef and an avocado dressing that I got from the Whole30 daily emails that I received.  Dinner was homemade sushi rolls, with salmon, fresh crab meat, cauliflower rice and coconut aminos.  I also had an RX bar, which is Whole30 approved as a snack after exercising.

I love to cook and was gluten free / dairy free before I started the program, so I'm enjoying finding recipes at Nom Nom Paleo, PaleOMG and other websites. I'm making sure only to use Paleo recipes that are Whole30 compliant.

Tina, I appreciate what you said about this being a whole30 not whole17.  I guess I just wanted to connect with others who may need a bit longer as well.  Some of my friends were having dramatic results within 10 days ...

As far as the scale is concerned, I've hidden it (much to my husband's chagrin). I read a post that put it perfectly, "this program is not about losing weight, it is about good health."

I was just back to feeling normal during my third week - no amazing energy yet. I was never bouncing off the walls, but I did feel really good by the end. Keep at it!

Based on just that one day of meals, you might need to eat more. Salads tend to not fill me up that much.

Thanks for replying. Well, I've cut out all dairy, grains, soy, sugars, legumes, etc. I have been cooking every meal from scratch, using organic, grass fed ghee, or virgin coconut oil, when sautéing or baking.

This morning I ate blueberry banana muffins (made with egg, banana, blueberry) and baked with chopped macadamia nut on top.  Lunch was a salad topped with roast beef and an avocado dressing that I got from the Whole30 daily emails that I received.  Dinner was homemade sushi rolls, with salmon, fresh crab meat, cauliflower rice and coconut aminos.  I also had an RX bar, which is Whole30 approved as a snack after exercising.

I love to cook and was gluten free / dairy free before I started the program, so I'm enjoying finding recipes at Nom Nom Paleo, PaleOMG and other websites. I'm making sure only to use Paleo recipes that are Whole30 compliant.

Tina, I appreciate what you said about this being a whole30 not whole17.  I guess I just wanted to connect with others who may need a bit longer as well.  Some of my friends were having dramatic results within 10 days ...

As far as the scale is concerned, I've hidden it (much to my husband's chagrin). I read a post that put it perfectly, "this program is not about losing weight, it is about good health."

Are you following the meal planning template? You should be eating a palm size portion of protein, or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand, 2 - 3 cups of veggies and 1 - 2 thumb sized portions of fat. Your breakfast didn't have enough veggies and unless you had three eggs in one muffin you probably didn't have enough protein. This could be why you are not seeing the results. I would definitely increase my veggies at every meal. Maybe a moderator will have a different spin on this for you. Good Luck!

Your 2nd and 3rd meal look really good but your 1st meal doesn't meet the template at all and is against the rules. No paleo pastry muffins please. If you want to make egg muffins with veggies and meat or meat muffins that is fine but things that resemble junk food are not ok. It is not something that requires a restart, but I would freeze any muffins you have left to enjoy after your Whole30. This program isn't just about what we eat but about why we eat it as well and what our relationship to foods are.

I believe getting your 1st meal to look like the template will help a lot. In my humble opinion what we eat at meal one really sets the tone for the rest of the day. My favorite meal 1's are scrambled eggs with sauteed kale, fried eggs with raw fermented sauerkraut, and fried eggs with half a roasted acorn squash with coconut butter. Remember that a serving of eggs is as many whole ones as you can hold in an open hand. For me (and I have small hands) that is 3-4. 

No Paleo-ifying baked goods, desserts, or junk foods. Trying to shove your old, unhealthy diet into a shiny new Whole30 mold will ruin your program faster than you can say “Paleo Pop-Tarts.†This means no desserts or junk food made with “approved†ingredients—no banana-egg pancakes, almond-flour muffins, flourless brownies, or coconut milk ice cream. Don't try to replicate junk food during your 30 days! That misses the point of the Whole30 entirely. - See more at: http://whole30.com/whole30-program-rules/#sthash.irP7I05s.dpuf

Are you following the meal planning template? You should be eating a palm size portion of protein, or as many eggs as you can hold in one hand, 2 - 3 cups of veggies and 1 - 2 thumb sized portions of fat. Your breakfast didn't have enough veggies and unless you had three eggs in one muffin you probably didn't have enough protein. This could be why you are not seeing the results. I would definitely increase my veggies at every meal. Maybe a moderator will have a different spin on this for you. Good Luck!

I thought I was, I will go back and double check. I don't always eat veggies at breakfast. And you are right, four eggs are used to make 10 "muffins".  Thank you for your advice.

I was just back to feeling normal during my third week - no amazing energy yet. I was never bouncing off the walls, but I did feel really good by the end. Keep at it!

Based on just that one day of meals, you might need to eat more. Salads tend to not fill me up that much.

Thanks, Jent. I am full after every meal, though I sense I am not getting enough protein from other posters. I appreciate your input.

Your 2nd and 3rd meal look really good but your 1st meal doesn't meet the template at all and is against the rules. No paleo pastry muffins please. If you want to make egg muffins with veggies and meat or meat muffins that is fine but things that resemble junk food are not ok. It is not something that requires a restart, but I would freeze any muffins you have left to enjoy after your Whole30. This program isn't just about what we eat but about why we eat it as well and what our relationship to foods are.

I believe getting your 1st meal to look like the template will help a lot. In my humble opinion what we eat at meal one really sets the tone for the rest of the day. My favorite meal 1's are scrambled eggs with sauteed kale, fried eggs with raw fermented sauerkraut, and fried eggs with half a roasted acorn squash with coconut butter. Remember that a serving of eggs is as many whole ones as you can hold in an open hand. For me (and I have small hands) that is 3-4. 

Thank you for replying Physibeth.  The "muffins" were from a W30 recipe. They contain no grains or sugar. They are made only with eggs, banana, blueberries and crushed macadamia nuts, in a coconut oil coated muffin tin. As I understand it, they are fully compliant. I definitely will return to the template to make sure I am eating a proper breakfast.  I appreciate your input.

Thank you for replying Physibeth.  The "muffins" were from a W30 recipe. They contain no grains or sugar. They are made only with eggs, banana, blueberries and crushed macadamia nuts, in a coconut oil coated muffin tin. As I understand it, they are fully compliant. I definitely will return to the template to make sure I am eating a proper breakfast.  I appreciate your input.

Bethany is correct: no baked muffins on a Whole30, even if they contain compliant ingredients. Unfortunately there are recipes labeled Whole30 out there that are not compliant from either an ingredients or "no Paleo-ifying treats" perspective.

To get the best results for your Whole30, have each meal follow the recommended protein, veg, and fat template.

Archived