Jill's Whole 30 Log

Snelson924

I started Whole30 today!! I NEED to get my eating under control for many reasons. I have hormone imbalances, I'm overweight (240 as of today), my blood sugar is out of whack, I'm tired all the time, and my blood pressure has been jacked up.

This is the first time I've done Whole30. I'm excited about it! I'm new to watching and really paying attention to what I'm eating and will need help along the way!

Here's my Food Log:

4/8/2014

Breakfast - 2 eggs, pineapples and grapes. Water to drink

Lunch - spinach salad with carrots, grapes, cucumbers and apples. Made my own balsamic/oil dressing. Kale chips. Water to drink.

Snack - pineapples and an orange (throughout the afternoon. Not at the same time!)

Dinner - pork loin with apples and balsamic vinegar in my crock pot, roasted carrots, roasted sweet potatoes. Water to drink.

Snack - 2 egg omelet with sautéed chard

• Moderators

Some people get angry when I go over their meals with them, but what I have to say is meant to help. It appears you need to review our meal template and work at following it more closely: http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

Two eggs is not enough protein at breakfast. Unless you are tiny wisp of a woman, you probably need 3 eggs and 4 might not be bad. You didn't eat any veggies at breakfast and you did eat fruit. Eating one or two servings of fruit per day is okay, but not eating veggies is a problem. There is a lot more nutrition in veggies than in fruit.

It looks like you had no protein at lunch. This is a very serious problem. And salads are extremely light. Raw greens offer very little bulk and your dressing did not add enough fat. So, after a light breakfast and a way too light lunch, you were setup to be hungry and to keep your metabolism running slow. No wonder you ate a snack. But with this snack, it appears you have had 6 servings of fruit today. That is way too much fruit.

Supper sounds reasonably well composed, only by including fruit, you've gotten to seven servings for the day. 

I am not surprised you needed a 2 egg omelet snack. Congrats on eating it with chard. This snack would make a good breakfast with more eggs.

No! That's very helpful!!!!! I was t sure how many eggs were too many. And I didn't even realize I didn't have protein with my lunch!!! Tomorrow I am hard boiling a bunch of eggs to have on hand.

What are other good protein sources to work around that you would suggest? I'm not a beef eater. Can't stomach it. Pork and chicken I do. Fish not so much either.

4/9. Today's meals (editing as I go)

Breakfast

4 egg omelet with sautéed chard. Water.

Woke up with a massive headache. Don't know if it's detoxing or the fact that my kids didn't sleep well last night or Atlanta's pollen or a combo of all of the above. All I know is that I'm tired, have a headache, and feel horrible.

Lunch:

Spinach salad with grilled chicken, grapes, carrots and cucumbers with my own balsamic/oil dressing. Pineapples on the side. Water to drink.

Dinner: shredded grilled chicken with avocado (holy moly that was goooooood!), sweet potato with a touch of butter, spinach salad with grapes, cukes, apples, carrots and my balsamic vinaigrette. Water to drink.

A few pineapples dices at 8:45. (Why am I hungry after that dinner?!????)

I have been eating a ground meat and veggies stir fry for my first meal of the day. I am avoiding eggs at the moment. My favorite is ground turkey but you can also have ground chicken. This keeps me satisfied longer than three eggs and veggies.

4/9. Today's meals (editing as I go)

Breakfast

4 egg omelet with sautéed chard. Water.

Woke up with a massive headache. Don't know if it's detoxing or the fact that my kids didn't sleep well last night or Atlanta's pollen or a combo of all of the above. All I know is that I'm tired, have a headache, and feel horrible.

Lunch:

Spinach salad with grilled chicken, grapes, carrots and cucumbers with my own balsamic/oil dressing. Pineapples on the side. Water to drink.

Dinner: shredded grilled chicken with avocado (holy moly that was goooooood!), sweet potato with a touch of butter, spinach salad with grapes, cukes, apples, carrots and my balsamic vinaigrette. Water to drink.

Just checking: when you said you had butter, do you mean clarified butter? Regular butter is not allowed on a Whole30.

I know it feels like a bummer. Better for this to happen on day 2 vs. day 12. Call it a Whole32 if that works better for you. Just get right back on the horse: I'm thinking 30 days from now, these 2 days will seem like a blip.

I know it feels like a bummer. Better for this to happen on day 2 vs. day 12. Call it a Whole32 if that works better for you. Just get right back on the horse: I'm thinking 30 days from now, these 2 days will seem like a blip.

Yeah. I hear you. Good point. Just disappointing. You feel like you're doing so well and something as stupid as butter knocks you!!!! But I think I'll stick with the Whole32!!!!!!

4/10

I didn't sleep well last night but woke up feeling pretty good! I also finally don't have a headache!!!!!

Breakfast:

Shredded grilled ckn with avocado

2.5 eggs

Water

Lunch:

Spinach salad with warm grilled chicken, cukes, grapes, carrots, and balsamic vin

1/2 sweet potato with ghee (i couldnt' finish it!)

water

this was the first time i just couldn't finish a meal!!! i stopped because i wasn't hungry anymore!! WOO HOOO! i'm just hoping it will hold me through until dinner.....

also, i am still feeling pretty good! have decent energy - i *could* lay down for a nap but i don't feel like I HAVE to lay down to sleep. that's progress, right?!

Snack

Finished the rest of my sweet potato and ghee.

I couldn't wait until dinner. I started feeling shaky and low-blood-sugary

Dinner

Spinach salad with cukes, yellow bell pepper (decided to shake things up!), carrots, grapes, avocado, and warm grilled chicken. Dressed with my balsamic vinaigrette. Also some watermelon on the side.

This salad was GINORMOUS and I'm not stuffed but I'm afraid I'll be hungry again in a few hours.

Why are snacks discouraged? I had to eat something just now bc I felt like my blood sugar was tanking

Eating something when you're genuinely hungry is fine.  From a Whole30 perspective, hunger = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli. When that happens, have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat.

Ideally, you want to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. So if you find yourself getting hungrier sooner, that's typically a sign to increase your portion sizes.

You want to avoid grazing/snacking throughout the day, as that can negatively impact your hormonal balance.

Eating something when you're genuinely hungry is fine. From a Whole30 perspective, hunger = you could eat steamed fish and broccoli. When that happens, have a mini-meal that includes a protein and fat.

Ideally, you want to create meals that satiate you for 4-5 hours. So if you find yourself getting hungrier sooner, that's typically a sign to increase your portion sizes.

You want to avoid grazing/snacking throughout the day, as that can negatively impact your hormonal balance.

Ok. That makes sense. I haven't been feeling hungry between meals until today but I also couldn't finish my lunch. Not sure why. I just felt STUFFED. Is that normal?

4/11

Breakfast

3 scrambled eggs mixed with kale and chard sautéed in ghee

Grapes

Water

Lunch

Sweet potato with ghee

Kale chips

Grilled chicken mixed with avocado

Grapes

Water

Dinner