Afraid of the dreaded "starting over" but hungry

Guest WholeStanley

I agree that the scale means nothing, excpt that I have spent seven years with the goal of losing half my body weight, and I'm seven lbs from that goal.  seven lbs. Or was. Now I'm eight.  

Once I see that goal met, I'm happy to ditch the scale forever.  good riddance.  

I'm sorry but I think you are really contradicting yourself here. Was losing seven lbs your only goal when you decided to take part in a Whole30? I suspect it wasn't and I would recommend that for the next 30 days (at least) you focus on those other goals

I don't think it contradicts, really.  I have learned over the last seven years that there are more important bench marks than the scale.  But I am also a goal-oriented, type-A person, and when I make a goal, I intend to see it through.  :)

I can understand that. I've been in a similar situation.

But what if you add five pounds of muscle? Your clothes fit the same, you're healthy, but the number on the scale is higher than your magic number. That's the point people are trying to make: First, a difference of one pound overnight means basically nothing, and second, the number on the scale is at best a rough indicator of any sort of health. If you had 135 pounds to lose, sure, clearly that isn't all muscle. But the closer you are to your healthy weight, the less the exact number means.

Did you take measurements at the beginning of your Whole30? At the end (don't measure yet!), that's a better way to see progress - there are a lot of stories here of people not losing weight, but losing inches. Their body composition changed even if the scale number didn't.

it's true - I also added on a weight lifting regime at the same time. *blush*  So I know there's muscle being added.  
But the total truth is that I really want to hit the damn magic number and move on with my life, and the only thing I could think to improve upon was to ditch my reliance on carbs for energy.  Hence Whole30.

I did take measurements, and haven't checked since day 1, although my clothes fit the same.  

it's true - I also added on a weight lifting regime at the same time. *blush* So I know there's muscle being added.

But the total truth is that I really want to hit the damn magic number and move on with my life, and the only thing I could think to improve upon was to ditch my reliance on carbs for energy. Hence Whole30.

I did take measurements, and haven't checked since day 1, although my clothes fit the same.

So have you not been eating starchy/carb dense vegetables? Being hungry just makes your body hold onto fat even more, so try to trust the program and that those last stubborn pounds will fall off.

If you started lifting at the same time - please please put the scale away!! Tough love. :) The number really isn't telling you a darn thing because you don't know if that pound is muscle or fat or water or hormonal or... you get the idea.

I really do get the magic number thing, but believe me, it's even better to just throw out the scale and forget about the number (I speak from experience). Go by how you feel, what your skin looks like, that sort of thing. It's so freeing. The scale has served its purpose (and if you're lifting, you're probably at a gym that has a scale, so you can check in every month or so - that would give you a more accurate picture than looking at daily fluctuations).

So have you not been eating starchy/carb dense vegetables? Being hungry just makes your body hold onto fat even more, so try to trust the program and that those last stubborn pounds will fall off.

I eat a LOT of broccoli.  I also enjoy asparagus, and green beans.  I don't care for sweet potatoes.  

For lunch i just ate liver, onions, apple (sauted in with the onions), broccoli, and a plantain fried in coconut oil.  

If you started lifting at the same time - please please put the scale away!! Tough love. :) The number really isn't telling you a darn thing because you don't know if that pound is muscle or fat or water or hormonal or... you get the idea.

I really do get the magic number thing, but believe me, it's even better to just throw out the scale and forget about the number (I speak from experience). Go by how you feel, what your skin looks like, that sort of thing. It's so freeing. The scale has served its purpose (and if you're lifting, you're probably at a gym that has a scale, so you can check in every month or so - that would give you a more accurate picture than looking at daily fluctuations).

*sigh* I know this is good advice. :P  I am having a hard time with the fact that for seven years I've been aiming for a goal weight by a certain day, and now that day is six weeks away.  And I'm sooo close!  

*sigh* I know this is good advice. :P  I am having a hard time with the fact that for seven years I've been aiming for a goal weight by a certain day, and now that day is six weeks away.  And I'm sooo close!  

Please read this article: hopefully it will change your mind, as least for the duration of your Whole30. Have a friend take your scale out of your house, if that's the length you need to go, to get off that scale.

http://everydaypaleo.com/attention-scale-addicts-part-2/

Also important to note:  Broccoli and other green veg don't really give you a bunch of carbs.  If sweet potatoes aren't your thing, try winter squashes, beets, rutabaga, turnips, celery root, carrots and other carb dense veggies.

Another thing to consider: If (and I'm not saying you were...) you were underfed before this Whole30, your body may take advantage of the extra nutrition for awhile. Once it's comfortable that it will get enough to support all it's activities (including your new weightlifting regime), it will level out that storage.  You might enjoy reading The Paleo Athlete by Steph Gaudreau - she gives some great ideas for fueling an athletic body.

thank you for the thoughtful response, Robin Strathdee. :)

I always considered broccoli as being high in carbs, but I see how it wouldn't measure up to root vegetables.  I'll try to incorporate more of a blend next week. :)

I don't think I was under fed before Whole30 in that I ate a lot of (grain-free) snacks - mostly almond butter mixed with coconut oil, or "energy balls" (dates with almond butter, coconut and cocoa), so I think the calories were there. It's the switch from those types of calories to a stronger emphasis on protein that is throwing me for a loop.  I just don't love that much protein!  But my intention with W30 was to get rid of my need for sugars, so I guess I will learn to adapt.  

Archived