Looking for a buddy Training for 1/2 and starting Whole 30 May 12

kuna01

I am currently training for a 1/2 marathon which I will run May 10.  Monday May 12th I plan to start my Whole 30 and start training May 17 for a half August 23.  

I am looking for a buddy to keep me on track.  Any takers?

Hey, I'm also training for a half (my first), on May 18. I'm on Day 7 of my second Whole 30 (I had actually done 5 days before Easter, but then consciously decided to restart after the break, as I was going away on a trip that included a winery tour).

I'm also planning a second half marathon on 21 September (it's kind of addictive, right? :) ). My current plan is to finish this whole 30 the week after my first half, have a few drinks with friends to celebrate, and then continue Whole 30 for another 2 months (until 27 July) while training for the half. I then have a two week holiday where I plan to stay Paleo (and train while road-tripping with my parents!), then just Paleo until the half, because I don't want to live Whole 365.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey did u find a training buddy? I will connect with ya if u want more support. I am starting my whole30 today may16. I have a half ironman the second week of August. I have done a couple ironmans and pretty much paleo except when I do stupid things and go off plan which I just did this last few days so I need to get back in control and get sugar out of me again. I did my first whole30 in February. I tried to complete it several other times but couldn't until February. It was awesome and loved it. Anyways let me know if I can join your team! I have a tri in about a month and do a lot of long bikes on both sat and sun with long runs once a week and a few hour runs as well. I am at about 9-12 hours training at this point and have. Been working on fueling and nutrtion paleo style and not using gels etc this year.

Wow Kimmy that's super impressive. I've postponed by whole 30 because I was having trouble getting through my long runs without sugar or gels and I didn't have enough time to work through it, so following the advice from paleo coach and eating a strict paleo apart from during runs. It's my plan to work through that before long runs start for the next training period.

I'd love to hear how you're going with the paleo fueling.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I want to get in on this.In February I just finished my first running season while being totally paleo. Four half marathons (as well as a few other races) in six months all while eating a paleo diet. I consider myself VERY lucky, as everyone's biology is different. I was amazed my first long runs when I didn't bonk while not consuming any carbohydrates during the 10-14 miles. I did experiment with eating a date during a couple training runs. It didn't bother my stomach, but some people can't handle it. 

I do bonk on long bike rides without added carbs, I have taken baked sweet potatoes with me on long bike rides. I have moderate success with that. Sometimes my stomach is okay with that, sometimes not. Perhaps it depends on how hot it is. I haven't found the commonality yet. 

I've also eaten bananas mashed with coconut oil before and during endurance events. This doesn't taste particularly yummy to me, but it is very effective. The coconut oil is especially great for endurance athletes because it is a medium chain fat that can be converted directly to energy.

I started whole30 and I'm on day 3 and I'm a runner, but I'm having a hard time finishing my long runs.... What do you guys eat before during and after??

Experiencing extra fatigue during your runs the first 2 weeks of Whole30 is entirely normal. Your body is making the transition from burning quick carbs to burning fat reserves. Hang in there and let the process resolve itself. My runs got much better than they were before once I let my body adjust.

As far as food. I was training for a half marathon when I did my first Whole30. Having some protein and fat (like a hard boiled egg) before your run is good and than having lean protein and starchy vegetables (like chicken breast and sweet potato) after is good. I have never been one to eat during my runs. I mixed coconut water in with my regular water on long runs and/or hot days and that seemed to help me a lot. 

I'm starting training for my second half in a few more weeks, where I'll be Paleo from the very start, so very much looking forward to seeing how I improve on my previous one, where I started my Whole 30 halfway through, and then had to switch to Paleo + gels - ie. very much NOT Whole 30! (But actually, this is what Loren Cordain recommends in Paleo for Athletes, which is interesting.)

I am going to throw another Whole 30 in there after I get back from holiday which will be over the last month of training before the race. Hopefully not shooting myself in the foot there! But even if I have to drop back to Paleo rather than strict W30, I'd consider that a win :).

I'm starting tomorrow... as I just had a yogurt while reading this...oy.

Training for a 70.3 that I'm going August 10th in Michigan. I'd like to do it without gels. Swim is usually OK, bike is when the eating takes place...so wondering what I should eat for long training rides and runs. Running 10 miles with no nutrition scares the heck out of me.

Thanks athletes!

I'm starting tomorrow... as I just had a yogurt while reading this...oy.

Training for a 70.3 that I'm going August 10th in Michigan. I'd like to do it without gels. Swim is usually OK, bike is when the eating takes place...so wondering what I should eat for long training rides and runs. Running 10 miles with no nutrition scares the heck out of me.

Thanks athletes!

I don't want to steal anyone's thunder, but one of the member's here, ultrarunninggirl, has a great blog that details her experiences with ultra marathons and Whole 30/Paleo fuelling - great reading. http://ultrarunnergirl.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/ultrarunning-and-fueling-on-whole30.html

One of the things I'm aiming to use is baby food sachets of carb based fruits and sweet potato - unfortunately they're bigger than gels and don't fit in my bra quite as easily!

Archived