How much sweet potato in Post WO??

jcarbon2

This is really a huge ??? for me.

What is a standard starting point?? 

a cup? two cups? 100g??  

I work out pretty intense full upper or lower body (45 minutes). 

Really lost need help.

Thanks in advance,

Jon

you have to go by how you feel and how you recover, there isn't one answer. That said, I wouldn't eat more than a cup of sweet potato post-workout, probably less. Try an amount that seems right to you and see how you feel afterwards.

• Whole30 Certified Coach

Really?  I didn't realize this was the case.  Should weight loss hopefuls eat protein and just no starch post workout?  Currently I have 2 slices of Applegate roast beef and half a small sweet potato (if I smooshed it I'd guess it was 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup).  

I weighed a slightly larger than normal piece - it was 2 oz.  

jcarbon2: do you have ISWF?  On page 244, there is a graph with guidance on how much carbs to have postWO, given the intensity of your activity and your current body composition, metabolic status and goals.  If you are currently lean, muscular with no chronic inflammation, you would have more carbs, about 50-100g, after 45 minutes of intense activity.  The amount of carbs needed is less if your body isn't in that top end of shape yet. (Moves down to < 50 g, then < 25 g).  Perhaps start with 50 g and see how you do?  (and littleg, if you are currently overweight, then no, you don't need carbs postWO.)

Ah crap, I must have read thatt scale wrong. 

I am working out 6 days a week, 3 HIIT cardio for 30 - 45 m and 3 weight training days, alertnating, and over weight.  So I read it that I should have 25g of starchy carbs + protein PWO.  I guess I could try this week with protein only and see how I feel. 

I guess I could try this week with protein only and see how I feel. 

This is really a YMMV situation. Low carbs can help weight loss if you tolerate it well, but if going low carb makes you depressed or low energy or struggle to recover from your workout, then I would reconsider.

This is really a YMMV situation. Low carbs can help weight loss if you tolerate it well, but if going low carb makes you depressed or low energy or struggle to recover from your workout, then I would reconsider.

I logged for the heck of it one day and ate about 90g of carbs (before fiber, if that's a factor) and have been feeling great during my workouts.  I just finished my 45 minute cardio kickbox DVD and ate some chicken breast only, so we'll see.  I am my own experiament.

Archived