Dewdrop75's Log Started 6/22/14

Dewdrop75

I am really excited to get this started. I saw a FB friend post that he did it about a month ago and have been thinking about it, then he posted that he lost 50lbs which really motivated me to take a closer look at this. I read the book, and did a lot of research, planned my meals for the first week, and got some of my groceries, hubby is going to get the rest tonight.

Things I am hoping to fix about my body:

Itchy skin

Chronic Athletes Foot

Trichotillomania

IBS

Fibromyalgia

Joint Pain

Foot Pain

Snoring

I could stand to lose at least 50lbs, so hopefully this will kickstart weight loss too.

My eating habits have been really bad, I (used to) eat a lot of processed foods, sugars, artificial sweeteners, rarely ate veggies, etc. This is really going to be a big change for me, so I am hoping that I will see some drastic results.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Day 1

I started out the day feeling really good about the Whole30. I made sweet potato hash and a fried egg. I was skeptical, thought I wouldn't like it, but it was very tasty. Lunch I was not so impressed with. Should have known, I never have liked chicken hotdogs. My planned dinner was not able to happen, forgot I asked Kevin to get frozen chicken breast, so I had to come up with a plan B. It worked out fine, I made a salad with grilled chicken. The mayo I made earlier didn't turn out good, lesson learned do not use EVOO for mayo. Oh well, I made the mayo into ranch dressing and it was edible. All in all a good first day, I think the little mishaps just prove that I can handle what ever comes my way.

Days 2-4

I was already starting to feel pretty tired by the end of day 2, a little light headed as well. Day 3 I was exhausted by the end of the night, I work 9am-8pm three days a week and that was my second 9-8. We were really busy all day, so it is pretty normal to feel exhausted after a day like that. Yesterday (Day 4) I was actually feeling better. We had a little slower day too at work, so that helped. I was still in a good mood yesterday too, didn't feel like killing any one let alone all things. LOL

I did really well with my food choices. I've had Applegate Hot Dogs, Chicken, Tuna, Green Beans, Celery, Carrots, Salad Greens, Eggs, Cucumber, Coconut Milk, Olives, Strawberries, Raspberries. I'm still drinking my coffee, but I'm usuing coconut milk instead of sweetened creamer that I used to use. I'm actually enjoying the taste of the coffee without all the extra flavorings.

I'm really glad I decided to sign up for the daily emails, they have been really motivating to me. And the link at the bottom where I check if I did good or did bad really is great, makes me really want to click the I did good link!

So far today I didn't really get much for breakfast, I got a late start, I slept in this morning and then needed to get the kids off to day care. I grabbed a banana and a La Croix so I could at least get something into my stomach, but my 5 year old was hungry, so after just two bites of the banana I gave it to her. Now I'm home and it's lunch time, so I might as well just have lunch.

Welcome to the Whole30! It sounds like you are a very busy person so I would encourage you to spend some time this weekend doing prep work for next week. Based on the food log you posted for Day 1 it sounds like you might not be eating enough. For your crazy mornings I would advice having some hard boiled eggs and pre chopped veggies ready to go so that you get protein, fat, and veggies within an hour of waking up. This will be key to energy improvements. Eating fruit by itself causes blood sugar spikes that can make you hungry faster and crave more sugar.

If you have not already I highly recommend printing out the meal template and hanging it on your fridge. So helpful!

You are off to a good start and you can finish strong! 

Thanks Physibeth!

Yeah, I have three really busy days at the beginning of the week, but on Thursdays and Friday's I am off work. I work on Saturday, but not as long of a day, just 9-5. I do agree though, that I really should do more food prep on those days off to make it easier on me. I've been coming home at night and preparing my lunch for the next day, and at that point I am really tired already as it is.

I've been having eggs for breakfast every morning, with today as the exception. I got jumbo eggs from a local farm and they are really big, so I've been having two of those prepared different ways. I have been just having my fruit at lunch or dinner, and keeping the servings of fruit to a minimum. Last night I looked at the food template again, I kept forgetting how much olives to have. I was surprised to see that I should be eating a handful of olives, I was only eating 4-5 olives with my meals.

I'm not super familiar with jumbo eggs but if you can't possibly hold more than 2 whole jumbo eggs in your hand without dropping them than that is a fine serving. If you can hold on to 3 you should eat 3. I eat 4 large eggs almost every day and I have small hands.

Keep making the small adjustments as you move forward and you will have great success!

Thanks, I don't think I could get another of those eggs in my hands, I figured I would eat 3 large eggs, but since these are jumbo I eat two.

I was so hungry after I ate my lunch which was: A whole Can of Tuna, a Whole Can of Green Beans and a handful of Olives. I ended up frying up my last two eggs and eating them as well (figured since I missed breakfast, I probably needed something more.) I am still a little hungry, not sure if I should eat more, I suppose I could eat more veggies.

Hey dewdrop! I'm a newbie at day seven! Things are going well and I feel much better. I was having health issues - and remarkably some of those have completely disappeared already. I'm walking a mile to a mile and a half daily. The issue is how to maintain the diet when for instance, we go out of town? The town we must visit is zero on healthy restaurants and partner loves to eat out and is NOT whole30! I'm beginning to feel very anxious about what to do in these situations. I have the book on order but I haven't received it yet so I've been winging the Whole 30 online. I'm doing great but when this out of town business came up and I couldn't find a restaurant that caters to our kind of menu...I'm freaking out! It's so great to have this community - people who understand and encourage. We just gotta hang in there dewdrop and if anybody has any ideas about eating out I am listening! Thanks!

Day 6

Meal 1
3 Fried eggs
Coffee with coconut milk
Baby Carrots

Meal 2
Lemon & Rosemary Chicken
Can of Green Beans
Handful Olives
Berry LaCroix

Meal 3
2 Applegate Beef Hotdogs
Carrots
Raspberries in Coconut Milk
Coconut LaCroix

Feeling pretty good this morning. I got up much earlier than I usually do on the weekend, which is huge for me. I was really hungry when I work up, which is another big thing for me. I used to not feel hungry for quite a while after I woke up, so it seems like something is working so far. I also have not experienced the Kill All Things phase, hopefully I passed that one up and it's not just going to happen later for me.

Day 7

Meal 1

3 Egg Omelet

2 slices No Sugar Bacon (first time having bacon since I started and boy was that a treat!)

1 Roma Tomato

Coffee with Coconut Milk

Meal 2 (Planned)

Can of Tuna

Can of Green Beans

Almonds

Applesauce

Meal 3 (Planned)

Coconut Crusted Chicken

Cilantro Lime Cauliflower Rice

Black Olives

Pineapple

We call the seeds of Cilantro Coriander. :) I didn't use ground chicken, I know I could find it, but I prefer chicken breast. I actually just used the ingredients (except I used coconut flour instead of almond flour) to coat the chicken and fried it in the frying pan after flattening it with a meat tenderizer. It tasted pretty good, but wasn't as crispy as I was hoping it to be. The cilantro "rice" was actually really good. I am not a fan of cauliflower, so for me to like that means a lot! The lime and cilantro really made the difference. And it tasted really good with the "rice".

Day 8

I think my Kill All Things is happening right now, guess I am a little late. Either that or my kids are working extra hard to drive me crazy. At any rate I'm definitely in a mood!

Meal 1

3 Fried Eggs

Carrots and a Roma Tomato

Coconut Milk in coffee

Meal 2

Leftover Coconut Crusted Chicken

1/2 Large Sweet Potato

Almonds

Meal 3 (in the oven)

Meatloaf

Green Beans

Olives (substituted in the Meatloaf for Mushrooms)

Day 9 (Monday 6-30-14)

Meal 1

4 Hard Boiled Eggs (they were small)

Baby Carrots

Coconut Milk in my coffee

Meal 2

Leftover Coconut Crusted Chicken

Cauliflower Cilantro Lime "RIce"

Meal 3

Leftover Meatloaf

Green Beans

Olives (in the meatloaf)

Almonds (felt I needed something more and since I didn't get fat in my Meal 2, figured I needed that.)

We had an early meeting that morning, usually I am really groggy when I have to be to work early, but I was feeling really alert and ready to go. Of course morning meetings at work mean bagels and other sweet breakfast foods, I didn't even feel tempted to eat any of it. I wore a pair of pants that day that I am sure were snug before and now they feel really loose. Is that possible already? Even if it was just an illusion I don't care, because it made me feel really good.

Day 10 (Tuesday 7-1-14)

I really should have saved some of my leftovers, I think next time I make meals like that I should double the recipes so I have more leftovers to grab and take to work. My meals this day were kind of boring.

Meal 1

4 Fried Eggs

Forget which veggie I had, but I did have something

Meal 2

Can of Tuna

Can of Green Beans

Black Olives

Meal 3

2 Applegate Beef Hotdogs

Carrots & Celery

Black Olives

I was feeling a little more tired that day, I usually do feel pretty tired on Tuesday's. We got stuck at work until 9pm, so I worked 9am-9pm that day. Luckily I was able to take a quick break to eat supper.

Day 11 (Wednesday 7-2-14)

Meal 1

4 Hard Boiled Eggs

Cucumbers

Meal 2

Lemon & Rosemary Chicken

Can of Green Beans

Almonds

Meal 3

Lemon & Rosemary Chicken

Carrots & Celery

Coconut milk with Strawberries

I got up early enough to make my chicken, I was happy to have something other than hotdogs and tuna. My chicken turned out really good too, so that was a plus. I feel pretty good, I checked out the timeline last night and noticed that Days 10-11 are the days most likely to quit the program, so far I haven't really felt like any days have made me want to quit. But it makes me feel good that I am hopefully over that hump.

I have been getting up earlier than I used to, hopefully my energy level will continue to rise. I haven't really done much exercising since I started, thinking I will go on a walk today.

Day 12

Meal 1

Italian Sausage

Cucumbers

Meal 2

Applegate Beef Hotdogs

Tomato

Black Olives

Meal 3

Hamburger Patty w/Tomato

Sweet Potato Slices

Black Olives

I was up earlier than usual for a day off. Got up, made my breakfast and got the kids ready for daycare. Came home and did some housework and recipe searching. Picked up the kids and stopped at the Farmer's Market for my CSA Share. We got, Leeks, Bok Choy, a small Summer Squash, Green Onions, Radishes, Kohlrabi, Strawberries and eggs. I'm feeling pretty good, my daycare lady said she could tell I looked more alert this morning when I dropped the kids off.

Day 13 (4th of July)

Meal 1

Fried Eggs

Tomato

Meal 2

Leftover Hamburger Patty

Homemade Mayo

Tomato, Carrots & Celery

Meal 3

Steak (we had this in the freezer, not sure about the meat, cut off the fat)

Sweet Potato Steak Fries

Black Oilves

Strawberry, Raspberry & Blueberries (trying to be festive with July 4th)

Day 14

Meal 1

Omelet w/Italian Sausage

Tomato

Meal 2

Packed a picnic lunch

Tuna Lettuce Wraps

w/Homemade Mayo

Carrots & Celery

Meal 3

Hamburger Patty w/ Homemade Mayo topped with green olives (soooo goood!)

Cucumbers

Raspberries & Blueberries

Archived