McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

Sore from yoga and it feels so good!  Eating was good yesterday but I don't know, I'm still not feeling in a groove.  

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/bacon and kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  going out and having a salad

Dinner:  also going out (I'm sure two meals in a row out is NOT good), not even sure where we're going

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So here I am halfway through the month of June which was supposed to be my weight loss month and I haven't really lost any weight.  Not only that but I feel like I'm barely trying.  Yes, I cut out of the candy at work, yes, I cut out the four/five times a week small glass of wine, but I'm still eating non-gluten grains several times a week, I'm still occasionally munching on gluten leftovers (I'm looking at you, kids' pizza crusts), and there have been MORE social events than usual so I feel like I'm drinking more but less often.  Not surprising that I haven't lost anything!  My workouts have been good -- back to yoga, lots of walking, weight lifting at home (I know they could be MUCH better but this is about all I can do with two small kids).  So clearly this is NOT going to be my weight loss month.  And maybe there never will be such a month.  I didn't want to do something super strict like a Whole 30, but I don't seem to do well without limits, just guidelines.  I need to reassess.

Breakfast:  three eggs scrambled w/chives, some gluten-free oat cereal, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/tomato and meat sauce

Snack:  sampled some tortilla chips and guac at the store (man, I LOVE guac!)

Dinner:  trout, large salad

Workout:  weights

So our air conditioning went out last night, which threw off the whole night.  Eating was still fine but I didn't do weights.  It is working again today (thank goodness).

Breakfast:  three hb eggs w/kale/chard/spinach, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover trout

Dinner:  grilled chicken/veggie kabobs

Workout:  yoga

Let us know what you decide to do when you reassess.  I think we're in a common and tough spot.  Far enough from our goal to be annoyed but close enough that small tweaks aren't really cutting it.  It's all about deciding what you're willing to live with and what you're willing to do.  I am much happier just accepting (for the most part) where I am and just focusing on eating clean and healthy.  I'm not really willing to do more right now.  If I let myself care too much about it I get super frustrated that any bit of not perfect (even when that's still way healthier than most people) reverses any small progress I make.  It's very annoying.  All we can do is keep at it but try to stay calm and not let it get to us.

Glad your AC is back up! 

Thanks Jen.  Yeah, it's a tough spot.  In the past I always lost weight with severe calorie and/or food restriction.  That's not healthy and I just feel like doing it again.  My plan for this month was to cut way back on the sugar, alcohol, and non-gluten grains and cut dairy and gluten entirely and see if that moved the scale.  Unfortunately I haven't stuck with that plan at all and I'm pretty eating the same way as ever.  So now I'm questioning whether I can even commit to the small tweaks!  I know my diet could be improved, it's not bad, but could be better, but I have no idea if that will affect my weight.  I have been this weight for my whole 30s so it may just be my normal at this point.

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/kale, spinach, and chard, sweet potato w/coconut butter, fruit, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  going to a luncheon, not sure of the menu, will eat what I can

Dinner:  going to another work event (leaving town for these) so again not sure

Back from my out of town work trip.  I surprised myself with how well I ate!  One glass of wine, a couple bites of the dessert offerings and other than that all fish, chicken, salad, and some egg for breakfast.  I did tons of walking (no true working out).  My weight is even down a bit.  Yay!

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/kale/spinach/chard, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken and veggie kabob

Snack:  Lara bar (I was absolutely starving by 2 pm and I tried to wait it out but I was still starving so instead of candy I had a Lara bar!)

Dinner:  I have the makings for my spaghetti squash w/Italian sausage so I'll plan to do that unless my husband has something else in mind

Weekend was good.  As usual I veered off track a little bit with some tortilla chips and guac, but otherwise eating was pretty decent.  I have my annual physical tomorrow and got blood drawn today so we'll see how things look!

Weight isn't so hot -- it was down on Friday and now it's back up.  I seem to be fluctuating by two pounds but never actually losing.  I think it's because I do well during the week and then my slightly off-track weekend eating bumps me back up.  AF is coming too . . . 

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/coconut milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/Italian sausage

Dinner:  salad, various "bites" of other things

AF is here.  Weight is up but that is to be expected.  Just back from my yearly physical and all the labs look good although one indicated I might have a B12 deficiency.  Hmm.  

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/kale, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  veggie/chicken kabob

Dinner:  burgers, salad

Ended up having to leave work early yesterday due to a sick kid.  He's so sad -- not eating, throwing up, fever.  Poor little guy.  It totally threw off my eating and I had some unintended popcorn (I really need to not have this in the house!).  My stomach is off today but that is likely due to AF.

Breakfast:  three eggs w/kale, coffee w/cashew milk
Lunch:  leftover burger w/tomatoes, popcorn

Dinner:  grilled chicken breasts, salad

Heading out on vacation tomorrow.  June has been a fine eating month, weight loss did not happen. I'm 1-2 pounds lighter than when I started but I feel like that's my normal fluctuation.  What I've learned is that maybe I just don't care enough to really try to lose these last 10 pounds. I'll think about it on vacation.

Vacation often involves a lot of snacking and wine so I need to keep those in check. Avoiding gluten/dairy/grains shouldn't be too hard.

Breakfast:  scrambled eggs w/kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken

Dinner:  ordering take-out, not sure what yet

Workout:  probably none 

That's what I've learned.  I just don't care enough to do more so I have to just accept it and not let it stress me out because if I don't care enough to change anything I'm doing I shouldn't care enough to fret over it.  Enjoy vacation! 

• 2 weeks later...

Back from vacation!  Actually got back over the weekend but I've been too busy getting back to normal life so I'm just checking in now.  Vacation was good -- fun, lots of napping, great times with family etc.  My eating was a bit better than expected.  There was very little sugar so not really a temptation -- I did have a few bites of a cupcake on my birthday but it made me feel gross.  I feel like I'm definitely getting over my sugar addiction (although I also know it's easy to come back to it if I start eating candy at work again!).  I did have wine everyday, but that was expected.  Some, but not too many non-gluten grains.  My weight is up maybe two pounds but I'm waiting to see if it's just temporary.  I was thinking how just like I used to "gain" five pounds every weekend I also used to gain at least five pounds every vacation.  Must be a sign of calmer eating that I don't!  

I was very active on vacation but not structured exercise.  I was hoping to get back to yoga today but I'm so behind at work that it's not going to happen.  I'll lift weights tonight.

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/bacon and kale, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover ribs (made these myself!), sweet potato

Dinner:  will check with my husband, I have four meals lined up for the week

Yesterday I noticed something (accidentally).  I was too busy in the morning to eat my sweet potato so I just had the eggs.  I was pretty hungry but I ate the sweet potato w/my ribs for lunch.  I was MUCH more satisfied and fuller longer than usual.  I wonder if the starch at lunch helped?  I almost never have a starch with lunch.  But I would need to eat something more for breakfast probably.  Just something to consider.

So I think this month (a week in) needs to be about clean eating.  Focusing on weight loss did not work, but I really want to eat food that makes me feel better and fuels my body.  Last night I ended up having gluten-free pizza (leftover from kids) and I felt yucky.  

So for this month:

No gluten

Limited dairy

Limited non-gluten grains (I'll allow myself the farmers market corn)

Limited alcohol

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/bacon and kale, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  sweet potato w/coconut butter, leftover ribs

Dinner:  steak/veggie kabobs

Workout:  not sure

Welcome back.  It sounds like you had a nice vacation.  Focusing on eating what makes you feel good is a great idea.  If you can successfully shift your mindset from Limit/No/Deprive to eating what makes you feel good, you'll be miles ahead.  Good luck!

Jen, that is the goal -- we'll see how I do!

I realized last night that I'm not going to stress over eating white rice.  I do it a couple times a week and it doesn't bother my stomach at all.  I know that nutritionally it's not the greatest choice, but if it doesn't bother my stomach and doesn't seem to have other ill effects, I think I can stop beating myself up over it.  Processed rice and oat products are a different story and I still plan to stay away from those.

Good news -- my weight is back to the pre-vacation weight!  

Breakfast:  three eggs w/bacon and kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover beef and veggie kabob, rice

Dinner:  making a pasta dish for my husband that I'm not sure will translate well to spaghetti squash but we'll try it!

Workout:  yoga (yay!!)

So I did break out the wine last night.  My goal was to cut back because wine obviously isn't great for anyone. I want it to be more of an occasional indulgence than a nightly thing.  But this week has been insane at work and my kids were super difficult last night so I succumbed to a glass.  

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/bacon and kale, avocado (ran out of sweet potatoes, we'll see how this is), coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/fresh tomatoes, basil, and sausage (just made this up and it was awesome)

Dinner:  grilled chicken, salad or veggies

Weekend went well!  We went out Saturday and Sunday night so I had some wine.  And Saturday we went to a Mexican place so I had a little rice and beans and tortilla chips.  Tummy felt weird afterward and I woke up on Sunday not hungry.  Not sure what did me in . . . thinking maybe it was the beans since I never eat them??  Weight is up only slightly though as my weekends become more like my weekdays and less like opportunities to offroad!  No desserts.

Also finally got back to my farmers market.  LOVE IT.  Of course my kids have eaten all the fruit I bought.  But I got some great meat and I love supporting farmers!

Breakfast:  eggs, ham, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover chicken and salad

Dinner:  grilled burgers, salad or veggie

Weight is down more.  I'm stunned.  It's not anything drastic, but I'm back to where I was post-Whole 30, the lowest it's been all year.  Can't figure out what I'm doing right!  

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  chicken salad

Snack:  was starving mid-afternoon and had a Lara bar

Dinner:  carrots w/baba ganoush, cheese, fruit, and wine at book club

Last night's bookclub eating was not the best, but not the worst either.  Too much cheese, which my stomach doesn't like.  Weight was up a smidge today, to be expected.

Breakfast:  three scrambled eggs w/kale, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  chicken salad over spinach

Snack:  chocolate, popsicle (birthday treats)

Dinner:  popcorn, chicken broccoli Indian stir-fry

Workout:  too tired

Yesterday's afternoon and evening eating was HORRIBLE!  It's almost laughable.  My office had a surprise birthday party for me where I had a popsicle and some chocolate.  Then I gave my kids popcorn to snack on and I ended up eating a bunch.  So I kept dinner very small.  Weight not affected, but not proud of myself.

Lunch:  leftover chicken broccoli stir fry

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/Italian sausage

Yesterday's afternoon and evening eating was HORRIBLE!  It's almost laughable.  My office had a surprise birthday party for me where I had a popsicle and some chocolate.  Then I gave my kids popcorn to snack on and I ended up eating a bunch.  So I kept dinner very small.  Weight not affected, but not proud of myself.

Lunch:  leftover chicken broccoli stir fry

Dinner:  carrots w/baba ganoush, cheese and sopressata, few bites of gnocchi

Lunch:  leftover chicken broccoli stir-fry

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/Italian sausage and tomato sauce

I should have known the exciting weight loss couldn't loss.  I "gained" two pounds despite not eating differently and now I'm back to where I was.  Still, it gives me hope!  Weekend eating was good except for Sunday night, which involved pizza.  I wasn't going to eat any but I did.  Never a good idea.  I made it to the farmer's market, did a bunch of swimming with the kids (it was SUPER hot here) and napped.  So overall restful.  Next few weekends are very busy so glad we had a low-key one.  Back to good eating this week!

Breakfast: two scrambled eggs (cooked four but my son ate about half of them), coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  two thin hamburgers topped w/guacamole, apricots

Dinner:  salad, fresh corn, slices of salami w/cheese

Workout: weights

My husband worked super late last night so I ended up changing the dinner plan.  Thought a salad and corn would be enough (not sure why) but then got super hungry so I added some salami and cheese (not enough cheese to hurt my tummy!).  Weight still the same (sigh), up two pounds from the low last week.  AF is coming too.

Lunch:  leftover sausage and tomato sauce

Dinner:  chicken and veggie kabob

Archived