How much more food?

I'm very active mom of five all under age 9. I am breastfeeding and bed sharing with a very needy seven month old. I lift weights twice a week and do some sort of interval runs or sprints once or twice a week as well. Sleep is not awesome d/t all these little people, but I do try to make it a priority. I also have PCOS but have had "ideal" (in the 4's) A1C for most of the time prior to pregnancy, during pregnancy, and from about 3 months postpartum. I'd love to wean of my Metformin but my goal is to do my first Whole30 first, and then reassess. I'm definitely not looking to lose a ton of weight, I don't have more than 5 or so to spare! I just want to feel better and help my limited time exercising really count as my strength and muscle isn't where it was prior to this last pregnancy.

It's Day 6. I've felt pretty persistent fatigue, but not sleepiness... Just like I'm very weak. Some

dizziness today. Normal? I'm always hungry. But, I'm already at three meals plus a later mini meal since I nurse through the night and typically snack mid day.

I'm breastfeeding and very active and found I had issues in the first couple weeks but added more fruit and starchy veggies to my meals and that really helped. Plus I didn't deny myself snacks if I needed them, although over time I no longer really needed them.

I'm not-so-active, breastfeeding a toddler who eats lots of table food, and I still need four full-size meals (most days) to keep my energy up and keep from feeling lightheaded. The general advice from experienced members and moderators is 4-5 template meals a day for nursing moms.

I'd say some fatigue is normal (especially for a busy mom on day 6), but feeling weak or unwell is a sign you need more food.

Just to back up what is already said, I don't think eating 4 meals at the upper end of the template is unreasonable for you. You are a busy super mom getting little sleep and you need a lot of fuel. Make especially sure you are getting enough fat and starchy vegetables.

Archived