Post WO

markwardt

I'm just trying to open up options for the PWO meal.  Looking for ideas on protein sources and specifically wondering if Coconut Water is a good option.  I'm in AZ so I like the idea of refueling with a mineral rich and hydrating drink like coconut water, especially in the summer!  It's hot!  But I'm just wondering if the carbs in coconut water will refill liver glycogen or muscle glycogen...

And proteins, oi vey, I've just never gotten a good handle on PWO proteins...

• Moderators

You can drink coconut water if you run outside for more than one hour continuously. Otherwise, just don't do it. It is too much like drinking a sports drink or a soda for anyone but a hard training endurance athlete. The basic idea is that drinking coconut water is a good choice for marathon races, but not a Whole30-approved way to get your carbs after a heavy session in the weight room. We are serious about using real food for most meals, not drinks. 

The persuasive marketers that surround the fitness world try to make you think that water is simply not adequate to fuel top performance, but they are not trying to help you, they are trying to get you to buy their products. Water is more than adequate to keep you going for long periods of time. 

I don't know if coconut water refills liver glycogen or muscle glycogen, but my guess is that it would go to the liver the way fruit does. 

The gold standard for post workout food is chicken breast for protein and sweet potato for carbs. Protein is the most important part of post workout meals and it needs to be lean to facilitate rapid digestion. Other lean proteins often used include lean roast beef. 

Very active people benefit from eating starchy veggies as part of a post-workout meal. While sweet potatoes are popular, other choices include butternut squash, carrots, beets, turnips, and even plantains. 

Back when I consumed post-workout meals, I ate a can of tuna or sardines packed in water and a baked sweet potato. Tuna and sardines are not quite as lean as would be ideal, but the stuff packed in water is adequate and I found it very convenient to just pop a top on a can to get my food. And I did not feel a need to keep a baked sweet potato refrigerated until I ate it.

• Moderators

I've heard a lot of opinions on how quickly to consume it.  If my goal right now is fat loss, how quickly do I need to eat the PWO meal...

Thanks for you answer!

Your muscles can best utilize the protein in the first 30 minutes after your workout. If your goal is weight loss, you might go easy on the amount of sweet potatoes/carby recovery food (or skip it altogether). However, that will leave you a little low on energy, so your workout the next day might suffer.

Perhaps some of you chiming in here can offer me some suggestions for post-WO...I absolutely cannot eat solid food within 30 minutes of an intense workout. I can't keep it down. So my question is, does anyone have any palatable suggestions for getting some egg white powder in with starchy veggie carbs? I've mashed it with sweet potato but I can't even eat that. So far what works best is applesauce but I'd like to get away from the fruit as a post-WO carb. I'd appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!

Kristie I know the feeling! While it's a good idea to eat something within 30 mins, I've found I can wait a little longer to eat and still be ok for the next workout. Keep experimenting with foods and times, then see how you feel later in the day and in the next workouts to gauge your success in refueling. Personally I like a purée mix of fruit, egg white, and sweet potato if my stomach is queasy. Not quite a smoothie, more solid and spoonable, using water to get it right. Sounds awful typed up! But it works. I eat it slowly over the hour after a workout.

Thanks LucieB! I had thought about diluting the sweet potato with liquid but got caught up thinking it had to to be fruit juice. Didn't think about water because you're right...it doesn't sound good typed up! Lol. I was thinking I needed something sweet but obviously I needed to be reminded that it doesn't have to be, haha. I guess I will get in the kitchen with some sweet potato and my egg white powder and experiment with consistencies...and maybe some cinnamon to cover the taste of the egg white powder!

And I'll also play around with trying out a "real food" post-WO a little later, maybe 45 minutes or so. Thank you!!

Watch the ingredients of the egg white powder. Some, especially the baking aisle ones, can contain a chemical that promotes foaming for meringues. Test the carton egg whites, they are pasteurized and don't have to be cooked.

Archived