Just getting started

drjeni

Trying to get my life in order for this whole 30 program - today is clean out the cupboards and fridge day! I learned awhile back that food changes are so much smoother when I arrange my world for success - love that it's a built in step on this program :)

If you are hungry, it may be from a couple of different reasons:  one, not enough food.  Many people do not eat enough when they are starting out (believe me, I had trouble with this too).  The other reason is not enough good fats (avocado, olives, coconut, etc).  

This is a good place to log your daily food - you will get lots of help from members on the forum!

Follow the meal template!  Print it out and hang it on your fridge.  A meal is 1-2 palms of protein (if eggs, a serving is what you can hold in your hand, usually 3-4).  1-2 thumb sizes of healthy fats.  1-3 CUPS of veg!  If you want fruit, add it to the meal, don't let it replace your veg!

Good luck!

Thanks - here goes :) I'm more or less following the Week 1 plan from theclothesmakethegirl.com

Day 1 -

M1: 2 Roasted sweet potatoes, 1 piece bacon, 1 soft boiled egg. I don't usually have a big breakfast and this was hard to finish.

M2: Chocolate chili & zucchini soup

Snack: 2 cups snap peas & 1/4 c almonds

M3: Paleo Pad Thai

Day 2-

M1: since I struggled with breakfast day 1 I found a green smoothie recipe- 2 cups greens (a mix of spinach/collards/kale), 1/2 c frozen berries, 1 frozen banana, 1 Tbsp almond butter, 1 Tbsp applesauce, 1 Tbsp flaxseed plus a bit of water to thin

M2: Paleo Pad Thai

Snack: snow peas + almonds like day 1 and an extra banana

M3: Lamb burger with anise & mint, lettuce, tomato, olive oil mayo + kale salad with carrots and cabbage

Day 3-

M1: Green smoothie

M2: Italian Roasted Pork + 2 cups greens with Moroccan dipping sauce

Snack: snow peas + almonds + banana + apple

M3: Kabob- 1 skewer each of lamb & chicken, simple green salad with tomato, carrot, and cucumber

Although not technically banned, smoothies are discouraged on whole30.  They are digested much faster than food and you will be hungry later.  Also, by just having the smoothie for breakfast, you are missing out on your protein (saw the almond butter for fat).  With adding so much fruit, you might also be feeding your sugar dragon.

Isn't the moroccan dipping sauce the bomb!?!  I love it on everything!  Try it on some zucchini (or if you have a spiralizer, try it on zoodles - amazing!).

Ok the dipping sauce is amazing!! Such flavor and brightness, I'm loving it and that lunch was prolly one of my fave meals so far, though the chocolate chili is pretty amazing too.

You're probably right about the sugar dragon in the smoothie, hadn't thought of it like that - plus I didn't realize those weren't ideal, since all the ingredients are ok. Today I'm planning the pork + zucchini soup. I'm not sold on the idea of soup for breakfast but have been pleasantly surprised by other aspects of this journey, so fingers crossed :)

Well done on making it through Day 3! I definitely found the first few days difficult in terms of changing my thinking, what do I have available to eat, what's my go-to etc. 

I just made Scotch eggs today, which can easily be a simple breakfast/M1 that you can take with you and eat a bit later if you struggle with food first thing in the morning. Also, if you're finding the smoothies an easier way of eating that first meal, and if you're not adverse to raw eggs (since you're eating mayo I would guess probably not?) then you could blend 2-3 eggs into your smoothie to add your protein in until you can transition yourself off the smoothies. Incidentally, I'm not surprised you found your M1 on Day 1 difficult - two sweet potatoes is a lot of heavy filling starch! I would suggest less starchy vegetables and instead have some green or other lighter vegetables, as you won't feel quite so full and heavy.

Good luck with your journey!

Thanks! I'll try the scotch eggs :) I like the idea of portable protein. I'm also fine with raw eggs but am going to work on not taking the easy way out with the smoothies, lol.

Day 4-

M1: Italian Roast Pork + 2 c Steamed Broccoli + 2 mini plums - turns out the idea of soup still didn't appeal. Also had a hard time eating all if this but did it! Glad I did - dunno if it was this or not but today was the first day I didn't feel like I needed to majorly graze all afternoon!

M2: Chocolate Chili + Zucchini Soup + 1 peach - that chocolate chili is awesome!! Didn't quite finish the zucchini soup, had about 1/4 c left of my 2 c serving but added it to M3.

M3: Roast chicken thigh + 2 c steamed green beans & leftover zucchini soup from lunch

I'm drinking a LOT more water - probably 1.5L of mineral water (I prefer the bubbles) and 0.5-1L of flat water. I was never good at getting the 8 recommended glasses in - didn't feel good to drink that much unless I was super active - but I've been guzzling it this week!

Oh and the sweet potatoes from day 1 were little, that's why I had 2. That and I've loved sweet potato hash in the past. The mashed / roasted texture didn't work as well for me and you're right - it was a heavy start to the first day and that's why I switched to the smoothies. Hoping to be back on track :)

Your Day 4 looks like it was fantastic! Did you have some fat incorporated into those meals, cooking oil etc?

I find texture to be a very big component of whether I like something. I prefer the roasted texture of sweet potato, but don't like the texture of mashed or quick-cooked methods like hash. It just takes trial and error to find out what you like. 

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fat intake - but getting better each day. The pork cooked in its own juices and I didn't pour them off. I found the pork juice drizzled over the veggies to be awesome! Same with the chicken - cooked in its own juice and that drizzled over the veg.

Day 5 is shaping up nicely as well, though still pretty sleepy.

M1: Roast Chicken Thigh + 2c Green Beans + 1 peach - the lighter veggie was perfect for m1 (broccoli yesterday was a bit too much).

Snack: 1c snap peas + 1/4 c almonds

M2: Italian Roast Pork + 2 c broccoli + Moroccan dipping sauce + 2 mini plums

M3: Asian Beef and Broccoli from it starts with food (sans bell pepper as I don't have any) + drizzle fish sauce, including notes other than orange (none of those either!)

Day 6! Felt really great today - better energy, happier outlook, only a little touch of kill all the things. Hooray :) Haven't used it yet but just made my own ghee from nom nom paleo! Very excited to be cooking tomorrow - went a little crazy at the store today with fun protein and I can't wait to try some of clothesmakethegirl's five spice ribs... Mmmmmm.

M1: Asian beef & broccoli from it starts with food, sub cumin for the cinnamon and didn't do any of the notes. 1 nectarine.

Snack: 1 c green tea, 1 apple

M2: roast chicken thigh + 2 c steamed green beans + Moroccan dipping sauce.

M3: Italian roast pork + 2 c steamed broccoli + Moroccan dipping sauce

Day 7 (yesterday)- massive cooking day for the upcoming week. Good energy and mood levels, plus dinner was positively decadent and that is a great feeling! Set some new goals for this week -

G1: eat within an hour of waking - I've not complied with this - esp over the weekend

G2: exercise at least 3 x / week - now that my knee is feeling better, time to get out there and use this energy

G3: be better prepared at meal times so I'm not digging through the fridge and wondering what to do

M1: Thai Basil Beef from it starts with food + carrots + ginger + red pepper flakes + soft boiled egg

M2: a handful each of broccoli, asparagus, chopped Brussels sprouts, and green beans + 1Tbsp ghee + Italian roast pork from clothesmakethegirl.com + 1 nectarine

M3: Cauliflower couscous cooked in ghee + Taj Mahal curry from clothesmakethegirl.om

Whew! Made it through day 8! This was a big craving day for me - I dreamt about bean & cheese burritos with beer, logged in to amazon and all my recommendations were things like Annie's mac n cheese and Kashi's cookies, felt like the universe was thumbing its nose at me... But I made it and I had some awesome deliciousness along the way. Also was really tired today - nearly fell asleep on the train to work and had a bit of a roller coaster emotionally. Work was lame and I found out I have to wait another 8 weeks to run on my knee, even though it feels great :(

M1: only an hour 15 after I woke up, huge progress made there, though still not quite where I wanna be. Greek beef stew from clothesmakethegirl over cauliflower couscous. Great flavor but WAY too meaty and I didn't plan enough veg. Plus a nectarine.

M2: 3 lemongrass pork patties from epicurious (minus the sugar) served over 2c greens and drizzled with the dipping sauce (also sans sugar) + 2 c zucchini soup to make up for breakfast and cuz it's delicious

Snack: banana

M3: 5 spice ribs and 2 c golden cauliflower soup from clothesmakethegirl. These were amazing and totally hit the spot!

More food dreams led up to day 9... None I remember from last night (leading into day 10 today) but the one before day 9 I was doing shots of champagne... Not typically something to shoot :)

Day 9 meals-

M1: Taj Mahal Curry over Cauliflower Couscous cooked in ghee. So so good. This is a fave. Sat down at 52 minutes - under an hour after waking!

M2: Chocolate chili and 2 c greens + a banana

M3: Thai Basil Beef from it starts with food. Really tasty!

Went to the gym and rode the stationary bike for 20 minutes, which is all I'm allowed to do with the torn acl. Boring but got it done and felt good. A little slow on the rpm but I'm supposed to take it easy so trying to see it as an accomplishment.... Here's to day 10- sposed to be a toughy!

Spent some time wandering about the forum tonight and really enjoying the sharing of the stories and realized I have talked about food but not much about me :) A bit about me - I'm 5'4" and have teetered back and forth across the obese BMI line basically since puberty. I did a medical weight management program two years ago - one with powdered food and bars, super calorie restricted - and lost about 50 pounds (start 210, end 157). When you start reintroducing real food, there are all these support classes designed to help you do it properly but the message was just so depressing that I started playing hooky to class... Basically - if you've lost weight and want to keep it off you have to eat food with no or low fat for the rest of your days and if you start to slip, you need to go back to three powdered meals and day and three super light food-based meals. That just doesn't feel like living to me!

So I ate real food and I gained about 15 pounds (to 170) and then stayed really nicely there for two years. This spring I had some weight creep and it started to get out of hand - I gained 15 pounds between 4/20 and 6/15 and I was trying to slow the creep so I was following all the "right" eating patterns - frustrating to say the least. I found myself pushing 200 again but now tired and crabby all the time. Went to a (quack) nutritionist who gave me the fat diagnosis... She actually told me that since my mother and grandmother are overweight, that I have the gene and should just be thankful that I don't have a family history of high BP or diabetes... I was floored. I should be grateful that I feel this awful?

My GP gave me an article from the NYT, which led me to read up on Paleo eating, which led me here. To Day 10 of my first Whole30. I'd love to lose weight but I really want the other benefits the program can have - better energy and mood! Plus I don't know of any food allergies or intolerances but I'm curious to see how reintroduction goes. I love the idea of using myself as a science experiment in eating :) I'm enjoying the journey so far - my symptoms according to the timeline have been fairly mild but I'm also not seeing much change. Reminding myself to be patient and let the program work its "magic" over time - as they say in ISWF: I didn't get here in 10 days so I shouldn't expect to have left already ... But that's easy to know and hard to feel.

On the plus side - I am eating such delicious amazing food!! My adult food-conscious self had dinner with my inner child tonight: grass fed ground beef chunks over a bed of organic greens with homemade sweet potato fries! I've never been much if a ketchup fan so I didn't miss that at all. To be fair - I haven't missed much. I thought my diet coke addiction would be hard to kick but it wasn't bad at all. I miss beer/wine at dinner but not overly so and I've had some fairly vivid food dreams where I am in raptures over non-compliant foods that I rarely eat anyways - dream bean burritos gave me the most OMG I WANT feeling to date - and I miss my morning cafe au lait. But all meat chili feels decadent and wonderful. I'm discovering new veggies to love - I hate(d) cauliflower but am LOVING cauliflower couscous and cauliflower soup!! I'm getting myself back in the kitchen (we have an on again off again hot and heavy sort of relationship, my kitchen and I). Anywho - just wanted to put this all down somewhere for posterity :)

As for my meals other than dinner today-

M1: 1 chicken thigh with 2 c mixed asparagus, broccoli, and green beans all cooked in coconut oil and sprinkled with ras al hanout (sp?)

M2: 5 spice pork ribs (2 palms!) and 2 c cauliflower soup

I had a cup of green tea between M1 & M2 but I'm not sure if that counts as a snack, if not - no snacks today, hooray!!

Whole30 Day 11 (yesterday)-

M1: Chicken thigh with 2 c mixed asparagus, broccoli, green beans cooked in ghee

M2: Pork lemongrass patties (3 - they're 2" diameter) over 2 c broccoli, drizzled w/ dressing made from rice vinegar + fish sauce + olive oil

M3: 4 shrimp over broccoli, cooked in coconut oil with lime & herbs

Super tired last night - all that waking up at 5:30 regardless if the bedtime, no doubt. Went to bed at 8pm and woke up at 5:30 but managed to get back to sleep until 6:30

Whole30 Day 12 (yesterday)-

M1: Chocolate chili over greens + a banana

M2: 3 slices Roast Beef deli meat (it was really difficult to find this without sugar!) and snap peas

M3: Ginger lime shrimp (OMG delicious) with mango and pineapple on the skewers, 2 c mixed green beans, broccoli, and asparagus and mixed berries with whipped coconut milk (with vanilla bean seeds) and toasted almonds in a red, white, and blue parfait (Happy 4th of July!)

I was a lil worried that the dessert might set off the sugar dragon but found myself reaching for seconds of the whipped coconut milk. Makes me wonder if I need more fat in my food... Almost no fat in my lunch (it was picnic style and I worried so much over finding the protein that I forgot fat!). The berries were yummy but it was the coconut milk that I craved after!

Whole30 Day 12 (yesterday)-

M1: Chocolate chili over greens + a banana

M2: 3 slices Roast Beef deli meat (it was really difficult to find this without sugar!) and snap peas

M3: Ginger lime shrimp (OMG delicious) with mango and pineapple on the skewers, 2 c mixed green beans, broccoli, and asparagus and mixed berries with whipped coconut milk (with vanilla bean seeds) and toasted almonds in a red, white, and blue parfait (Happy 4th of July!)

I was a lil worried that the dessert might set off the sugar dragon but found myself reaching for seconds of the whipped coconut milk. Makes me wonder if I need more fat in my food... Almost no fat in my lunch (it was picnic style and I worried so much over finding the protein that I forgot fat!). The berries were yummy but it was the coconut milk that I craved after!

On the deli meat, also confirm that it doesn't contain carrageenan: that's usually the biggie you need to watch out for with deli meat.

You are likely right on adding more fat during the day.  If you were to do yesterday all over again, I'd add some avocado on top of that chili, and drizzle some olive oil over those snap peas, for example.

Thanks :) I worked so hard on finding the meat that was compliant - carrageenan wasn't nearly as pervasive as the sugar in my search - I completely forgot to pack any fat. Definitely regretted it later - hence the coconut milk double dose desire + the almonds. I'll definitely pack "fat sides" for lunches out like that next time - lesson learned!

Day 13-

M1: Taj Mahal curry over cauliflower couscous (cooked in ghee)

M2: Lunch out at a local cafe - Mixed green salad with almonds, drizzled with olive oil & balsamic (hold the Parmesan) + 2 poached eggs + peppermint tea

M3: Salmon a l'Afrique du Nord (wow - so so so good!) from Well Fed with cumin roasted carrots and a handful of berries with 1/2 coconut milk

Felt hungry too soon after M2 - had thought the 2 eggs would be enough but obviously needed at least 3. Really satisfying dinner - easy, quick, and scrumptious. Couldn't get enough of the spice rub crust on the fish - highly recommended!!

Wow, looks like you're going really well even with a few little slip-ups, and you're managing to eat food out! In the future, if you're after roast beef rather than ham or salami, roasting a piece of beef is really easy and you can slice your own leftover for days. My method: meat in a roasting tray on a rack to raise it out of the liquid, add wine/stock/water with desired flavourings (I use coconut aminos in the Whole30 to sub for stock/wine flavour, but also my usual diced onion and a herb mix), oil on the meat then any herbs/spices you want, then cover the whole thing with foil (wrap around/under the edges of the tray), in the oven on 170C fan-forced or 190 without (rotate every 1/2 hour if no fan) and cook 1.5-2 hours for a family sized roast, pull out and rest for at least 10-15 minutes under foil, make gravy from the pan juices/onion bits.

Thanks MissWolvie - it never even occurred to me to roast my own beef - what a great idea!

As for eating out - choice of venue is key. Even the place with the amazing salad only had two things on the menu I could eat. Everything else had sauce or grains mixed in such a way that separating without changing the dish was basically impossible. I have book club on Tuesday and the place has things that look modifiable online... We shall see!

Archived