McJule's Post-Whole 30

mcjule

And weight back up today.  Not sure why . . . I ate more dinner than the day before so maybe that did it.

Breakfast:  two hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover kielbasa, veggies, and rice

Dinner:  spaghetti squash w/tomatoes and sausage

Workout:  weights

• Replies 736
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back after a long weekend (four days) at the shore.  It was great and relaxing, even with two small kids.  My eating was fine, I had a dessert one night, which was crazy because I can't remember the last time I ate a whole dessert (as opposed to a couple bites).  I had wine, but did not overdo it, a glass a night.  More snacking than usual.  Weight is up but that is to be expected.  So my husband wants to lose weight, which is kind of funny because a) he's not overweight and B) he's never tried to lose weight in his whole life (he's also on the skinny side generally) and he has no idea what he's doing.  To help him and hopefully myself, we're going to do smaller dinners this week and see how that goes.  Tonight I have book club but we'll start tomorrow.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover sausage and rice (I know I'm short on veggies, but no opportunity to hit the store yet)

Dinner:  book club, probably will eat a couple things

Workout: likely none

It's a struggle for me too Jen.  I think a large part of the problem is that I get home at 6 pm and I'm pretty hungry because I haven't eaten since noon, but my husband isn't going to get home until 8 pm so I snack and then when dinner comes around I'm not actually that hungry but eat it anyway.

So last night I had maybe 2.5 glasses of wine and I can feel it today.  My body seriously does not handle more than a glass of wine a day.  I need to remember this.  I would be so much better off if I never had more than one glass.  No more wine until the weekend when we have two parties.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, fruit, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  turkey slices, broccoli slaw

Dinner:  salad, not sure what else

I'm the same with wine.  I can't do more than 1 glass.  It was tough at the work dinner last night.  It was a fancy place and they kept trying to fill up wine glasses.  Knowing I wanted to drive home without falling asleep kept me holding firm, though. :P

So I feel like I am "treating" on way too regular of a basis.  Everyday I seem to have something that I'm trying to limit in my life -- gluten, dairy, alcohol, or sugar.  Not all together but inevitably there is one of the four.  Yesterday a co-worked baked these amazing brownies, which I tried. I don't really regret it, they were AMAZING, but it was sugar and gluten.  Then I had a bite of my son's pizza, which had both dairy and gluten.  That's three of my four nos in one day!!  I really need to be better about keeping these things to rare instances.

Lunch:  broccoli slaw, turkey slices (this was definitely not enough food and I'm already starving . . . I see a Lara bar in my future)

Dinner:  salad

Workout:  I missed yoga due a work meeting so probably weights

So my "smaller dinner" plan is having zero effect on my weight.  I am definitely eating a smaller dinner but the scale is not budging.  It's been at the same spot for a few weeks now, up a pound or two from where I was in July/August.  The good news is that yesterday I had no alcohol, no sugar, and no gluten!  Improvement!

Lunch:  turkey, salad

Dinner:  more salad likely

Workout:  I haven't been feeling well the last couple days so I'll see

So my weekend involved a lot of eating.  I definitely ate everything on my "no" or "rare" list although not in huge quantities.  I had some wine, but not too much.  I had some sugar, but not too much.  I had some gluten, but not too much.  Etc.  But my body definitely did not like it and I'm still not back to normal.  Hoping this week I will get there by doing a bit of a reset (but I still have a few lingering foods).

Lunch:  leftover pulled pork, corn

Workout:  yoga (yay!!!)

Clean eating is going but my weight is still way too high.  I'm also expecting AF so that could be part of the problem!

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, fruit, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  going to a lunch meeting so not sure what will be served, but hoping there is something I can eat!

Workout:  weights (I'm sore from yoga, which feels SO good!!!)

The lunch from yesterday was less than ideal.  I had a meet where lunch was served and it was sandwiches, chips, a piece of fruit, and a cookie.  So lots of things that I can't eat!  I ended up having the inside of a turkey sandwich (not a lot of food), popcorn (I thought better than chips), and an orange.  I was starving and then had some chocolate in the afternoon.  

AF is here today and I'm in a bad mood and crampy/bloated.  Yuck!

Lunch:  leftover chicken and rice

Workout:  yoga

Totally had chocolate yesterday.  But at least I'm avoiding the gluten!  Stomach not bothering me other than what I'm getting from AF.

Lunch:  salad w/chicken

Workout:  I'm super sore from doing weights/yoga/weights/yoga the past four days that I may need the night off

Didn't get a chance to post yesterday.  Weekend was good -- had two meals out, but nothing too crazy there.  My weight is still up even though AF is gone.  I think even though I'm having smaller dinners I'm snacking too much between 5 and 7 pm (pre-dinner) and I keep allowing myself exceptions.  I'm definitely having more alcohol, sugar, gluten, dairy than I need (which is basically zero of all of those!).  I have a girls night on Friday but I'm going to try to keep things in check before then.

Lunch:  spaghetti squash w/tomato sauce and sausage

I can't say yesterday was a great eating day.  I was stressed about a bunch of stuff and ended up having some chocolate and tortilla chips.  It could have been worse but it could have been better. My weight is still up and I know it's because of all the snacking and treats.

Lunch:  spaghetti squash w/sausage and tomato sauce

Workout:  elliptical/weights

Weight is down a bit (still not enough) so I think I'm on the right track this week.  I was so exhausted yesterday I didn't do a workout.  And then today I realized I didn't really have anything for lunch so throwing something together.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, oat bran w/almond butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  sweet potato w/coconut butter, ham

I think I figured out a big problem of my recent cheats/treats.  So I have been trying to lose weight by having a much smaller dinner, generally a salad.  The problem is that at 6 pm I am very hungry and the salad is not quite enough.  So what I do is what I did last night -- I snack.  Often this is on the kids' food.  So my boys ate quesadillas last night (cheese and flour tortillas) and I had a few bites.  Right there are two foods I am trying to avoid -- dairy and gluten!  I know now that I need to have a slightly bigger dinner and have some Whole 30 friendly snacks on hand when I'm really hungry.

Also, I had major tummy problems yesterday morning.  It may have been the oat bran.  Pre-Whole 30 I had oatmeal or oat bran every morning.  I reintroduced the oatmeal and it caused no issues, but I've generally felt it's not the healthiest option.  Yesterday (and again today) I was worried because I didn't have enough for lunch so I decided to make it part of my breakfast.  If I feel sick again today I'll know oat bran is not for me!

Tonight is going to be a bit of a challenge because I have a dinner party to attend.  Not sure about the food, but I'm fairly certainly I'll be able to eat something!  Also I need to try really hard not to overdo on the wine.  I hate really tipsy and I really hate being hungover.  This usually happens because I'm not paying attention and someone fills my glass up.  Going to be more on top of it tonight.

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, oat bran w/almond butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  sweet potato w/coconut butter, ham

Dinner:  unknown

Workout:  none

Very proud of myself for my eating this past weekend.  On Friday night at the dinner party I 1) did not overeat, 2) did not drink too much wine, and 3) ate almost all "good" foods, i.e., no gluten, a tiny bit of dairy and sugar, otherwise meats and veggies.  Social settings like that are my biggest obstacles so I'm so proud of myself.  I don't want to just stay in my house all the time because that's the only way I can eat properly!  My husband and I also had a date night Saturday night and that went well too -- we went to an Italian place, but I kept it to meat and veggies (no pasta or bread) and had decaf coffee instead of dessert.  

Sadly despite my good eating I'm still experiencing the Monday morning weight gain that I almost always have after the weekend.  Monday is my peak weight and Friday or Saturday is my lowest (I don't weigh daily, but about every other day).

Breakfast:  three eggs w/bacon, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  leftover rosemary sausage (had this for dinner last night, SO amazing), salad

Dinner:  more salad, will add some meat

I thought my eating yesterday went very well.  If it wasn't for a tortilla chip sample at the grocery store I would have had an entire Whole 30 day.  But it was great to forgo the sugar, alcohol, gluten, and dairy.  My weight still isn't responding to the smaller dinners, which is frustrating.  I need to figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Today I have two afternoon work events that will have food at them.  The timing of these things is always bad because it triggers my afternoon snack craving, even though I've had enough food that I don't NEED a snack.  Will try to forgo the snack or just eat veggies (if there are veggies).

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/cashew butter, coffee w/cashew milk

Lunch:  spaghetti squash w/sausage and heirloom tomatoes

So yesterday's eating took a sharp turn from "good" to "terrible."  I had stressful afternoon meetings and wasn't feeling great, which resulted in me eating both sugar AND gluten.  Then I felt even worse. I had a horrible headache and my stomach was bloated.  It seems so obvious that I need to avoid these foods -- why do I keep eating them?  They are good for the second I put them in my mouth and then it's all downhill.  I've decided to do a no sugar and no gluten October, but starting today. 

NG/NS:  Day 1

Breakfast:  three hb eggs, sweet potato w/coconut butter, coffee w/cashew milk, fruit

Lunch:  leftover spaghetti squash w/sausage and heirloom tomatoes

The no sugar/no gluten pledge was definitely the way to go because there were multiple times yesterday when I was tempted to have "just a bite" of one or the other but I remembered my pledge.  Hopefully my body/weight will start falling in line soon!

Weather here is terrible with the hurricane approaching, but I'll brave it to get to yoga.

Lunch:  broccoli salad, sausage

I'm continuing to eat well and exercise but the scale is still up way too high.  Hoping this will change soon.  

Our weather is terrible and rainy with the hurricane approaching.  Just want to stay indoors!

NS/NG Day 3

Lunch:  ham, kale salad

Dinner:  salad, carrots w/baba ganoush, maybe something else

Scale is down a tad but seriously, WHAT HAPPENED??!!  I'm up about three pounds from this summer.  I know I was off track but I've been much better and it just isn't working.  Weekend eating was good, largely because we didn't have a bunch of social events.  Avoided all the gluten and sugar at the after church reception.  I had sushi, some popcorn, and white wine but that was my only non-Whole 30 eating.  Pretty decent I would say.  My stomach is definitely happy about my eating lately!

Lunch:  leftover Thai food

I can never figure out what's going on, either.  A few little off-roads make me gain 5 lbs and then nothing I do takes it off.  Then, for no good reason, sometimes it just goes away for a while.  I try not to let it get to me.  Except to use tight pants as a reminder to knock it off with the little off roads.  They add up.  Disproportionately, I think, but still.  It's annoying, isn't it?

So true Jen!

In my 20s:  go on vacation for a week, eat whatever I want, "gain" five pounds, lose it within one week of coming home

In my late 30s:  go to a party on the weekend and eat a little bit more than usual and have a couple things I don't eat regularly, "gain" five pounds, spend the next three months trying to get rid of it.

I'm exhausted this week -- haven't gotten enough sleep the past two nights so I'm dragging.

Breakfast:  the usual

Lunch:  roasted brussel sprouts, Italian sausage (I can't tell you how much better the farmers market sausage is than my grocery store!)

Dinner:  salad, probably a few other snacks

Archived