How about Mayonnaise?

River

So, what's up with mayo? Am complete newb and going through my checklist of Yes & No. Some folks mention mayo...and making their own. In light of busy life & not realistic to make my own mayo, IF mayo is compliant with Whole30, then is there a store version that's more acceptable than another? Thanks!!

Most shop bought mayo would use nasty oils and contain sugars and weird emulsifiers. Honestly you would make it at home quicker than it would take to read all the labels! I just posted the stick blender method in the other mayo thread, that takes less than a minute.

making it at home - easiest thing ever. not sure about the stick blender method but with a food processor it takes all of 35 minutes (and 30 of those are just waiting for the egg to get to room temp, so you can go do something else). make it and then you can make all kinds of dressings with it too if you get sick of vinegar + oil on your salads.

We make this one all the time and it's awesome! http://crossfitdowntownwinston.com/2011/10/12/paleo-ketchup-and-mayo/ We add extra lemon juice, balsamic vinegar and favorite spice to make it into salad dressing. Scroll past the the ketchup recipe (it's yummy too w/ homemade sweet potato fries) and you'll see the recipe. Doesn't take long at all and will work w/ a blender. We used LIGHT tasting olive oil and remember to pour it really slowly until you hear the blender starting to sound diff and then you can pour the rest of it fast. Good luck!

Believe me, I searched high and low looking for a mayo that was acceptable. I could've made a dozen batches of homemade mayo in that time. There is so much junk in those store brands, even Whole Foods. This is the recipe I like, you just have to follow the directions to the T and it actually tastes so much better than store bought and just takes a few minutes. Make sure you use either macadamia nut oil or extra light (not virgin) oil or it will taste awful. Homemade Mayo

• 4 months later...

I thought it would be uber hard, too, but it was AMAZINGLY easy. Patience truly is the key! Mine took about three minutes all told, not including leaving the egg and a bit of oil and the lemon juice out all day in the blender carafe.

But it came out pretty darn good. I made egg salad yesterday and had to add more salt and some vinegar, but yummy!

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making mayo for several months since I figured out the nasty oil thing. It's simple, I don't bring my ingredients to room temp and the kids love it.

1 whole egg

1 T Apple cider vinegar

1 t mustard or some equivalent dry mustard

salt & pepper

3/4 c oil for which I use 1/2 c melted coconut oil and 1/4 c EVOO

Because of the coconut oil you can use a good quality organic EVOO instead of one of the refined light olive oils and it doesn't taste too strongly of olives.

Hope that helps. We're starting our whole thirty the end of this month so I'm prepping like crazy!

Archived