Have I found the right sauerkraut??

Guest WholeStanley

Guest WholeStanley

So the last week I have been feeling a little constipated and bloated, and after looking through the forum the only suggestions that I haven't already tried would be adding a digestive enzyme or fermented foods to my diet so today I set out looking for sauerkraut.

I know people have said you have to head to the refrigerated section to get the right stuff to help with your gut but I popped into our local Polish market this afternoon and they had a bucket of homemade sauerkraut on the floor. Do you think this is going to be ok? I know it wasn't in the freezer but does this sound like it would still help my gut?

Thanks in advance for any input

Oh yes! :) Sauerkraut right out of the crock is a great find! The only way I can get it around here is when I make my own. A couple of forkfulls at every meal for a couple of days should fix your tummy right up.

Guest WholeStanley

o yay! I was so excited just to find it on my doorstep but was worried it wouldn't be the one that I'm looking for, also I'm pleased that its only a couple of forkfuls - I have to admit I'm not a huge fan! haha

Thanks so much 

• Moderators

Maybe. They may be making the sauerkraut themselves and many people make it in a five-gallon bucket. And if they are selling it from a bucket, it may be very fresh sauerkraut. Ask them about it. What is important is that the sauerkraut not be canned or pasteurized because the heat kills the live bacteria that you want to consume. And yeah, it is important to eat the sauerkraut cold. If you heat it up, you may kill the bacteria, although cooking may not kill all of it the way canning or pasteurizing would. 

Guest WholeStanley

Thanks Tom, I will go back tomorrow and check they have made it themselves - and I will only eat it cold! 

Also I owe you an additional thanks, I kept seeing you singing the praises of sauerkraut but I must admit I wasn't too keen on trying it but I couldn't ignore how much emphasis you put on fermented foods! So I bit the bullet, have had two servings today and already it has got my digestion moving along nicely - feels so good not to be bloated and uncomfortable any more!

I think it just goes to show that this forum really benefits from all your contributions so thanks for all your time and comments, they have certainly been a huge help throughout my Whole30 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Archived