First Whole30 - Start date 23.04.14

EliseB

This is my first Whole30, and I am excited to see what effects it will have on my life.

I've been eating mostly paleo for the last few weeks to make the transition a little easier.

Hubby is not on a strict paleo diet, but he supports me and eat the same dinner as I do.

Day 1:

I felt great. Avocado and eggs for breakfast. I had a lovely chicken salad for lunch with avocado dressing.

Sweet potato and chicken for dinner.

Experienced some headaches in the evening, but I think that was caused by my blood sugar getting too low. Note to self: Prepare more snacks for evening activities.

By the way, I love that there are so many Paleo cookbooks out there. Especially Paleo Nom Nom is great. I also search for new inspiration on pinterest. 

:D

Congratulations! Are you following the meal planning template? http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf. Most people don't eat enough on their whole30. Are you drinking 1/2 your body weight in oz of water each day? It looks like you need more veggies. Avocado is considered a fat. You should eat 2-3 cups at each meal. You should eat a variety of veggies like starchy veggies and leafy greens. Good Luck!

Thanks for the advise Tina. I could probably eat more veggies.

The chicken salad consisted of leafy greens and a big carrot + 200gr chicken + avocado dressing

I think breakfast is the most difficult meal of the day. Eating a breakfast without bread or ryvita will take some time getting used to.

I'm Norwegian and the bread based breakfast is extremely incorporated in to our eating culture. I LOVE bread, but I know it's not good for me. This is also one of the reasons for doing the Whole30. I need to get over my infatuation with bread.

Ideas for breakfast would be very much appreciated.

DAY 2:

Breakfast and Lunch: Sweet potato fry up with chicken, carrots and with hazelnut sprinkle. (2 portions)

Dinner: Asianish pork stir fry with avocado, cashews and Zucchini

Still experiencing some headaches. Drinking lots of water and green tea throughout the day.

Started to feel a bit low on energy.

DAY 2:

Breakfast and Lunch: Sweet potato fry up with chicken, carrots and with hazelnut sprinkle. (2 portions)

Still experiencing some headaches. Drinking lots of water and green tea throughout the day.

You may need more fat. Chicken is very lean. Do you eat beef? It could be your body adjusting. Have you checked out the timeline?

DAY 2:

Headaches are normal at this point. Keep on drinking that water: at least 1/2 an ounce per pound of your current body weight daily.

Also, make sure your portion sizes are appropriate: at least 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of vegetables, and the recommended amount of compliant fat per meal. 

You may need more fat. Chicken is very lean. Do you eat beef? It could be your body adjusting. Have you checked out the timeline?

Yes, I do eat beef. Todays meals consisted a lot of beef-protein. I am pretty much experiencing some of the steps in the timeline. :P

I have been troubled with migraines over the past two years, so it´s not surprising that I´m experiencing headaches in the transition period. 

Luckily today(day 3) was a lot better, no headaches :)

DAY 3:

Breakfast: Ground beef with zucchini and carrots

Lunch: salmon, green salad and more of what I had for breakfast

Dinner: Omelette with sausage and ruccula

Post run food: Lots of Spinach, eggs, sweet potato and a little avocado 

I felt great today. A little tired in the morning. 

I do catch my self craving candy. Hello cravings. 

Tomorrow we are having some friends over for dinner. I think it will be challenging to not join the wine drinking. 

What do people do at parties? Any suggestions for å replacement for the wine?

Am I allowed to drink fresh pure orange juice? 

DAY 4:

Meal plan:

Breakfast: Bacon wrapped asparagus with eggs avocado

Lunch: Green salad, spinach, sweet potato, sausage with avocado

Dinner: Grilled beef with baked sweet potato and green salad

Feeling SO tired and sore this morning. TIRED! 

The soreness is prob because of the interval running. 

It´s nice and sunny outside, so I´m sure it will be a lovely day :)

I think breakfast is the most difficult meal of the day. Eating a breakfast without bread or ryvita will take some time getting used to.

I'm Norwegian and the bread based breakfast is extremely incorporated in to our eating culture. I LOVE bread, but I know it's not good for me. This is also one of the reasons for doing the Whole30. I need to get over my infatuation with bread.

Ideas for breakfast would be very much appreciated.

Salsa on eggs, fried eggs over sweet potato hashblueberry and kale omelette (I prefer blueberry and spinach), chicken sausage and butternut squash and applesstrawberry and spinach salad (as a side dish to protein), and my favorite:Breakfast of Titans.

I have more if you want 'em.

If it helps, think of your meals in terms of meal 1, meal 2 and meal 3 rather than breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Each meal consists of the template.  This morning I'll be having leftover fish and bok choy for M1 because we're out of eggs. 

I drink sparkling water with lots of limes in place of wine.  You can use other citrus or berries if you prefer.

If it helps, think of your meals in terms of meal 1, meal 2 and meal 3 rather than breakfast, lunch and dinner.  Each meal consists of the template.  This morning I'll be having leftover fish and bok choy for M1 because we're out of eggs. 

I drink sparkling water with lots of limes in place of wine.  You can use other citrus or berries if you prefer.

Salsa on eggs, fried eggs over sweet potato hashblueberry and kale omelette (I prefer blueberry and spinach), chicken sausage and butternut squash and applesstrawberry and spinach salad (as a side dish to protein), and my favorite:Breakfast of Titans.

I have more if you want 'em.

Thanks for the great breakfast tips Glenn! Will definitely try some of them. 

I had sparkling water with lime and ice. Worked well for the evening ;)

Day 5:

Breakfast: eggs, sausage and asparagus

Lunsj: Chicken, sausage, sweet potato and a large green salad with cauliflower. 

Dinner: Kebab on stick with sweet potato, "cold slaw" 

Feeling good today. Experiencing some cravings, but can easily put my mind to something else. 

The commitment to the Whole30 feels easy and strong today.  :D

Will do some meal prepping for the upcoming week tonight. 

DAY 6: 

Breakfast: Sweet potato mash with ground beef

Lunch: Meatballs with zucchini and cauliflower + avocado

Dinner: Meatballs with zucchini and broccoli 

I felt so refreshed when I woke up this morning. It was awesome. Feeling very good. 

The cravings are still there. I walked past the freshly baked bread in the canteen this morning. 

No good. I stopped and sniffed the air for a minute or so. Smells SO nice, but there will be no bread for me...

Oh the cravings..

Hi - how are you getting on? I am on day 8. I gave up grains for a week or so before starting and had already given up sugar a while back. I was impressed that you were feeling great already! I feel awful, quite unwell, but I am still happy with the program and enjoying the food.

The food log is a good idea - I may start one too. Then you can see whether certain foods affect how you feel.

Wohoo! Halfway mark. Day 15 is over :D

I've been eating well the past week. Had some awesome sweet potato nachos over the weekend.

This week has been very strange. I have lost ALL of my appetite. I eat, but it's more like a chore than anything else.

Hope this will pass soon. I received the eat drink paleo book today so I'm hoping to draw some inspo from there.

I've also been day dreaming about cakes and sugary stuff.... Pinterest can be a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Tomorrow's meny is

Eggs, spinach and ham "muffins". For breakfast

Melissa's pas Thai for lunch

Salmon sashimi with raw cucumber, carrots and zucchini for dinner

DAY 17:

:lol: Appetite is better today!

Today is "salmon day"

Sashimi, cucumber, carrots and avocado for breakfast and lunch

For dinner grilled salmon with cauliflower puree and spinach. 

Energy is up after some days with the flu. I think I will be up for a nice long hike today.

I'm in a really good mood to. It feels really good that I have managed to do 17 days, and only have

13 days left.

I have been thinking a lot about what I will do after day 30. I've learned a lot about food during the last 17 days,

and will bring a lot of it with me. I miss being able to eat cake og sweets at celebrations and birthdays.

However I have found that it's easier for me to say no to sweets and sugary stuff, than to say only one please.

One often leads to several more... The Whole30 is a nice frame to work with.  ;) 

Sounds like you are brimming with Omega 3's today! :D

I am the same way with treats! One small bite of something will set me off. it is much easier for me to not have any at all. The exception would be something like 100% chocolate (which I love) or maybe dried fruit. There I seem to still have some ability to be satisfied after a few pieces.

Day 18

I have experienced a lot of the things mentioned in the Whole30 timeline, but this made me laugh. 

Last night I had a dream about eating cake. I ate half a cake without being aware of it.  I was devastated.

What happened? I was so close to the goal, and everything was wasted on a cream cake which I don´t even like to much. 

Then I woke up, realized it was a dream and laughed out loud.  :lol:

Has anyone else experienced this? 

I've not experienced these types of dreams ... but I bet it was a relief when you found out it was only a dream. ;)

It sure was! It also made me realize how much I want to complete this. :)

12 days to go!

Day 18

I have experienced a lot of the things mentioned in the Whole30 timeline, but this made me laugh. 

Last night I had a dream about eating cake. I ate half a cake without being aware of it.  I was devastated.

What happened? I was so close to the goal, and everything was wasted on a cream cake which I don´t even like to much. 

Then I woke up, realized it was a dream and laughed out loud.  :lol:

Has anyone else experienced this? 

This is very typical. For me, it was potato chips.

Archived