Hi All

Day 4 here, so far so good...except this dull back pain!!

I've read this can be attributed to a low carb diet, which I know Whole30 is, but I'm totally confused. The first 3 days I had a wonderful headache, which I attributed to my lack of coffee (the headache has since subsided). On Day 3, a fun dull ache in my back started. This has gotten worse. I sit at a desk for 8 hours a day and try to move as frequently as possible but nothing seems to give me relief. I'm not a big fan of medicine so I don't want to start popping pain pills (just yet).  Maybe I'm not eating enough or I'm not eating the right foods?

This is what I've eaten so far...

Day 1 (Monday):

breakfast-

3/4c sweet potato hash

2 eggs

1c blueberries

lunch -

field greens

5 grilled shrimp

tessemae's dressing

1/4c cashews

dinner -

sausage

peppers

homemade sriracha

snack -

watermelon

Day 2 (Tuesday):

breakfast-

3/4c sweet potato hash

2 eggs

1c blueberries

lunch -

field greens

5 grilled shrimp

tessemae's dressing

1/4c cashews

dinner -

peppers

chicken

salsa

snack -

cantaloupe

Day 3 (Wednesday)

breakfast -

pepper egg (whole egg cooked in a pepper)

1/2c sweet potato hash

watermelon

blueberries

slice applegate turkey

lunch -

grilled chicken

pickles

blueberries

carrot

snack -

cashews

dinner -

rib eye, grilled

asparagus

snack -

watermelon

Day 4 (today)

breakfast -

frittata of egg, spinach, prosciutto

snack -

raspberries

blueberries

I don't know if I'm eating enough...at the end of the night I want to snack. I was a huge pretzel eater and I just crave the texture of a pretzel. I'm being careful not to OD on fruit but I don't know what more to do. My fiancé hasn't experienced the backache and we eat the same things.

Any ideas?

• Moderators

You are not eating nearly enough. Review the meal template: http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

You need more protein, more veggies, and more fat at each meal. Protein as big as the palm of your hand, veggies filling the plate, and fat as big as your thumb at every meal. And you can double the protein and eat more fat too. 

The Whole30 is not a low carb diet. You can avoid carbs during a Whole30, but most people feel and perform better when they eat starchy veggies/carbs regularly... Sweet potatoes, winter squash, turnips, carrots, beets, plantains, etc. 

I am on day 11 and have started with the dull lower back pain.  Goes right down into my legs.  A flu like feeling.  I had this in beginning, then went away and now back.  Last night was unbearable, I stretched and was up all night with the pain. 

The headaches went away, but the neck pain is still there.  Chiropractor helps, stretching helps.  I assumed it was a detox from all the bread pasta and sugar I am used too.  I also sit for most of the day.

I think our bodies will have its ups and downs while we go through this.  The worse you ate before the whole 30, the worse the aches and pains....I think

Archived