favorite breakfast casserole

Babsie95

I am about to start my second whole 30 and am wanting to make a breakfast casserole, or muffins (think individual servings of casserole not pastry) Does anyone have a favorite recipe or techinique?

please share it would be very helpful in my journey

I love making breakfast casseroles!  It's been one of my staple breakfasts.  It's also a great way to use up veggies that are on their last legs.  :)

I make it differently every time based on what I have, but I always use sweet potatoes sauteed in coconut oil as the "base."  I dice them pretty small, sautee them in coconut oil and season with salt and pepper to taste.  I then add some meat...again, depends on what I have.  Sometimes I use browned ground pork or ground beef, seasoned with salt, pepper and various herbs...sometimes I use sausage (my local co-op has fantastic bulk sausage that is whole30 compliant).  Then I add a layer of veggies - again, whatever I have around.  Onions, peppers, asparagus, broccoli, greens, salsa...the list goes on!  After the layer of veggies, I add my egg mixture.  For a large casserole pan or 12 cup muffin pan, I use a dozen eggs.  I add salt, pepper and herbs (fresh or dried) to the egg mixture, whisk it till it's frothy, then pour it over your layers of sweet potatoes, meat and veggies.  Bake in the oven at 375 for around 20-25 minutes. 

ETA:  I almost always have a piece with avocado on top!  Delicious!

• 1 month later...

Do you add anything else to the original recipe or just substitute with the broccoli slaw? I don't have a food processor and the thought of grating turnips by hand is not appealing. Breakfast is definitely a challenge since I miss my steel cut oatmeal with fruit and milk!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived