Cocoa Butter for Cooking

keychain

I bought a brick of 100%, organic cocoa butter at the health food store, and I've been experimenting with using it as a cooking oil. This morning I cooked a sweet potato pancake in a little bit of coconut oil and cocoa butter, and it tasted amazing, with a sage-coated fried egg on top. Cocoa butter has some good fat stats…

Cocoa Butter (1 Tbsp)

13.5g Total Fat

8.1g SFA (60%)

4.4g MUFA (33%)

0.4g PUFA (3%)

And it's Rich and vitamin K and E. Is there a downside to cooking with cocoa butter?

post-45220-0-03841600-1400384651_thumb.j

Your cocoa butter is okay for Whole30. But depending on how you made it, the "sweet potato pancake" may not.

If you just fried sweet potatoes and mashed them flat, that's okay. But if this is a multi-ingredient thing, usually with compliant flour, that is meant to simulate real pancakes, the rules say No.

Cocoa butter is white solid chunks of fat extracted from the cocoa bean. It's pretty heat stable as far as I recall and ok to cook with. I like it better as hand/hair lotion  :D That blog post is about the cocoa powder, which is what remains after the fat is extracted. It is not discussing compliance of the cocoa butter.

Archived