Turned Off By Food?

25 days in and I'm wrestling with a new issue. For the last 4 or 5 days I'm finding I'm really turned off by food. Protein especially. I'm hungry, I love the looks of the recipes in my 3 Paleo cookbooks, I have made a huge variety of things...they look good...

And then a few bites in and I'm yucked out. I push through, because I know I need to eat, but I can't finish anything. I don't think I'm eating enough now, because 2-3 hours later I'm pretty hungry. But I just can't make myself eat more.

I've tried all my favoriets-filet, salmon, tuna, chicken meatballs...nothing seems to work. I've tried different recipes, sauces, spices. I feel like I did when I was pregnant, only I'm not pregnant.

I've had some clear hormonal craziness over the last few days, could this be related? Has anyone else experienced this? Does it pass?

I occasionally have days like that too. It usually only lasts a day or two for me. Maybe it is related to my cycle, I never thought about that but it could be. When it happens, I basically just eat whatever I do want to eat (still Whole30) and get through it. I did find that when I couldn't make myself eat regular amounts of food (it happened to me at breakfast or at dinner, mostly), I would at least make sure I was getting in plenty of fat. If that meant I was eating hunks of avocado on a tiny little piece of egg, so be it.

I just told myself that not every day has to be nutritionally perfect as long as 90% of them are and 100% of the food I eat is compliant.

Hah. The first thing I thought when I started reading was, "is she pregnant?"

Now, after finishing reading, are you SURE you aren't pregnant? :)

Seriously though, if there's zero possibility of being pregnant, you may either be overdoing it on the protein and not having enough fat, or your digesting may be off for whatever reason. I've gotten protein/food aversions when I'm trying to eat extra food because of training needs, and I'm always walking around uncomfortably full. I want nothing else to do with food. That, or I'm coming off of antibiotics or catching a stomach bug of some kind.

I'd just eat the foods you can stomach, until it resolves. Maybe try to get some fermented veggies in there to see if probiotics will help, otherwise I wouldn't stress about it

Definitely not pregnant...raincoat and and umbrella, as they say.

I'll try the fermented veggies, I never thought of that.

I'm glad to know that this isn't unheard of. I'll wait it out. I've gone through a lot of different things the past 25 days, I'll chalk this up to my body going through good changes. Thanks for your responses.

Archived