Breaking other bad habits

LisaLulu

So my bad food habits are broken, the cravings are gone, I am 15 days post whole 30 and eating well and feeling good.

Anyway, eating this way is no longer taking up any head space or taking any willpower- I just do it. It got me thinking that I have some spare willpower now to maybe work on other areas of my life that are holding me back. I don't drink, smoke or consume caffiene and I also get plenty of exercise. My problem is my internet dragon.

I waste too much time online. Not when I could be doing something more fun mind you, but during little bursts of downtime during the day when the kids aren't demanding anything or during nap time or the evening. But I end up not getting much done and get overwhelmed during times when things get really busy (usually during the morning rush or when it's time to make dinner). 

I just wondered if there was a whole 30 style approach to breaking other habits? Is anyone changing other parts of their lives now that they have the food thing going smoothly?

Heck, sometimes I feel I'm on these forums a little too much myself.  :)

Not sure if you're aware of this, and I'm not sure this is what you're looking for, but the Whole30 program is just part of what the Hartwigs call Whole9: nine areas that we all should focus on for a good life. I haven't really explored it much myself, but you might want to take a look.

I don't have a problem with forums, it's Facebook that's the time sucker. Granted as a SAHM messaging my friends on there is my only adult contact all day sometimes so maybe it's a necessity...

Thanks for the link!

I know exactly where you come from! I have the same problem, no contact with other people during the day, I am desperate to talk to people, not just my kids  :P and I also just browse on the web and find "stuff to do or make" all the time... and than I don't make them, because I used up my time browsing and reading  <_<

I logged out of facebook on my phone (also because my battery was getting empty with the speed of light) and made the commitment not to use my phone when the kids were around. I didn't want them to think it's normal, because it's not! I try to make contact with other people live, so my little ones will learn to do the same. I have to say that I don't always succeed, but working on it.

I came across this blog post that gave me some insight. I didn't read the whole blog, but that post was an eye-opener for me.

I don't have a phone but I have a laptop, which means I'm totally unplugged when I'm out or have company, but not when I'm home. When I have the option of making face to face plans I always always take it, but it's hard when most of my friends work full time. It's not social connection that the internet is keeping me from, it's washing dishes I'm avoiding :P

I also don't choose virtual contact above live contact, sorry my post was not so clear (and most of my friends are also not sahms). What I wanted to say is that I was often busy with my phone while I could have been busy with the kids, do some chores or make something nice. By regulating my internet-time, I'm also creating more time for the other stuff :)

Archived